Petition

failghe

I have a friend who wants a petition. He would like to join a Lodge closer to his home. We are going to print out a petition from the Grand Lodge website. Question is, can I still sign his petition? He would really like that. I am a Master Mason. Thanks in advance.

goomba

Generally no. Most lodges require that the MM signing the petition be a member of the lodge being petitioned.

arcxjo

Goat Jockey
Generally no. Most lodges require that the MM signing the petition be a member of the lodge being petitioned.
Not necessarily, though, GL rules vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. My GL requires two MM recommenders, one of whom must be a member of the lodge being petitioned, but the other can be from any lodge in the jurisdiction. I've even heard (albeit secondhand) of GLs allowing brethren from out of state to sign petitions.

"Pearl of the West Lodge 146", however, appears to be a lodge under the GL of FL, whose standard petition form asks for "Signatures of Members of the Lodge to which the petition is directed: _____ _____", which would suggest you do need both recommenders to be from the same lodge there.

AndyA

Go to that lodge and introduce him. It is not generally that hard to get a petition signed and a referral from a fellow Mason from a neighboring lodge couldn't hurt. Surely they have practices, that may be a good time to bring him.