Shrine On, You Crazy Masons

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
If the Freemasons really are a secret society bent on world domination, as some conspiracy-minded people suggest, then the Shriners—an offshoot organization that high-level Masons can elect to join—would have to be their most brilliant misdirection ploy. It's hard to imagine the Masons getting up to much global dominance when their highest-ranking members spend so much time learning to drive tiny cars in formation, and when they single-handedly support a market in stabilizing gear for their goofy hats.

The Shriners (that is, Shriners International) are a fraternal organization known for their impressive charitable work, through which they fund twenty-two hospitals for children throughout the US, and in Montreal and Mexico City. But they're perhaps even better known for the distinctive red velvet fezzes they wear to ceremonial functions, and for their love of driving miniature cars in parades.
(Nobody knows why Shriners drive little cars. It could be another of the many mysteries occluding the true nature of their ancient order. Or it could be that driving little cars down major urban thoroughfares is just mega sweet.)
Yesterday, University Avenue played host to a Shriner parade—but not just any Shriner parade. This particular one was in honour of the organization's annual Imperial Council Session, which attracts Shriners from all over the organization's jurisdiction, and takes place in a different city each year.
Transporting bulky equipment from far and wide isn't easy, and so most of the fez-wearing marchers busy tuning up their xylophones and revving up their tiny engines in Queen's Park before the parade were from places like Kingston, Sudbury, and Thunder Bay—though many Shriners had traveled from further away (the Philippines had sent a contingent). The Credit Valley chapter was driving what looked like converted riding mowers, painted black, with airbrushed flames on the sides. Another chapter had brought a squadron of green go-karts, with motors that had to be revved up with strings—again, like lawnmowers. The oldest members were having difficulty throwing their backs into the revving. It was a little hard to watch.

more Shrine On, You Crazy Masons - Torontoist

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I hate the part where is says "High-level Masons" , but other than that it is an interesting article .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Yeah, I thought so too. I was actually waiting to hear an anti-masonic tone to it.

I've been looking for a way to explain this to those who toss up the "high ranking" or "you're just not at a high enough level", and this seems to illustrate the point to most:

You have 3 high school seniors.
1 is the captain of the football team.
1 is the student council president.
1 has good grades, works a job to pay for college, and is active in the community.

Which one is the "highest ranking" senior? Which is more important?
Most recognize that the rank is the same, the experiences are different.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I may have to steal that if you do not mind. I like that. That is one of the hardest things I have to try and explain.

Heh, I don't mind at all. It takes some of the mystique off when you tell people they can get the 32nd degree, along with 400 other people, in a single day. So I like this better.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
When someone talks to me about "High ranking" Masons I explain that the Scottish Rite and the York Rite are lateral bodies , they expand on what we have already learned but they do not take you higher . I hate those graphs and charts that show these bodies as going up with the the Craft degrees at the bottom , this and the SR , unlike the York Rite , assigning numbers to their degrees . I like how in the York Rite you are a Royal Arch Mason , Cryptic Mason or a Sir Knight Mason . I also dislike this 33rd degree , we all are supposed to meet on the level yet they have a special degree that elevates one Mason over others . And , in my opinion , is not about what you have done but who you are to become a 33rd degree SR Mason . I do not like any body in Freemasonry that is not open to all Masons and is invitation only or like the the National Sojourners which is only open to those who were Staff NCO's Warrant Officers or Officers . If it is good enough for them then it should be open to all who served their country . I will not allow them to make announcements in my lodge , the lodge knows how I feel about them and agrees with me .

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
Well stated Ashlar, I agree with everything you said.

The Master of a Lodge is elevated for a time by his brothers in said lodge and is no better than any other brother. This goes for any Grand Master also.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Very true , they are both still 3rd degree Master Masons , they just wear fancier aprons . I was once told by a non-Mason that 33rd degrees run all of Freemasonry . I said no , they do not , if a 33rd degree SR Mason breaks our rules and has Masonic charges brought on them , they answer to 3rd degree Master Masons , and if found guilty of the charges leveled at him , then he is suspended or expelled from Freemasonry by these same 3rd degree Master Masons and is no longer a 33rd degree SR Mason , let alone a Craft Lodge Master Mason .

lightning

It all sounds fair enough to me. When someone breaks the rules, everybody is on the same level, so to speak, in order to bring justice.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Basically . You can be a Master Mason and not be in the Scottish Rite , but you can not be in the Scottish Rite without being a Master Mason . So with this being said who would trump who ? Each Scottish Rite Orient and York Rite bodies have their own set of rules , but none of their rules may trump any Grand Lodge's laws , rules and regulations which is made up of 3rd degree Master Masons . Let's say my SR Orient makes up a new law , rule or regulation that my GL does not agree with or goes aganinst it's own , my GL can forbid any Freemason in our state from joining or continuing their membership in the SR , including 33rd degree SR Masons .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
You can be a Master Mason and not be in the Scottish Rite , but you can not be in the Scottish Rite without being a Master Mason
I tried explaining this to someone the other day about the Shriners. Sadly the person still could not get it. I think that is why I liked the HS explanation. I still get questions from family members and friends on that.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I tried explaining this to someone the other day about the Shriners. Sadly the person still could not get it. I think that is why I liked the HS explanation. I still get questions from family members and friends on that.
It's hard to explain it to those on the outside looking in , they hear or see a higher number and automatically think that they are over us in the Blue Lodge . When explaining it to my brother , he kept saying that his father-in-law is high up , he is a 32nd degree Mason and he worked at it for years to get that high . I told him that there is no such thing as a 32nd degree Mason but it is a 32nd degree SR Mason , and that I too am a 32nd degree SCOTTISH RITE Mason , and also that a Mason can receive that degree in a matter of a weekend . He was surprised and had no idea , but I don't blame him , I blame his father-in-law and other Brothers like him that try to make it sound more important than what it really is . There is nothing more important than a 3rd Master Mason , the apex of all of Freemasonry .