petitions

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
As many know , I was in the SR but demitted soon after joining because I did not find it worth while but that is another story . Why I am starting this thread is because I have a question .

I was attending my YR stated meeting when a new YR Mason made the comment that he is chasing down one of my new MMs' in my lodge . Half joking/half serious I told him to leave this new MM alone ( I get tired of hearing these SR Masons pestering new MMs' around here in my area ) .

But I sat a listened to these brethren (all from one lodge) counting out how many petitions for the SR they had to turn in . Being that I have never really paid much attention as to what goes on in the SR asked why they were so worried about how many new petitions they get to turn in and their answer "If we get this many we get a free windbreaker , if we get this many more we get a free windbreaker and a book , and if we hit this number of petitions we get a free dues card for a year !" .

I was like "what the hell , is this the Girl Scouts ! You get free stuff by pestering men to join a body !" . So my question is this , is this the norm for other Valleys/Orients ? I take it this why SR Masons are so pushy in my area ?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I hope not . Some of what goes on disgusts me , And it is things like this that makes me wonder why I should remain a member , as if we are just some private social club such as the Elks or the Moose .

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I hope not . Some of what goes on disgusts me , And it is things like this that makes me wonder why I should remain a member , as if we are just some private social club such as the Elks or the Moose .
I did not join to be a member.
I joined to be a Mason!

S&F

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
"Where were you first made a Mason?"

Wasn't that long before you had a dues card?

S&F

Do not know what your getting at or how it pertains to this thread ? Is it Because I used the word "member" instead of "Mason" in my post you first quoted ?

ETA: Or is it that I should not worry about all the other stuff ? Honestly , I am confused .

Bob Franks

Yeah, I guess that the word member means to me someone who has a dues card, but doesn't feel the teachings of the degrees and lectures need to be followed.
Many are members, some are Masons.
Some have the principles of Masonry in their morality long before they petition, or have a dues card.

S&F

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Firstly to answer the question, we don't have poaching issues in my jurisdiction.

Secondly, and I believe I have stated this before (here and other places), once I became Initiated a Mason, I discovered that I was long trying to create a fraternity like ours and failed repeatedly, I was so happy to finally find that thing I so long sought after.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I was like "what the hell , is this the Girl Scouts ! You get free stuff by pestering men to join a body !" . So my question is this , is this the norm for other Valleys/Orients ? I take it this why SR Masons are so pushy in my area ?
I've heard of signing a petition gets points. Just like attending meetings, degrees and doing work in the degrees. You get bars on a necklace or something like that. Not sure if you get anything else. Never paid it much mind.

MWS

The SR are more subdued around here, it's those pesky Shriners who are the first to shake the hand of a newly obligated MM...

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
The SR are more subdued around here, it's those pesky Shriners who are the first to shake the hand of a newly obligated MM...
Same here. I wouldnt be a Shriner even if they payed me to join simply for that reason. Their pestering just put a bad taste in my mouth.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Yeah, I guess that the word member means to me someone who has a dues card, but doesn't feel the teachings of the degrees and lectures need to be followed.
Many are members, some are Masons.
Some have the principles of Masonry in their morality long before they petition, or have a dues card.

S&F
That is what I thought , I am a Mason and that does make me a member . All I was saying is that sometimes I do question my continued membership in the Fraternity due to the silliness that goes on .

Bob Franks

That is what I thought , I am a Mason and that does make me a member . All I was saying is that sometimes I do question my continued membership in the Fraternity due to the silliness that goes on .
"...to whisper good counsel in the ear of an erring brother..."
Sounds like some of the brothers need some good counsel to see that they are behaving in a silly manner!

Here in eastern NC there seems to be the attitude that to be a Shriner or a "32nd Degree Mason" means you are a superior Mason. When that is mentioned in introductions in the Craft Lodge, I rise and ask if that's a "32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason." I get dirty looks at that point.
Many of the brothers I hear of being so accomplished in other appendent bodies (usually for the amount of money they raise), couldn't Take Up the Signs at opening, it's been so long...

S&F

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Im a 32nd degree Scottish Rite Mason. Yup... Superior? I'm a legend in a legend in my own mind. Lol!!!!

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
"...to whisper good counsel in the ear of an erring brother..."
Sounds like some of the brothers need some good counsel to see that they are behaving in a silly manner!

Here in eastern NC there seems to be the attitude that to be a Shriner or a "32nd Degree Mason" means you are a superior Mason. When that is mentioned in introductions in the Craft Lodge, I rise and ask if that's a "32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason." I get dirty looks at that point.
Many of the brothers I hear of being so accomplished in other appendent bodies (usually for the amount of money they raise), couldn't Take Up the Signs at opening, it's been so long...

S&F
I have corrected members in my lodge myself , but my corrections have been "Craft lodge titles only please " .

We had a joint degree work with three lodges once , while introductions were made one lodge made a point to recognize all the 33rds and KCCH Masons . Me being the Smart a** that I am stood up and asked "What about the KYCH and Grand Officers of the YR ?" . That went over like a lead balloon .

Gary , you know you are a super duper Mason !

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Lol! A very necessary lead balloon. In my neck of the woods, if the WM chooses to recognize the various bodies, he has always made an effort to make sure all are included. It is never done to trump the Craft heirarchy though.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Lol! A very necessary lead balloon. In my neck of the woods, if the WM chooses to recognize the various bodies, he has always made an effort to make sure all are included. It is never done to trump the Craft heirarchy though.
When I made my announcement concerning the YR , they looked at me as if I were some alien !

I would have no problem recognizing the various bodies if it were fair and all were recognized , but like Bob stated , in my neck of the woods those SR Masons have an air of superiority about them that rubs me the wrong way .

It is not further education they are/were looking for , but further titles and accolades . You Gary , went into the SR for the right reason . You actually took the Master Craftsman programs , here they have no interest in that program . That is not what they are after .

I went in , got to see a few degrees , got the books I needed and then quit . I am slowly working my way through M & D along with A Bridge to Light . Paying dues every year would really have served me no purpose any longer .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Seems like SR has taken over at Lodge. I did her of a few people who had their fees paid at another Lodge to join YR. Some Shriners who want those fancy necklace bars can be pesky but I haven't seen them lately. One way to resolve the issue is to remove them all, but that is too extreme for most.

After reading this thread, its refreshing that at my lodge I was not approached by any of the appendants. The members who are there that are members of the other bodies (SR, YR, and Shrine) keep it to a low tone and treat it as if it were the Blue Lodge, to be 1, ask 1. Our lodge is so busy with so many things they all know what the schedules look like. We meet every Monday. Case in point, we had our meeting last night (2 new EAs), memorial service tonight and rehearsal on Thursday.