Summer Break from Labor

jvlighting1

PA The Keystone State
Now that summer break is upon us, does any of your lodges or districts have any events planed for next couple months? IE picnics, retreats or so on….

Plus… I think this would be a good time to explain to all non-masons why the lodges shut down for the summer..
Now and Then...

Any contributors?

RoughAshlar

We have a BBQ planned, and a couple of meetings for the officers. long range planning and such for the next year.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
My Lodge doesn't go dark in the summer . The York Rite bodies does , last night was our last meeting till Sept .

mndane

My lodge here in Minnesota is open year around. This year June and July are going to be the busies months.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Next monday is our last meeting before break. We will continue to do brunch on the 4th saturday of the month. Some picnics/bbq's have been discussed also.

OwenKL

I've never quite understood the logic for Lodges going dark in the summer. Can anyone explain it to me? Seems like if it was going to happen, wintertime, with holidays and difficult travel, would be the likelier time to do it.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Some of it goes back to the days before A/C . It was just to hot to meet in July and August . And I take it that some GL/Lodges still keep it going because this is when families go on vacations and other summer events .

OwenKL

Some of it goes back to the days before A/C . It was just too hot to meet in July and August.
And I take it that some GL/Lodges still keep it going because this is when families go on vacations and other summer events .
Nope. I don't buy either of those. That might be an excuse for schools to let out (too hot to concentrate on lessons, plus the distraction of good weather to play in), but Lodges generally met in the cooler evenings. And it's not as if staying away from Lodge meant they could stay someplace cooler. No one had home air conditioning, either. When it first came out, the Lodges may well have had it before private homes anyway. Between winter weather, spring planting, and fall harvest, summer was probably the best time to meet in agrarian communities.
As for vacations, who takes two month vacations? Two weeks at most, and those staggered through the summer. So just because a few Brethren might be gone on any particular date, that doesn't mean that the Lodge couldn't get together a quorum. Besides, that would be when you'd want the Lodge open to welcome visiting Brethren who were vacation in your own area from somewhere else!
No, there must still be something else, and I still can't see what.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Sorry , but that's one of the main reasons . You may not buy it , you may not believe it , but that's how it is . The lodge my York Rite bodies meet in did not have A/C so we voted to go dark in July and August . We now have A/C but kept the rule of going dark because very few showed updue to vacations, baseball games ,fishing and other summer activities . It's no fun having a meeting with sweat running in your eyes and your shirts soaking wet .

There is also the Farmers that have to wait till they get home from their regular jobs to work on their farms and that is a 7 day a week job .So summer was the worst time for Masons to meet in country lodges . I was raised on a farm and I know from experience . Not all Freemasons or their lodges are in a city .

As for the vacations and all the other reasons you don't buy . I have been to lodge in summer when there is only 3 or 4 of us there . I see know reason why bother opening lodge if no one is coming . We opened lodge as not to violate the by-laws of the GL of KY , but closed it almost as soon as we opened .

I honestly do not see why that's so hard to buy anyways . From all Masons I have talked to and have read on other boards on this subject agrees with the above explanations with the exception of you or are you just trying to be difficult ?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Since you make it obvious that I have no idea what I'm talking about ,though I've been a Freemason for years , here's a link for you . The first paragraph give the reasons why most lodges go dark (Which is the true reason). But if you want a more estoric answer , which is nothing more than speculation then here you go.......Masonic Traveler: Why lodges go Dark…

But it all boils down to this , You are trying to find some deeper meaning in lodges going dark when it is nothing more than a convenience for it's members to take a little time off ,recharge their batteries and be with there families for the summer .

I can guarantee that you ask any other Mason and you will get the same answers that I have given .

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I do agree with Ashlar, Atleast in our masonic district, it is the choice of the individual lodges if they which to call off from labor during July and August. The premise being most lodges are of an older nature with no A/C. Our lodge was retrofitted with a heat/AC, but does little to offer without running constantly (making it difficult to hear ANYTHING). We elect to go dark to afford the brethren a repreave from the heat. Also allows the officers a short break from responsibilities of their stations.

OwenKL

Ashlar, I'm sorry you think I'm making some sort of attack on you. Really, I'm not. Lodges do go dark, so obviously there is some reason for it, and I don't think it needs to be any more esoteric than the reason for Moon Lodges. What you're giving is the conventional wisdom. But the conventional wisdom has been wrong before, and I have reason to believe it may be in this case as well.

I was 41 when I became a Mason. And until the summer following that, I had never heard the term "go dark". I had to have someone explain it to me. I'd been a joiner all my life, belonged to many organizations, and none of them ever closed down in the summer. Not Toastmasters. Not Lions. Not theater groups. Not special interest clubs. Not churches. Not businesses and not bureaucracies. The only ones that closed were schools and legislatures, and the latter because that was the time they campaigned for re-election, nothing to do with vacations or air conditioning. And neither schools nor legislatures had that distinctive terminology of "going dark" to describe their summer hiatuses.

I want to find out where both the term and the tradition "going dark" come from. When did it start? Do Australian and European Lodges "go dark"? If air conditioning is behind it, why does Georgia, a state that probably gets warm in the summer, forbid their Lodges from going dark? (And what other states or provinces do, too?) Is there a connection to the business term "going dark," meaning not revealing company dealings to the public? Why don't we "go dark" in the dark of the year, when winter weather makes traveling to and from Lodge downright dangerous?

My wife suggests maybe it was to avoid conflict with Grand Lodge sessions, and expanded over time. Could this be a possibility?

