The Secrets of a Freemason

How do WE know what the secrets of masonry are? I assume our obligations are very similar from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. I've heard it said many times that the secrets of masonry are the means of identification and the details of the ritual. All I can find in our Masonic Code is that "degree work may not be discussed in front of non-masons". At a public event a few months ago, a Past Grand Master gave a very nice speech. In it, he incorporated all the working tools of the three degrees, and gave there uses, almost verbatum from our degrees. Prior, I would have considered this something off-limits to discuss in public. The way I understand my obligation, without going into or disclosing the details of it, is that I will not share the secrets of masonry if something is communicated to me to be a secret. In my years as a mason, no one has ever said to me "by the way Mike, this is a secret of masonry, so keep it that way". Who is qualified to let me know if something is secret or not? I have a good idea, and feel I've always been faithful to my obligations and the Masonic Code of MN, but I'm curious what others think...
Mike

CoachN

Builder Builder
I was told initially what the secrets were. They were given me during the three Blue Lodge Rituals.

Since that time, I 've discovered that these things are not secret at all. They are pieces of confidential information entrust to me for safe keeping. I shall continue to honor that trust even though I do not view them as secrets any longer. The point is not if they are secret or not. The point is the trust that was placed in me to keep and share these things accordingly.

What I've also discovered is that there are many things that people simply can't see or don't understand that I do see and understand. These things have been referred to as "secret" by others. But from everything that I know about them, they are not secret at all. They are merely things that are not seen or understood by the majority of those who have not taken the time to see and understand them.

At least, that's how I see and understand it.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Secrets?

I liked what Dr. S. Brent Morris said on one of those History Channel programs about what Masonry is: [paraphrased]

"Anyone with a little intelligence and some time can do the research and discover all the secrets of Masonry. You might have found them already, if you have, I don't care, but, I won't tell you, because I have promised that I would not."

This resonated in me! It finally crystallized what Masonry really meant to me.
A few months later, I had the opportunity to tell him so in person at a Masonic function in Raleigh.
I am a man of integrity.
I will keep my word.

S&F

I agree with Coach and Bob.... I dont think I am keeping secrets... I am keeping my word.....IF a man can not keep his word...well he has lost all true value...

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Now you have me wondering. We leave the permanent jewels (Ashlars, for example) in the Lodge rooms all the time probably because they are heavy :) When I give tours of the lodge to non-masons, I tell them the basic meaning of them.

I show them the altar and tell them about the VSL, S&C but not the details. I always mention the fact that we would be happy to use whatever book the candidate holds to be sacred for the VSL during his degree work.

Most of these things were never hidden from me before I became a Mason but they were "revealed" to me during Ritual. Where is that line?

G

Gary

Now you have me wondering. We leave the permanent jewels (Ashlars, for example) in the Lodge rooms all the time probably because they are heavy :) When I give tours of the lodge to non-masons, I tell them the basic meaning of them.

I show them the altar and tell them about the VSL, S&C but not the details. I always mention the fact that we would be happy to use whatever book the candidate holds to be sacred for the VSL during his degree work.

Most of these things were never hidden from me before I became a Mason but they were "revealed" to me during Ritual. Where is that line?
Ask 30 Masons, and you will likely get 30 different opinions. My opinion is that the line is drawn at the basic modes of recognition and the like.

Symbolism of Freemasonry is certainly not secret. It is merely layered in allegory and deeper meaning. Anyone who bothers to study symbolism in any region or culture would be able to gather the information contained in our symbols. The real question is would they know what to do with it?

That is the real secret I believe. If that weren't the case, why would those symbols be so freely available and visible?

CoachN

Builder Builder
...Symbolism of Freemasonry is certainly not secret. It is merely layered in allegory and deeper meaning. Anyone who bothers to study symbolism in any region or culture would be able to gather the information contained in our symbols. The real question is would they know what to do with it?

That is the real secret I believe. If that weren't the case, why would those symbols be so freely available and visible?
We are in accord.

failghe

I was told, what ever happens in the Lodge room stays in the Lodge room. Not even to be spoken to other Brothers outside. But I do agree with what the others have said. You can see the symbols but what are they? When I was first walked into the lodge I was told everything you see has a meaning. But what is the meaning of these things I see? You will decide.

Ofotherworlds

I was told, explicitly by my mentor (because I asked), that the secrets of Freemasonry were the exact wording of the rituals and exams, and the signs, tokens, grips, words, and passes of the three degrees.

Beyond that, there's no secret- it would be perfectly alright to tell my mother, for instance, that the columns on my masonic lapel pin (which was my Grandpa's) represented the pillars of King Salomon's Temple, and that the square and compass were symbols of morality. I could even describe to an anxious friend in a general way what goes on when an EA is initiated- that the candidate is blindfolded etc, caused to kneel, led around the lodge, etc... as long as I did not reveal the exact words used.

I would say that in general something should be considered secret if it would allow someone to create a counterfeit masonic meeting which would fool Masons of the degree in which the "meeting" was purportedly "held". I should note that from what I have read, the "masonic rituals" floating around the net and available in published form date from the 1890s and are not identical to actual modern masonic rituals.

Confidences from other brothers communicated "on the square", are of course also secret.

I was told, what ever happens in the Lodge room stays in the Lodge room. Not even to be spoken to other Brothers outside. But I do agree with what the others have said. You can see the symbols but what are they? When I was first walked into the lodge I was told everything you see has a meaning. But what is the meaning of these things I see? You will decide.
What I have put in bold would be especially true for me...especially at our stated communications..... I would hate to bore someone to death:eek:......it is no secret that we have to pay our water ,sewer,electric bills...pay the insurance, or find out how much money we have in our CD we have....(we are saving up to get our parking lot paved....shhhhhh):eek::eek::D

What I have put in bold would be especially true for me...especially at our stated communications..... I would hate to bore someone to death:eek:......it is no secret that we have to pay our water ,sewer,electric bills...pay the insurance, or find out how much money we have in our CD we have....(we are saving up to get our parking lot paved....shhhhhh):eek::eek::D
Well, the minutes of our meetings, which are very detailed, are posted on the bulletin board of our lower level, which is a room anyone can go into. We rent it out to the garden club, or for parties, plus all the affiliated masonic bodies use it. Even the results of votes, petitions that were read, etc, are posted publicly in the minutes.

CoachN

Builder Builder
I imagine a bagged kitty would have some value to someone, but can't begin to imagine how Masons might be benefited by one.

Perhaps that is a secret that is best shared through PM. ;)

thebrianmo

Darn! You guys have a bagged cat in your Ritual? I gotta see that! :D
LOL would love to see that as well.

For me personally, I share next to nothing about what happens in Lodge. I guess, being new, it's that "better safe than sorry" mentality. Now I did remark to my wife how cool it is to me, because I am a Pastor, and when I was in school studied King Solomon's Temple extensively, and so that aspect is really cool to me. But in so doing was careful not to disclose any part of the ritual or lecture. The most my wife knows when I come home from Lodge is what kind of pie we had because I always bring her a piece :D

I imagine a bagged kitty would have some value to someone, but can't begin to imagine how Masons might be benefited by one.

Perhaps that is a secret that is best shared through PM. ;)
Bagged kitties were very valuable back when people used to buy a pig in a poke (sight unseen). That is, I believe where the term came from. When a shady character would put cats in the poke and get out of town before someone let the cat out of the bag. (there's no "nerd" smiley, I could use one about now)