MM Topic Restricted access ideas

edwmax

I can't make an edit now, so let me re-phase.

You can't so receive it, if I don't have your ear-mail to whisper into. ... Anyway, Gary has it now, catch it from him. ... ;)

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
OK... I made this a MM topic (squirrel free zone) for a reason. So far, no one has offered any suggestions for topics or designated sections to be included in the restricted access section. If you want to discuss how to get verified, do that in another thread. There is already one on this forum I believe. Lets stay on topic folks.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
As Masons are we not charged to live circumspect lives? Perhaps we should post examples of how we, personally, dealt with subduing our passions?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have been thinking about it and we could model it after other forums where it works . we just need to start off small , no need to create Tyled sections for every body in Freemasonry . We could start off a Master Mason Tyled section for now (such as the "Brothers" section ) . Verifying EAs' and FCs' would need to be worked out so maybe Ed could give us some pointers on how to do that . I have ideas , but some of us do not issue dues cards to our EAs' and FCs' .

The topics could vary , I mean we could talk about everything from the differences in balloting in jurisdictions and what would constitute a spoiled ballot to the well... to brethren who just need to vent and do not want it in the public view such as problems with their lodge leadership , crappy ritual , and when something comes along such as this Florida GM's ruling .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
As Masons are we not charged to live circumspect lives? Perhaps we should post examples of how we, personally, dealt with subduing our passions?
I bite my tongue a lot. Does that count? :D

All kidding aside, I think that could be a good thread Brother.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I have been thinking about it and we could model it after other forums where it works . we just need to start off small , no need to create Tyled sections for every body in Freemasonry . We could start off a Master Mason Tyled section for now (such as the "Brothers" section ) . Verifying EAs' and FCs' would need to be worked out so maybe Ed could give us some pointers on how to do that . I have ideas , but some of us do not issue dues cards to our EAs' and FCs' .

The topics could vary , I mean we could talk about everything from the differences in balloting in jurisdictions and what would constitute a spoiled ballot to the well... to brethren who just need to vent and do not want it in the public view such as problems with their lodge leadership , crappy ritual , and when something comes along such as this Florida GM's ruling .
Sounds good to me. I agree vetting EA's and FC's would be problematic. Florida does not issue dues cards to EA's or FC's, as they do not have any privileges and cannot sit in stated communications as those are conducted on the MM level.

edwmax

I have been thinking about it .... Verifying EAs' and FCs' would need to be worked out so maybe Ed could give us some pointers on how to do that .
Most Candidates go through the degrees in about 2 or 3 months. There is so little actual use of the EA & FC forum section on MM.com that there is little benefit. Basically, I suggest a esoteric section for 'verified' members and a restricted access forum for ALL members.

One of my concerns on MM.com is comments made in the open forum being logged and archived by search engine bots. Many of those comments are not good. ... Restricted access well solve most of this problem.

Winter

I've been here before
With such a super cool restricted section, is this where all the interesting discussion will take place? Leaving the open sections lacking?

edmax, not everyone rushes their EA's and FC's through the degrees. And many Lodges conduct business in the EA degree to allow them to participate. And some even give EA's full voting rights.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
edmax, not everyone rushes their EA's and FC's through the degrees. And many Lodges conduct business in the EA degree to allow them to participate. And some even give EA's full voting rights.
Which is how it should be in all jurisdictions ! We tried and failed a few years ago to open our meetings up to EAs' and FCs' , but these old heads broke out the old "That's not how we used to do it !" . Which is untrue , when our GL was formed , stated meetings were opened on the EA degree , it was just not done in their time .

To your other question as to unused "open" forums . No , they will not go unused . I added my thoughts on it as a place to vent because I will post in the Staff section to vent when I would love to have posted in a "Tyled" section to get more view points , but I did not think an open forum was a proper place to post said topics .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
With such a super cool restricted section, is this where all the interesting discussion will take place? Leaving the open sections lacking?

That would be reason to have forums just for those two degrees. Even if they weren't used often, they would be there discussion on those degrees, and at that level. Again, vetting is an issue. That said, most of the discussions on other forums in those sections is no different than what we discuss openly here.

edwmax

Understood, but that wasn't the point of my post.