Assumptions based on today's conditions about practices in the 18th century are risky.

RoughAshlar

As much as I would prefer my lodge didn't go dark for the summer, we do. The reason is that people take vacation in the summer, and the kids are out of school and into other activities that eat up alot of time. Its just the way its done here.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Ashlar, I'm sorry you think I'm making some sort of attack on you. Really, I'm not. Lodges do go dark, so obviously there is some reason for it, and I don't think it needs to be any more esoteric than the reason for Moon Lodges. What you're giving is the conventional wisdom. But the conventional wisdom has been wrong before, and I have reason to believe it may be in this case as well.

I was 41 when I became a Mason. And until the summer following that, I had never heard the term "go dark". I had to have someone explain it to me. I'd been a joiner all my life, belonged to many organizations, and none of them ever closed down in the summer. Not Toastmasters. Not Lions. Not theater groups. Not special interest clubs. Not churches. Not businesses and not bureaucracies. The only ones that closed were schools and legislatures, and the latter because that was the time they campaigned for re-election, nothing to do with vacations or air conditioning. And neither schools nor legislatures had that distinctive terminology of "going dark" to describe their summer hiatuses.

I want to find out where both the term and the tradition "going dark" come from. When did it start? Do Australian and European Lodges "go dark"? If air conditioning is behind it, why does Georgia, a state that probably gets warm in the summer, forbid their Lodges from going dark? (And what other states or provinces do, too?) Is there a connection to the business term "going dark," meaning not revealing company dealings to the public? Why don't we "go dark" in the dark of the year, when winter weather makes traveling to and from Lodge downright dangerous?

My wife suggests maybe it was to avoid conflict with Grand Lodge sessions, and expanded over time. Could this be a possibility?

Assumptions based on today's conditions about practices in the 18th century are risky.
No problem . Ky. also forbids lodges from going dark .

But back on the subjectof A/C and what not . Each state does things differently . One of my mentors has been a Mason going on 60 years . He comes from a state that allows their lodges to go dark before he demitted a few years ago to become a Ky. Freemason . I called him the other night and asked him why his old lodge went dark and this was the reason he gave ,"it was just too hot back in those early days so we opted to go dark in the summer" . This man knows more about Masonry than any man I have met ,so I'll take his word for it .

And according to Masons from the United Kingdom that are members over on mastermason.com forums , they too go dark in the Summer . So it not only goes on in the US .

I've been told this was one of the main reasons many other lodges went dark . So seeing how Ky. lodges do not go dark ,hence my Lodge does not go dark and other states Grand Lodges do allow this , I can not question them or tell them they are wrong or I state that I don't believe their reasons for going dark . If another Brother Mason tells me his Lodge goes dark because it's to hot in the summer , then I will take his words as truth , it's their lodges so they should know , and seeing how it's not my lodge or my GL it's really none of my buisness . By denying or saying one doesn't believe their reasons other Masons have stated for their lodges going dark is nothing more than calling them liars , and I am not willing to call any brother a liar .

By using other clubs ,schools , churches and buisnesses as examples to prove a point serves no purpose , as they are not Freemasons . Of course they wouldn't use the term "Going Dark" as we do, that's how we use that term and if they do not take summer breaks that's their buisness . I'm not a joiner though I am in the Lions also , I was roped into it by my wife and do not attend their meetings and functions , and our Lions club meet in the local steakhouse and have dinner and cold drinks while they are conducting their meeting , not in the second floor of an 80 year old lodge building dressed in suits and lodge regalia and besides Lodges also go dark so the Brothers can be with their families , and family should always come before the Lodge .

"Assumptions based on today's conditions about practices in the 18th century are risky"

Who said we were talking about the 18th century .I am not assuming anything , but going by reasons given to me by men who were Masons long before us . My lodge did not have A/C until the late 70's and many have told me that they wished that the GL would have let them go dark back then , so they held their meetings in the dinning room on the first floor .Many still do want to go dark in the summer but for other reasons . Last time I checked the 1970's , or the 1920's , 30's , 40's or 50's for that matter , was not the 18th century . I was not even talking about Masons from the 18th century . I am talking about what I have been told by Masons from other jurisdictions , from their own time period , our time period , the 20th century . It looks to me like you are the one making the assumptions , thinking that I am basing the reasons of going dark on the 18th century .

This is nothing more than making a mountain out of a mole hill .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have went through most all of my masonic books the past few days on this subject as to find more information as to clarify this matter for you . There is very little in way of "Going Dark " . But what I have found is pretty much all that I and others have stated already . Most say the tradition goes back to the days when farmers needed to be in their fields nonstop during that part of the year and because the lack of A/C on hot , airless days in the upstairs lodge rooms . This quote came from Chris Hodapp , but what little else I found on it was pretty much along the same lines , just worded somewhat differently .

So you've heard from Masons who's Lodges that do go dark , you've heard from me , I 've quoted a 60 year Mason that also has agreed with our reasons of why Lodges go dark , I've quoted a well known Masonic author on the subject , I've trolled around on other Freemason forums who all claim the same reasons for going dark. There's not much more that can be said on the subject , yet you will probably still disagree and you are the only Mason I have ever heard disagree or claim there is another reason for it . So , since all these Masons(some of whom are Past Masters , Mentors/coaches and above all MASONS) who have stated the why's of going dark in their lodges are all still wrong , this is my last post concerning your questions and comments on this subject ,I'm done with it . Believe what you will .