Red Lodge Degrees

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Our local SR valley is putting on the three Red Lodge degree's at their next Reunion. It sounds interesting, and I do believe they will be open to all MM to attend.

Does your SR valley do anything like this?

HAUS469

There are Scottish Rite Blue lodges near me...havent seen a degree but I went to some bussiness meetings.Very tight knit brothers.Cant wait to see a degree

G

Gary

I'd like to see them. I'm told that any MM can go see those degrees. I'm not SR, but I find the rituals fascinating.

HAUS469

Yes any MM is gladly welcomed and encouraged.There are 10 SR Blue Lodges in Louisiana,9 in New Orleans area and 1 in Lacombe about 30 mins from New Orleans.There are VERY few others throughout the entire U.S.....They confer the EA,FC and MM just as any other blue lodge except in SR fashion.I have been told what happens,and its much different.Hope to see one shortly.If I ever do a plural membership it will be with a SR blue lodge.

HAUS469

And they are chartered under the GL of Louisisiana just like York Rite,they are not chartered under the SR Valleys that does 4-32nd.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Yes any MM is gladly welcomed and encouraged.There are 10 SR Blue Lodges in Louisiana,9 in New Orleans area and 1 in Lacombe about 30 mins from New Orleans.There are VERY few others throughout the entire U.S.....They confer the EA,FC and MM just as any other blue lodge except in SR fashion.I have been told what happens,and its much different.Hope to see one shortly.If I ever do a plural membership it will be with a SR blue lodge.
So, are any of the "VERY few others" in the southeast, more especially in NC?
States around Indiana would work for me, too.

S&F

HAUS469

Brother Bob....I have only heard or read on a few websites there were other SR Blue Lodges.I want to say California and Hawaii were mentioned,but dont hold me to it.I f I get a chance when I get home(I work offshore) I will catch up with a few of the SR brothers and see if they know more......but here is an interesting tidbit for reading if it will load.I will copy and paste it..

HAUS469

Scottish Rite Blue Lodges
by J. Chris Nungesser, P.G.M.
FROM THE PAST . . .
The Louisiana Freemason
Vol. 1, No. 2 - November, 1949
The forty-nine Grand Lodges of the United States are of the York Rite and employ the Ritual of that Rite to confer the Symbolic Degrees. There are many variations in these Rituals between the Grand Jurisdictions but with few exceptions, there is general uniformity within each Grand Jurisdiction.
Because Louisiana Masonry was born of a diverse parentage, its origin and early history had a marked effect on the esoteric work. Although Charters were granted Lodges in Louisiana by Grand Lodges working in the York Rite, nevertheless, the new Lodges continued to work in the Mother tongue and used Rituals largely derived from the French or Modern Rite. When the Grand Lodge of Louisiana was organized, there were Lodges working in the York Rite, the French or Modern Rite and one in the Scotch Rite under a Charter from the Grand Consistory of Jamaica.
The divergent views held because of the several Rites during the early period of Masonry in Louisiana was the cause of much strife and dissension. In an effort to give each Rite proper recognition, the Grand Lodge was made up of Symbolic Chambers, one for the York Rite, one for the Scottish Rite and one for the French Rite. This chapter of the history of Louisiana Masonry is most interesting, and perhaps might well be the subject of a future article.
After the adoption of the Constitution in 1850, the York Rite was the only official Rite recognized, but the old Lodges adhered to forms of the Scotch Rite and the French or Modern Rite. Even after 1885 when, through the work of R.W. Brother John C. Gordy, the esoteric work was made uniform, the Lodges mentioned continued to use the same rituals and have done so to this day with the permission of the Grand Lodge. It was not until 1921 that the Grand Lodge passed a resolution prohibiting any new Lodges except those working in the York Rite in which same year the last of the Scottish Rite Lodges was chartered.
The ten Lodges in the City of New Orleans which do not use the York Rite and are commonly referred to as the "Scottish Rite Lodges" are as follows:
Etoile Polaire No. 1 .(1794) (French)
Perserverance No. 4 (1810) (English, formerly French)
Cervantes No. 5 (1842) (Spanish)
Germania No. 46 (1844) (English, formerly German)
Kosmos No. 171 .(1864) (English, formerly German)
Union No. 172 (1865) (English)
Dante No. 174 (1866) (Italian)
Galileo Mazzini No. 368 (1917) (English, formerly Italian)
Albert Pike No. 376 .(1919) (English)
Paul M. Schneidau No. 391 (1921) (English)
The Lodges now working in English use the same Ritual but it is different from the ones they formerly used before converting to English. Neither is this Ritual a translation of either the French, Italian or Spanish Ritual and, therefore, there is no uniformity in Ritual among these ten so called Scottish Rite Lodges.
Suffice it to say that the continuation of these various Rituals in Louisiana is unique, and Masons from other Jurisdictions who have witnessed the Degrees here, or in their own Jurisdictions when the work was exemplified by visiting teams, had naught but praise for their beauty, eloquence and profoundness of meaning.

