Scottish Rite vs. York Rite

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I think it's a worthy path. I plan on doing both YR & SR. A plus for YR, is that I'm with Ashlar on the thought that anything that keeps brothers active in the Blue Lodge is good.
No time like the present, Gary, no time like the present.

G

Gary

There is a brother in my lodge who has been telling me a bit about the YR. I'll join, I just gotta get another job to support my dues card collection that I'm soon to have...LOL

He's yet to hand me a petition though, so I really have no idea what it'll cost.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
There is a brother in my lodge who has been telling me a bit about the YR. I'll join, I just gotta get another job to support my dues card collection that I'm soon to have...LOL

He's yet to hand me a petition though, so I really have no idea what it'll cost.
This is another reason I demitted from the SR . I had to weigh which was more important to me , the better Rite and worth my money . The YR won out as hands down the better choice . I don't know how to put it in better words , but the Capitular and Cryptic degrees just seemed more like Freemasonry to me and what I was looking for in a concordant body .

And you do not have to go through all three bodies in the YR . You can become a Royal Arch Mason and not pay dues or Intiation fees in the other two bodies . I know many who have went that root , The went through the Capitular degrees , received the True word of a Master Mason and went no further . I know some who went through the Chapter and the Council degrees and opted out of the Commandry .

G

Gary

OK Ashlar, I'll inquire more about it with the brother at my Lodge. You answered a few questions I was going to ask. Thanks!

To the OP: I entered YR as soon as I could after being raised. Haven't been back. It has nothing to do with YR, and everything to do with Blue Lodge. There is too much to learn and I realized I couldn't do both well given my stage of life (two small children and a job or two). I also enjoy Blue Lodge more than I thought I would.

Having said that, I know there's a concern about new members abandoning Blue Lodge for the other bodies. But as the Mason who counseled me early told me "the world needs more Masons - be they YR, SR, Shrine, or Blue Lodge. Join, find what makes you happy, and get involved."

That seems fair enough as well.

Tim Self

Just me but I believe there is enough to learn in Blue Lodge before moving on to keep me busy for a long time. That said, we have a Brother who never moved on. My mentor and is a member in 3-4 lodges and is the "go to" guy for knowledge. When I joined he took me under his wing and made sure I learned what I needed. I'm not in a hurry to move on.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Just me but I believe there is enough to learn in Blue Lodge before moving on to keep me busy for a long time. That said, we have a Brother who never moved on. My mentor and is a member in 3-4 lodges and is the "go to" guy for knowledge. When I joined he took me under his wing and made sure I learned what I needed. I'm not in a hurry to move on.
I had the conversation tonight at posting, that have friends in all the appendant bodies, so when & IF I want to add on to Blue Lodge, I can, however I agree with you Tim, I am going to busy for a long time.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I too have found that there is enough in the Blue Lodge to learn to keep me busy for a very long time . But , like in school , I can gain knowledge from several subjects at one time (Not saying anyone can not ) .

Honestly , I never grasped the concept that a Freemason , new or old , can not learn from one body while learning from another . I tend to give Brothers more credit than that .

But to each their own .

Duncan1574

I too have found that there is enough in the Blue Lodge to learn to keep me busy for a very long time . But , like in school , I can gain knowledge from several subjects at one time (Not saying anyone can not ) .

Honestly , I never grasped the concept that a Freemason , new or old , can not learn from one body while learning from another . I tend to give Brothers more credit than that .

But to each their own .
Some of us have busy lifes or disabilities, like age, TBI (my case), being an ex-marine:D, just saying there are good reasons for a need to focus.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Hence , the "To each their own" statement . But , sorry , I still do not buy it . But if one feels he can not take on two things at once , then no he shouldn't join other bodies .

Ashlar, I tend to agree with ya in that while there is tons to learn in BL...and that might be plenty at one time for some, others can gain knowledge from multiple sources......

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I will add this and I am done with this topic . Though I can not go into details , when I was a new Master Mason , I had questions that none in my lodge could answer , because none were YR Masons . When I went through the Capitular degrees , or read ahead in some cases , these questions were answered . The Blue Lodge degrees became clearer and more into focus for me and I gained a better understanding of the Blue Lodge . The Capitular degrees compliment the Blue Lodge , not hinder one's learning in the Blue Lodge , IMHO .

Treadstone

I must agree waiting a year or more after becoming a Master Mason is best for any new brother. The Marines actually alotted me the time to specifically become a Mason. It was very special. Following the family traditions. I myself went YR. And even though in a post I saw someone mention that YR are rank happy , I believe for me it was the history behind Commandery that lured me in. And family tradition that dates far back before my family came to Boston from Europe.

Duncan1574

I am sure there is a concordant body in my future, but until I am raised, they are for intellectual discussions. Some of my Lodge Brothers are Star, YR, SR, etc, etc, etc as are many of my Highland Games/Renniassance Faire friends, so time will tell.

I have found that doing the memory work is helping my short-term memory issues..