Question

Blaizze

Semper Fortis
I will never fault anyone looking both inward and at the external. The core of Masonry to me is knowledge. Embracing it, realizing what you don't know, studying what you want to learn.
If in looking at the beliefs you hold, as defined only by you, you see the "Supreme Being" as another manifestation of, or label for your "Just Is" You may want to follow through with the instinct that led you to question if Masonry is right for you. As you asked, I am not soliciting here, by the way. As to the Mason who is your girlfriends superior, I would say this... there are 4 million of us in the US.. find another to talk to, often a call to a local Lodge will set you on your path....when you get off the ship though, I assume.
I would like to join while I am here in Japan, but I have no idea how to go about doing that. As for the Mason that I do know, he is the only one I have found in Yokosuka. I am sure that there are many other Mason's here on the Naval Base, but I am at a loss for locating anyone to speak with. It may just have to wait until I go state side again. Thank you for the assistance, and for the support, it was much appreciated.

Blaizze

Semper Fortis
Oh I know the difference between your "Underway" and mine . You actually worked , I went down in the berthing area and read a book in my rack or played spades and tried to hide from working parties . My last 6 month float , I was a short timer so I worked the entire float for the Navy in ship S-3 . I worked in the ship store and loaded soda machines and snacks machines . My higher ups asked for volunteers for the job and I was the saltiest so I got first choice and jumped at the chance . Easy gig ! Got me out of guard duty , fire watch , going out in the field and most importantly , it got me out of all the dreaded Navy OnRep and ship painting working parties and the hated mess duty(did a month in the scullery on the Trenton, never again !!!!!). I even mustered every morning with you Navy boys , I had nothing to do with my own Marine Corps unit till the day before we got back to the states . Hell , they forgot I was even there .

I was only in for 4 years . Did my time and walked . In all total I only spent about a year and 5 months out to sea in my four years . All Med. floats with the exception of going to the Bahamas and Puerto Rico 3 times .

Sorry , way off topic(and I'm a Moderator) but I am enjoying this .

Oooh... S-3, huh? That sucks, sort of. I have found Supply dept. to be full of a whole lot of backstabbing and coniving personnel. it may be different on the ships you were on, but that is how it is on mine. I did my time in S-2 though, terrible experience. I hate working with food, I joined the Navy to get away from that, lol.
Yeah, working parties and UNREPS can be a pain, but such is the life of a sailor. It's worse here in Japan since I am forward deployed, we are gone for 290 out of 365 days of the year. But it is awesome job experience especially for my rating (Fire Controlman).

Blaizze

Semper Fortis
I have another question: During lodge meetings and other rituals such as the initiation and degrees; how much emphasis on the worship of the GAOTU is there?

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I'm not sure exactly how to answer that question. Freemasonry is not a religion, and religion is never discussed within lodge. The reference is directly related to your subscription to the belief of a supreme being. In order for you to be accepted into the fraternity, you must first subscribe to that. After you do that, there should be nothing beyond that would seem offensive. I apologize, I know I am being vague, but I don't know exactly how to answer this question.

Blaizze

Semper Fortis
I'm not sure exactly how to answer that question. Freemasonry is not a religion, and religion is never discussed within lodge. The reference is directly related to your subscription to the belief of a supreme being. In order for you to be accepted into the fraternity, you must first subscribe to that. After you do that, there should be nothing beyond that would seem offensive. I apologize, I know I am being vague, but I don't know exactly how to answer this question.
I understand that Freemasonry is not a religion and that religion isn't discussed, but I also know (I think) that there is mention of paying our respects to the Grand Architect of the Universe. And I was wondering if that was common in all lodge meetings, rituals, etc. Or if it is something that is rarely used, or if it is a case by case thing, or common.

No need to appologize for being vague; I understand that I have a lot of off the wall questions, but it is only because there is so much about Freemasonry that you just can't get from a book at the store on the matter. You can find history and symbolism, but much of it is very vague itself.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The Great Architect of the Universe is my God , his God , your God or anyones God . We use the term GAOTU so as not to offend the Jew ,Muslim or any other religion in lodge . We all meet on the level and believe all have the right to worship the God of their choice .This way when we give an opening prayer , closing prayer or blessing the food it will be for all and not only for the Christians .

