Open House in Maryland State-Wide

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
We are closing in on 160 members , had a few deaths last year but we have several petitions out for waivers of jurisdiction that should put us over , it is the most my lodge has ever had . So yes , my lodge is growing . As for Active members at stated meetings , I will have to take a look at the Tyler's registry when I am out to lodge next and get back with you . We normally have large crowds though and I know it is more than 20 active members .

I have been doing even more traveling lately and I have noticed a trend . The City lodges are struggling , with very few active members and they are having trouble filling officers chairs . But the country lodges are thriving .
Excellent! Mine is a countryish Lodge, I am seeking ways to get more of the dues payers back into Lodge and active again.

We did an EA last Monday and couldn't do the slide lecture because the one Brother we had signed up to do the lecture was a no-show. :(
My Lodge's active Brothers are doubling & tripling up on parts.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Excellent! Mine is a countryish Lodge, I am seeking ways to get more of the dues payers back into Lodge and active again.

We did an EA last Monday and couldn't do the slide lecture because the one Brother we had signed up to do the lecture was a no-show. :(
My Lodge's active Brothers are doubling & tripling up on parts.
Let us know how that works. Not to rain on your parade, but the rule of thumb is that once someone has been 'gone' from an organization for 6 months (even if they retain their membership) it is extremely unlikely that they will ever become active members again. Now, you may be able to beat that statistic, but ... Get new members. Keep them active. It's actually the easiest way to go.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Let us know how that works. Not to rain on your parade, but the rule of thumb is that once someone has been 'gone' from an organization for 6 months (even if they retain their membership) it is extremely unlikely that they will ever become active members again. Now, you may be able to beat that statistic, but ... Get new members. Keep them active. It's actually the easiest way to go.
I agree with the 6 months, that is true with most of the organizations I have/do belong to, however Yahoo Groups and forums can keep the members involved from a distance.
I haver a friend who is in a Scottish re-enactors group with me who is currently in Saudi Arabia for several years and he keeps up with our goes on with our Yahoo Group.

cemab4y

Some lodges have a "rusty trowel night", and invite their inactive members, in for a special night of dining and fun. A "fun" degree is presented, so that the inactives can brush up on their sign/grips/words,etc. Each attendee is personally thanked by the WM. I wish more lodges would give this a try.

Patrick, I think you're correct for the most part. But if we can give a man a sense of purpose, we may be able to draw him back. There are three of us, myself included, who have returned to activity in my lodge. A few years ago, a job change required that I work Monday nights, the night of our stated communications. For a couple of years, I was probably in lodge only once or twice. I did stay active in the Shrine Club during that time though, so I was still in regular contact with many friends and members. A little over a year ago, the WM asked me if I'd step in as JW. I took it very seriously and was able to rearrange my work schedule. And, becoming active is one of the happiest decisions I've ever made. In 2012, I'll be able to sit in the East, which I'm terribly excited about. A few years back, it was something i didn't even think about. Two other guys in our lodge have re-invigorated themselves in freemasonry over the last year or two as well, and are also loving it.

So, get 'em if you can, because they'll have experience and could be great. But remember, you'll probably fail more often than not, so don't lose focus on the new guys!

cemab4y

Open house

(I am not a Maryland Mason, this posting is for discussion and information purposes only).

I found out through a friend, that the Open House in Maryland, is part of a bigger project called "Project 2025", where the GL of Maryland has a goal of getting 25,000 active Masons, in the state by 2025. This is an ambitious goal, and I wish them well. Maryland has about 16,000 Masons, as of the end of 2009 (the last year for which a total is available).

I have been discussing the MD open house, on a number of forums, and most Masons seem to be supportive of the idea. (As am I). No one really has any serious objections. Massachusetts has had semi-annual statewide open houses for a number of years, and the Maryland program is patterned after the Mass. program.

Most individuals I speak with, feel that an open house, would never work in their home lodge. Why do people feel this way? I don't know. What do YOU think? Would an "open house" in your home lodge, or a state-wide open house, where every lodge in your state was open on a Saturday morning, be possible in your lodge or state? I find the whole concept fascinating.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Sure you find it fascinating , but not all lodges are in urban or suburban areas . My lodge and many in my district are way out in the country in far out rural areas and are hard to find unless you know where they are and also most living around us are already members so it would be of no use for us to show up on a Saturday morning and stand around all day for nothing . Who is going to drive 30/40 minutes out in the country when there are 4 lodges in town ?

Why you feel all lodges should do this and do that , when WE know our areas and the demographics within and around our lodges , is also fascinating .

cemab4y

I do NOT think that all lodges should hold an open house. The concept is not practical for all lodges everywhere. Massachusetts is a small state, and the Boston area TV/Radio/newspapers are available almost state-wide. Organizing a state-wide open house, in Massachusetts, does not present the logistical and administrative challenges of a huge state like Texas.

I have travelled all over Kentucky, from Pikeville to Fulton. I was born in Louisville, and I have lived in Bowling Green, Lexington, and Franklin. I have attended lodges all over the state, including some in remote rural areas. A state-wide open house in Kentucky, would be a challenge, and probably unworkable, for many small, remote lodges.

Masonry is not a one-size-fits-all institution. Some ideas and concepts are workable in some lodges, some are not. Do not think, that I am "pushing" all lodges or any lodge into doing some thing. I do not even have the right to tell a Grand Lodge (that I do not belong to), to do anything.

Nevertheless, there are ideas and concepts, that are applicable all across Masonry. I think that all Lodges should give serious consideration, to reaching out to their inactive members. There has to be a reason, why men pay dues to a lodge, and do not participate in Masonry. Inactive Masons are a "resource", which can provide "intelligence" to Masonry. After all, if we cannot appeal to our own membership base, how are we to grow?

I cannot make myself any more clear. I am not interested in forcing any idea or concept onto any lodge/Grand Lodge (except my own!). The internet forums are a great way to discuss concepts, and to see all of their "pros and cons". Open Houses may be great in urban areas. They may not work in a small, rural lodge. That is why I started the discussion in the first place, to find out what YOU think.