The Pencil

Winter

I've been here before
The pencil is one of three working tools found in the Emulation Rite (and others) that were not retained in the American Workings. The pencil is the third working tool of the third degree. And as Ashlar said above, part of the symbolism is to remind us that GAOTU is watching. ;) But more importantly, like the compasses, it is a tool of design and planning. Used before the FC tries his first square corner.

If you would like some more Light about the three tools that aren't found in American workings, here is a pretty good STB. (You didn't think I was just going to hand it all to you, did you?)

http://www.smithfieldlodge.com/Light/STB/Stb8403.htm

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I purchased an Emulation Ritual a few months ago and after reading , all I have to say is I wish we were working that ritual in my lodge(s) . At the very least I wish we had the missing working tools in our degrees .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The missing working tools continue the three time three pattern.
This is true .

Winter , I may have asked this , or you may have mentioned it before( but I am too lazy to search through the old threads) , but did your Emulation lodge require it's candidates to write papers before they could progress through the degrees ?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
This is needed in all lodges .

Sorry for the questions , but after reading that Emulation Ritual I am fascinated with it and REALLY want to work those degrees .

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
This is needed in all lodges .

Sorry for the questions , but after reading that Emulation Ritual I am fascinated with it and REALLY want to work those degrees .
Okay, we have an opportunity. There are several ways to go about 'work those degrees'. I agree, they are interesting and would add to my personal Masoninc journey.
1. Join an EE Lodge
2. Visit an EE Lodge when they are performing those degree(s)
3. Educate our Lodges, describe them in a talk/educational format
4. Seek permission from our GLs to perform them in our Lodges, again as an educational event
5. Asking the local EE Lodge to perform them for us in our Lodges.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Okay, we have an opportunity. There are several ways to go about 'work those degrees'. I agree, they are interesting and would add to my personal Masoninc journey.
1. Join an EE Lodge

None in my state .

2. Visit an EE Lodge when they are performing those degree(s)

See above .

3. Educate our Lodges, describe them in a talk/educational format

Will be doing that next year .

4. Seek permission from our GLs to perform them in our Lodges, again as an educational event

See above going to do that next year .

5. Asking the local EE Lodge to perform them for us in our Lodges.

Again , no Emulation lodges near me .

Winter

I've been here before
Duncan, what are you referring to as an EE Lodge? I'm not familiar with that term. Wisconsin has an EC Lodge. That stands for European Concept. Which is different from a TO Lodge.

Here is a short description about the two from the Masonic Restoration Foundation.

European Concept and Traditional Observance Lodges

There has been some confusion about the terms Traditional Observance Lodge and European Concept Lodge. The terms have often been used interchangeably, though this is a mistake, as important differences exist between the two approaches to structuring a Masonic lodge. To help eliminate the confusion we would like to show that Traditional Observance lodges differ from what have become know as European Concept lodges in three important ways.

The focus is different.

All Traditional Observance lodges have a guiding initiatic focus to all their activities. All efforts are made to create a deep, contemplative atmosphere in all meetings. This is achieved by employing darkness, candle light, periods of silence and meditation and strict rules for degree conferral and candidate advancement. European Concept lodges tend not to have such guiding and definitive focus, even if they follow many similar practices.

The models are different.

European Concept lodges tend to begin with the English lodge model and then infuse it with the Continental European system of candidate education. The “European Concept” came out of an English constitution jurisdiction when Lodge Epicurean No. 906 was founded by Kent Henderson in 1993 in Geelong, Australia.
The first American lodge to adopt a similar approach was St. Albans Lodge No. 1455, founded in 1992 by Pete Normand in College Station, Texas. This lodge adopted the English model of meeting quarterly and follows the “Seven Principles of Traditional Freemasonry,” enumerated by John Mauk Hilliard.
In contrast, TO lodges begin with the North American lodge model and enrich it with traditional initiatic elements practiced in Continental European and Latin American Freemasonry. TO lodges endeavor to have complete Masonic programs monthly.

The uniformity between lodges is different.

TO lodges are relatively uniform, whereas European Concept lodges vary from one another significantly. TO lodges all follow the same standards prescribed by the MRF and participate in the Foundation’s national efforts toward Masonic renewal. European Concept lodges are not usually related to one another in any way and have approaches to Freemasonry that can be radically different.