I look at it this way , if I had my jewish friends over or my one Indian (from India) to my house for dinner would I demand them to pray to Jesus with me ? No , I would not , they are my friends and I respect their beliefs . I keep my prayers generalized so we can all join in .

I do not know if this helped any , just trying to put it in my own words .

Blaizze

Semper Fortis
The Great Architect of the Universe is my God , his God , your God or anyones God . We use the term GAOTU so as not to offend the Jew ,Muslim or any other religion in lodge . We all meet on the level and believe all have the right to worship the God of their choice .This way when we give an opening prayer , closing prayer or blessing the food it will be for all and not only for the Christians .

I look at it this way , if I had my jewish friends over or my one Indian (from India) to my house for dinner would I demand them to pray to Jesus with me ? No , I would not , they are my friends and I respect their beliefs . I keep my prayers generalized so we can all join in .

I do not know if this helped any , just trying to put it in my own words .
Hrrmmm... Okay... Thank you. I appreciate the answer it did help some.
Cleared up a few other things I had in mind to ask as well.

I haven't been able to get on in a while, been kind of busy with work. Hopefully things will stay calmed down for a bit. :cool:

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Your welcome . I did not know if that would help or not , sometimes my thoughts and my written words do not jive .

Blaizze

Semper Fortis
Blaizze, this is the link for the Lodge in your area. Yokosuka Lodge No. 20 - Current Lodge Officers Find one of these Brothers and have a sit down conversation with one or two together, preferably two. I also feel that you may be closer to the 4/4 than you think. But this needs to be decided by the Brethern of the Lodge you petition. I hope this helps.
Thank you very much rustybones, it is a better site than the one I found. It also has directions so that I can find it on base. This was very much appreciated.
I will take the time to contact them soon.

BigG Pauly

Now I know you said you dont want to hear anyones belief's,.so this is more for any other reader's. I dont believe A man can be judged by any other man. I would never judge you or your belief's. The energy you speak of is real. I know this. I have a tatto on my arm of a ying yang. That is because I believe nothing in this world can exhist without its equal/opposite. Everything coinsides. up,down,girl,boy,light,dark,ETC. But my point is,.We live, we die,.we create,.so we must have been created,.see my point? well Thats all I have on the subject,.except that why cant we say that God made the "Big Bang"? I mean he had to create it somehow,.he didnt just put his arms together like "I dream of gene"lol. also to the skeptic's that say there's proof we come from monkey's,.well whats wrong with the idea that God started the process with a seed,.single cell,.then we grew from there,.so on the way we were monkey's,.so what.lol either way this is not an attack on your belief,.just something for EVERYONE to think about.

Blaizze

Semper Fortis
Now I know you said you dont want to hear anyones belief's,.so this is more for any other reader's. I dont believe A man can be judged by any other man. I would never judge you or your belief's. The energy you speak of is real. I know this. I have a tatto on my arm of a ying yang. That is because I believe nothing in this world can exhist without its equal/opposite. Everything coinsides. up,down,girl,boy,light,dark,ETC. But my point is,.We live, we die,.we create,.so we must have been created,.see my point? well Thats all I have on the subject,.except that why cant we say that God made the "Big Bang"? I mean he had to create it somehow,.he didnt just put his arms together like "I dream of gene"lol. also to the skeptic's that say there's proof we come from monkey's,.well whats wrong with the idea that God started the process with a seed,.single cell,.then we grew from there,.so on the way we were monkey's,.so what.lol either way this is not an attack on your belief,.just something for EVERYONE to think about.
I agree with what you are saying, not 100%, but I do agree. I don't think that you are trying to attack my beliefs, I don't take offense to much even if you were, lol. Thanks for your opinion.

Blaizze

Semper Fortis
I was able to visit the lodge in my area two weeks ago. I had an interesting time, and met quite a few very informative people. I was unable to make it to last weeks meeting, regretfully though. Hopefully, I can make it this week.
I am still unsure of whether or not I am going to petition, but I am going to continue going to the lodge and talking with everyone until I make my decision.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
You are doing the right thing by taking your time ,this is not a decision that should be made on whim . It took me years to come to this decision . First I needed to sow my wild oats , then I waited and weighed all the options before I asked for a petition .