Shriner in my family

cjleete

My grandfather was a Shriner, and had a little clown car, which he drove in parades, etc. My mom has a picture of him handing President Kennedy a squirting telephone at a parade. I'm assuming my grandfather, whom I never got to meet was a rather high-ranking Mason, or Shriner. His name was Edmund Norman Leete. I'm just trying to get a feel of what kind of man he was, and what kind of men he associated with, as I have little knowledge of him.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
If you know the name and Number of his mother Lodge and his Shrine , I am sure if you contacted them and if anyone remembers him that they would be more than pleased too enlighten you of what kind of man he was .

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
Well, first and foremost, CJ, there's no such thing as a "high-ranking" Mason. The 3rd degree is the ultimate honor and all that follows is exemplary of that. That your grandfather was a Shriner indicates that he went through quite a few Masonic ceremonies (in those days one had to not only be a Master Mason, but also either a Scottish or York Rite Mason and frequently a man would do both). Now ... what kind of man was he? Well, that he was a Mason says something: he had an unswerving belief in God; he supported his nation, his state and his community; he believed in charity.

Freemasonry attracts all kinds of men for all kinds of reasons, but this is most certainly true: your Grandfather was our Brother! We believe in the power of the bond of brotherly love and affection. We are enjoined to be faithful to our religious beliefs, good citizens, fond parents (and grandparents), and we strive to be the best men we can be. Certainly, not all of our brothers succeed in this quest, but I think that for the most part Masons do succeed.

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
Welcome to the forums, you're grandfather was no doubt an upstanding individual. To be a mason, you should be an upstanding individual, with moral virtue. It sounds awesome that your grandfather was able to give something to Kennedy. Shriners are more visible in the community because of the parade, and the hospitals. Any Shriner that is interested, can join the motor corps as far as I know. My father is the president of the Jaffa Motor Corp this year, he has a '32 Roadster that he drives in the parades. If I ever join the Motor Corp though, I think I want a monster truck type :) just my kind of style.