No more FB

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have been on and off FB since it started , this last time has been my longest and my LAST . I have grown tired of being the black sheep in the family for my political views (of which I NEVER post on FB) and being attacked for not kissing Obama's feet . I have deleted my account . I have no problem a person supporting your party and I have no problem you voicing them but I can opt out of having to wde through them when on FB though .

No , I am not Obama bashing as I am smack dab in the middle of the road as there are things in both parties I agree with and disagree .

Also , my family has found out I am Deist (not that I was hiding , but dealing with fundies can be taxing , so I do not bring it up during dinner conversation) and I am being bombarded with Bible quotes through PMs' . I love my family , but I do not have to deal with them on FB .

ETA* I could have just "un-friended" them but I did not want to unfriend family but keep others . Just easier this way .

Last edited:

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I have been on and off FB since it started , this last time has been my longest and my LAST . I have grown tired of being the black sheep in the family for my political views (of which I NEVER post on FB) and being attacked for not kissing Obama's feet . I have deleted my account . I have no problem a person supporting your party and I have no problem you voicing them but I can opt out of having to wde through them when on FB though .

No , I am not Obama bashing as I am smack dab in the middle of the road as there are things in both parties I agree with and disagree .

Also , my family has found out I am Deist (not that I was hiding , but dealing with fundies can be taxing , so I do not bring it up during dinner conversation) and I am being bombarded with Bible quotes through PMs' . I love my family , but I do not have to deal with them on FB .

ETA* I could have just "un-friended" them but I did not want to unfriend family but keep others . Just easier this way .
I can relate. I have thought of deleting my account as well, but it is one of the only ways I stay in touch with some friends and family. I basically trimmed my friends list, and then edited who can see what and when.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I debated on trimming my friends back , but like I said most who irritate me are family and I do not need that headache of explaining WHY to them .

I will miss those whom I enjoyed staying in touch with such as my USMC buddies though .

Last edited:

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I debated on trimming my friends back , but like I said most who irritate me are family and I do not need that headache of explaining WHY to them .

I will miss those whom I wished enjoyed staying in touch with such as my USMC buddies though .

For those with whom I choose not to share everything with, I have restricted what they see. if they don't see it, they can't bug me about it! LOL

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
I blocked my own brother on FB, rather than un-friending him. There is a lot on nonsense on FB but I joined to easily stay in contact with distant family.

On the positive side, I am also in contact with Brothers who I have met here and on other sights and joined many groups related to the fraternity.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I blocked my own brother on FB, rather than un-friending him. There is a lot on nonsense on FB but I joined to easily stay in contact with distant family.

On the positive side, I am also in contact with Brothers who I have met here and on other sights and joined many groups related to the fraternity.

I did block some of my "friends" . Most were my local brethren and family who's liberal views pushed me a little to far . It was getting to the point that I was blocking a large portion on my list lol .

And I will miss talking with brethren whom I become friends with on here and elsewhere .

2SONDAD

And this a.m. I am blocking my own brother again. Can't stand the conspiracy sites he posts continually- especially the one this morning that slammed 9/11, the moon landing and our beloved fraternity. I love him, but sometimes I am glad he lives on the other side of the planet. :confused:

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
And this a.m. I am blocking my own brother again. Can't stand the conspiracy sites he posts continually- especially the one this morning that slammed 9/11, the moon landing and our beloved fraternity. I love him, but sometimes I am glad he lives on the other side of the planet. :confused:
LOL! The moon landing Was a hoax! Didn't you see the set that was manufactured for TV? My Grandmother swore that was the case right up until her death.

devlin

Laus Deo
Ah Ashlar I've pondered killing my FB account. I've actually closed it once. Mine was more a privacy revolt. They love "accidentally" releasing your personal data. I just skewed a lot of my personal data on it. Friends know it's me.... I don't let my "friends" keep me silent on my views. I am um.... lets just say right of Regan. A true friend will just say that's me and either post their view in common and/or rebuttal or not say anything. You get so upset you feel you have to be nasty or un-friend me? Fine, it tells me a lot about you. My family is a mix from far left to me far right so they just don't stoke me when I am on a roll...LOL
I too though am considering killing my accounts on there (yes that was plural) not due to disagreement with users but I don't believe in their data mining and always "accidently" making our private data available to whom they want. I don't trust Facebooks management. They have no moral ethics and since I believe in the golden rule I should live it by disassociating with a business I believe has such low moral character.

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
I will be killing off my FB account around Christmas, for many of the same reasons that have been listed above... 1., I don't care for FB's constantly changing ever morphing "privacy" policy and settings. 2., they admit to selling your data. 3., I posted my acceptance to a particular law school (my third choice school) on FB and I had a "friend" who I haven't seen in person in fifteen years send me the longest, rudest, and most disturbing message about how never to go to that school, in fact, don't go to law school at all... 4., I don't enjoy the News Feed now as it's impossible to find anything, and 5., My own political views are my own, yours are your own, and if they are the same great. If they differ, great. But if you're going to send me news articles proclaiming your political ideology to be superior to mine, good-bye. The only thing I'll miss is conversing with friends and Brothers who live far away who find it easier to FB message me than email or pick up the phone.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I'm considering dumping mine as well. Mostly for the same reason's given here. I may make up a dummy account to use for other stuff, but it will in no way be a profile that reflects any information about me personally.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I made up a dummy account using my middle name and my Mother's maiden name to use on certain websites . Also there were a couple of FB pages I liked staying up to date on .

2SONDAD

My niece used a fake account and didn't tell me. She kept trying to friend me and I declined. She got mad! Her fault though.

On a positive note about FB though, Brother Duncan and I were chatting on FB a week or so ago and discovered we grew up in the same area- just a couple of miles difference. Very small planet, isn't it?

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
Another positive note on FB is my ability to chat with at least a dozen Brothers who do not use FMH. That and my several million token balance on a free, legal, non-cash, for-fun, poker game on FB. Saves on beer and potato chips.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I was watching a news segment that stated younger people are leaving FB for some other social network site to get away from their parents .

Last edited:

2SONDAD

I admit I may be rethinking my blocking my brother. Turned out he was hospitalized for 9 days for a heart issue. If it weren't for FB,I wouldn't have known. Hmmm

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Yeah, it's things like that, that keep me on FB for now. People just don't pick up a telephone and make a phone call anymore.