My Famiily History

k.sorensen

I am not sure this is the proper forum to get information on my great-grandfather. But am interested in filing a petition for degree and would need more information. I will not list his name, unless further directed to. I do know that he was a member of the Bordentown, NJ order, not sure what lodge. Can someone please direct me in proper way to gather this information.

Thank You

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Start with the Grand Lodgein the state of New Jersey.
took me about 30 seconds to find Mount Moriah Lodge #28 in Bordentown, NJ. Their website is Mount Moriah #28 F&AM

The Grand Lodge of NJ has a Lodge Locator if that's not the right one.

Good Luck.
BTW, whether or not your GGF was a Mason has no bearing on whether you can become one. It would be a nice touch if you could join the Lodge he was a member of, but you would have to be accepted on your own merits.
No one can invite you, you must join of your own free will and accord.

S&F

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Also, having been a Lodge Secretary and fielding these kinds of requests, allow me to tell you that your relative's petition is not really going to give you very much information. A lot of people think that they will reap a bunch of genealogical info from a Masonic petition, but it's really not true. Now, a petition will tell you what his address was, and who he worked for, his wife's name (if he was married at the time he petitioned) and basic info like birthdate and birthplace, but most people already have that information. AND that's assuming his petition can be found. Water damage, fire damage, mice or insect damage, and even poor filing procedure all get in the way of discovering an old petition. Be prepared - you just might get disappointed.

As others have already written, being a Lewis (someone with a Masonic ancestor, particularly a father) will not help you become a Mason. And as I've written, a Masonic petition will really not give you much info.

k.sorensen

Thanks everyone for the replies. I do understand that my acceptance into a lodge will be based on who I am and not on the charcter of my GG grandfather. I just noticed on the petition and in the guides to becoming a member, there is and has to be a masonic relationship. So that is why I am seeking information. Unfortunately I know very little about my paternal side of the family other than names and affilitations. My family grew up in Bordentown, NJ; but currently I reside outside of Nashville,TN. I would like to become an Eastern Star. My generation, from what I understand, would be the last generation able to meet the standards of lineage required to become a member. It would be a shame if my children and there childrens children would not get the oppertunity to participate because of past personal family delema's. I believe in the creed that is stated, taking good men and making them better. If I am not sutabile to be accpeted now, I know in the future I will be. My contribution to the world will be great and I search for an out-let that will aid in my cause. Any further information or guidence would be greatly appreciated.

DavisB

If you are a male, than you first must become a Freemason before you can petition Eastern Star. If you are a female however than I think the best thing to do would be to contact your local chapter. In Tennessee, the Great granddaughters of Master Masons are eligible to be in the Eastern Star. The best thing for you to do would be to contact your local chapter. Here is a link to the OES Chapter in Tennessee sorted alphabetically by city:
Grand Chapter Order of the Eastern Star of Tennessee

Don

I contacted the Grand Lodge in my state (MD) and I had copies of the file cards for both my grandfather, and great grandfather emailed to me by the next day. Very basic information. Name, address, the lodge they belonged to. It had the dates they received each of their three degrees, and the date they died.
You need his name and birthday, and I gave them the area where they lived. Good luck to you.
I'm going to try and find out about my two great uncles in Florida next.