Scottish Rite

WFo752594

Why do some Mason wear their sashes from the left shoulder down to the right side? Most Scottish rite Masons wear them from the right shoulder down to the left side. :confused:

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Not sure why SRs do it, but Scotsmen wear the Great Kilt as a traveling blanket/tent, and some of them were much more than the tradition Full 9yds (BTW- another myth). The right arm is left bare/clear so that they could draw their weapons and fight without encumbrance.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
They do have sashes assigned to each or some of the degrees . I can not remember all of the regalia of the SR . But the Valley I was a member of , the only time I seen them wear sashes was Maundy Thursday .

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Why do some Mason wear their sashes from the left shoulder down to the right side? Most Scottish rite Masons wear them from the right shoulder down to the left side. :confused:
Sashes? What sashes? :p Most masons I know do not wear sashes.

How you wear a sash depends a great deal on what the sash is supposed to represent. Many, if not most, of the authentic chivalric orders have/had sashes and they wore them in ways peculiar to their order. I'm also a member of Royal Order of Scotland, and we wear TWO sashes (one over the left shoulder, one over the right).

Winter

I've been here before
The only time I ever saw the sashes in my Valley was when the 30, 31, & 32nd degrees were confered.

G

Gary

Sashes? What sashes? :p Most masons I know do not wear sashes.

How you wear a sash depends a great deal on what the sash is supposed to represent. Many, if not most, of the authentic chivalric orders have/had sashes and they wore them in ways peculiar to their order. I'm also a member of Royal Order of Scotland, and we wear TWO sashes (one over the left shoulder, one over the right).
So....what were you going for there....The Bandolier look? ;) :D

Sorry, a bit cheeky this morning...LOL

I just found out that the Sovereign Grand Commander, Ill. John Wm. McNaughton, 33rd Northern Masonic Jurisdiction, a Brother Hoosier will be in attendance at the Convocation in Indianapolis IN when I join the SR on the 20th.