Scottish Rite membership question,which state?

HAUS469

I am currently awaiting to do my Master Degree....and was pondering the Scottish Rite as continuing my education.My blue lodge is in Louisiana,but I reside in Mississippi just across the staTe line.The Miss. Scottish Rite valleys are closer to me than the ones in Louisiana.I plan on staying at my current mother lodge in La.

My question is.....can I petition for a valley in Mississipp?Or do I have to petition in Louisiana,where I will receive my MM?

Thank you brothers

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I would become a member to the Valley nearest you . I was in the SR and could not be active because I was so far away from my Valley so I was paying dues for nothing .

HAUS469

So it DOES NOT matter which state your blue lodge is in,correct?Since it is 2 different organizations...?thanks

G

Gary

I don't believe it matters. There is a brother here on FMH that belongs to YR in a neighboring state and a Blue Lodge in his home state for the same reasons you describe.

There may be some sort of paperwork that needs to be done, but I'm sure it's fairly common.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
No it does not matter what state , I know a Past Master in my lodge who went through the SR degrees in Ohio , and another in WVa .

Being kinda familiar;) with this topic I can say it shouldnt be a problem, most of the time all it takes is a letter from the Valley you wish to join in MS sending a request to the Valley in LA that covers your area....it really isnt a big deal, it is more of a courtesy issue.

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Well, when I get home from Iraq I plan on going through. From what I've been told the reunion in Boise will be late October.