TrowelTalk

I was in New Orleans a couple of years ago and visited Germania Lodge No. 46 (listed above) and had a grand time. They conferred the FC Degree and I met a visiting "operative" mason from Germany who waited in the "hospitality area" while we conducted Lodge. It was a wonderful experience and recommend it to any MM who may visit New Orleans.

HAUS469

Well I attended a EA degree in Scottish Rite fashion at Kosmos Lodge #171 in Lacombe,La.I must say it was a sight to be seen and TOTALLY different than our tradition York Rite fashion.And visitor participation is highly encouraged during certain parts.Lets just say the candidate will have something to "permanently" remember his initiation that no York Rite brother will ever have.I look forward to seeing an FC and MM now.If your ever in the New Orleans area traveling,I highly suggest visiting one of the 10(I hear there is 11 now)Scottish Rite Blue Lodges and hopefully catch a degree.:1-winking:

SSchwartzberg

My SR Valley exemplified the three SR Craft Degrees last winter, with the permission of the Deputy for Florida (now SGIG), the GM of FL, and the SGC.

We were planning on doing them again this summer, however, that has been shot down. Some Grand Lodges have not understood that this was done for instructional purposes, and complained to the Sovereign Grand Commander.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
The Tampa Valley said they were going to do the Red Degrees at the last reunion, but I do not think they did. It may a bit of a drive, but if you do it again let me know. Maybe if we can get a few Brothers from my area, we can attend.

HAUS469

I am just curious and just wondering if the 3 "red lodge" craft degree's everyone is speaking of their SR Valley putting on are the same as the Scottish Rite 1,2,3 degree I am speaking of?These degrees and Scottish Rite blue lodges are not at all affilitated under a Scottish Rite Valley,but under the GL of La.I refer to them as Blue Lodge,because I have never personally(maybe some do down here)heard any Scottish rite brother from the blue lodge refer to his lodge or degree's as "Red Lodge"???Can anyone elaborate?

Metaphysical

I am from such a lodge. Ancient and Accepted Scottish Ritual (AASR) is a form of masonic ritual - like Duncan, Canadian Rite, Emulation etc. Different jurisdictions use different rituals, and AASR is one of them.That should NOT be mixed what we know in North America as "Scottish Rite". "Scottish Rite" is under the "Supreme Council" which controls the "Higher Degrees" (4-33).Some lodges in Spain for example, use AASR ritual, for the first three degrees. They are completely independant from their Scottish Rite (which confers only 4-33) and are under direct jurisdiction of teh Grand Lodge of Spain only.It is a bit confusing, since in North America, whenever SR is mentioned, people think directly of the "higher degrees".*

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Thank you for clearing that up.

How do you find the differences, and do you like one over the other?

jaya

I am from such a lodge. Ancient and Accepted Scottish Ritual (AASR) is a form of masonic ritual - like Duncan, Canadian Rite, Emulation etc. Different jurisdictions use different rituals, and AASR is one of them.That should NOT be mixed what we know in North America as "Scottish Rite". "Scottish Rite" is under the "Supreme Council" which controls the "Higher Degrees" (4-33).Some lodges in Spain for example, use AASR ritual, for the first three degrees. They are completely independant from their Scottish Rite (which confers only 4-33) and are under direct jurisdiction of teh Grand Lodge of Spain only.It is a bit confusing, since in North America, whenever SR is mentioned, people think directly of the "higher degrees".*
What Grand Lodge is your lodge under? It is not under the Grand Lodge of Florida or the Most Worshipful Union Grand Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, Florida; Belize, Central America and St. John U.S.V.I. which are the two regular Grand Lodges in FL. Those are the only two regular grand lodges recgonized in the state of FL.