MM Topic Proficiency

FF Sparky

I wanted to make a poll of this but couldn't figure out how.

Does your Lodge do Proficiency in Lodge or does a Brother/Mentor vouch for proficiency?

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I wanted to make a poll of this but couldn't figure out how.

Does your Lodge do Proficiency in Lodge or does a Brother/Mentor vouch for proficiency?
Our new Master Masons are issued a wallet card after demonstrating proficiency in Lodge. :)

Many do not, as it is not required unless you are going to be an officer. :(

S&F

jaya

As brother Franks said, it is done in open lodge and optional. That is the mm proficiency only. The EA and FC must be returned in open lodge and there is no card for them.

Proficiency given in lodge for each degree in MD.

MMs cannot join an appendant body or hold a seat until MM proficiency is completed.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Wisconsin: open and required.
That said
, there are many MMs who are very involved and have not done their exam for decades. GL requires within 60 days

FF Sparky

Here I believe it depends on the Lodge. I was at the annual GL session yesterday. There was mention of MM not doing the work, or having proficiency before joining other appendant lodges. I agree there should be a waiting period, maybe a year minimum.

The lodges here that mention proficiency in Lodge, you have a card to so proficiency for each degree? MM degree would be the dues card? I'm just curious how other jurisdiction work.

I dont have a problem with proficiency in lodge, tho I can do the lectures no problem. Does this slow down the time between degrees? If you have 4 people that do the EA degree, do you what until everyone is proficient? or do you confer degrees as candidates are ready?

This is my 3rd edit....lol. Do you think it retains membership activeness more or less?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
No we do not wait for all EAs' or FC's to be ready to return . If there were 4 candidates and only one took it upon himself to study and work on it , he can return on his own . So we confer degrees as they are ready . No sense allowing others to hold one Brother back who wants to be a Master Mason .

jaya

We do degrees when someone is ready. The memory work is the catechism and not the lecture. First and second do not get a card to show proficiency so they are not allowed to visit without a mm with them. A mm does get a dues card even if he does not return proficiency. He must show proficiency if he wants to be an officer. He does get a card for that.