This could be interesting

jaya

I saw that yesterday. $300 for minimum dues sounds like a lot. I would have to give up anything other than the blue lodges. Although, that is still under $1 per day. It comes down to question how much freemasonry is worth to you. Look at college frats that charge $600 per semester. Poor college students still come up with that somehow.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
Interesting.

At our last Annual Communication in Feb 2011, the members voted to raise the per capita dues paid to Grand Lodge by $4.00 this year and $1.00 additional per year for the next 3 years. This was in response to an failed attempt to raise the GL assessement from $24.50 per year to $50.00 per capita in 2011, $75.00 per capita in 2012 and finally in 2013 to $100.00 per capita. This would be in addition to the subordinate blue lodge dues.

Three years ago I sucessfully sponsored an amendment to the bylaws in my lodge to change the dues structure from $XX.XX per year to $XX.XX per year plus Grand Lodge assessment. I did this to keep from having to change the bylaws every time there was an increase in the per capita to GL, and also to keep from having to get into our investments more and more every year.

Zack

I saw that yesterday. $300 for minimum dues sounds like a lot. I would have to give up anything other than the blue lodges. Although, that is still under $1 per day. It comes down to question how much freemasonry is worth to you. Look at college frats that charge $600 per semester. Poor college students still come up with that somehow.
The doubling of dues = raising per capita from$29 to $60.
The $300 minimum is for initiation fees not lodge dues.

jaya

Your right. I missed that. Then they are not actually doubleing the dues. They are doubleing the per capita. $300 for initiation is what we charge in the SR.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Wow. The highest dues around are area are 120 and that matches our Shrine dues I believe. SR 100 a year and YR 20, 30, 30. My lodge is on the cheaper side but there's talk...

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
It amazes me how dues are so cheap in some areas. People complain when their dues go up, but yet they manage to have the funds for all of the other bodies they belong to.

I say jack up the minimum allowable dues to at least $500/year, and make it mandatory for every Lodge to charge it. That way, the Blue Lodge comes first. People need to get their priorities straight. Operating cost's go up.

Every Masonic function I've ever been to, I see money getting thrown in a hat for something or someone peddling wares. With all of that cash flow the "joiner's" have, it shouldn't be a problem.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
It amazes me how dues are so cheap in some areas. People complain when their dues go up, but yet they manage to have the funds for all of the other bodies they belong to.

I say jack up the minimum allowable dues to at least $500/year, and make it mandatory for every Lodge to charge it. That way, the Blue Lodge comes first. People need to get their priorities straight. Operating cost's go up.

Every Masonic function I've ever been to, I see money getting thrown in a hat for something or someone peddling wares. With all of that cash flow the "joiner's" have, it shouldn't be a problem.

I can agree with this . But here is my spin , I say Grand Lodges should look at what the SR , YR , Shrine and OES dues are , add them all up , THEN add them to the Craft Lodge dues of each lodge and make this the mandatory dues for Freemasons of each jurisdiction . I would gladly give all the dues I pay in my other bodies to my Craft lodge , I would leave all the other bodies in a heart beat , and carry one dues card in my wallet . It is the only dues card that counts . I love the YR , can take or leave the other bodies , but I can live without it .

BUT , if money is such an issue with some lodges then they need to rethink things . I am a huge advocate for two or more lodges to move their charters and share one building or , if this is not an option , then RENT a room once or twice a month ( no operating costs , just the cost of rent once or twice a month) . I honestly do not understand this attachment to huge , outdated buildings and their operating costs . A building is not a lodge nor is it Masonry . I could , and would , happily meet my brothers in a small conference room down the road at the Holiday Inn just as easily as I could in my lodge's building . Would save us a pant load of money a year , and the money we do have in our accounts could go for more important things .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I'm a Massachusetts Mason and very involved. The hike in Grand Lodge dues is, in my opinion, pretty easy to swallow if there is a belt tightening to go along with it. Lodges that tie their dues to Grand Lodge dues will change their bylaws or take advantage of the Worshipful Master's power to override dues for any member.

The $300 initiation fee is much more contentious for me. Massachusetts has been on the forefront of publicizing the Fraternity and encouraging men from all walks of life to become Masons. Many young men will not be able to afford such a big chunk of money. I know I would have had to think long and hard about it and probably would have chosen to sacrifice my desire to be a Mason in favor of giving my family more opportunities with the difference in fees. My Lodge charged a $100 initiation fee when I joined.

Now it's a different story, of course. I only wear two pieces of jewelry: my wedding ring and my masonic ring. I wouldn't want to lose what either represents. But that's after getting involved and knowing how Masonry has given me so much more than I could have imagined.

I've spoken with my Lodge's Master and Wardens and let them know how I feel as have most of the others in my lodge. Since Grand Lodge cannot make this change without the consent of the Lodge representatives, we will see what happens over the next six months. Grand Lodge will introduce the proposed changes in December and the membership will vote on them in March.

It will definitely put many interested men at a disadvantage. I would never have joined if it was $300.00 to join plus dues. I think dues need to go up a bit but this economy is not the best time do such a large increase.

I will say that : AskaFreemason.org :. Home is where I did get many..many questions answered prior to my joining the fraternity and several of the Brothers/Admin/Mods were mentors for me....

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
It will definitely put many interested men at a disadvantage. I would never have joined if it was $300.00 to join plus dues. I think dues need to go up a bit but this economy is not the best time do such a large increase.

I will say that : AskaFreemason.org :. Home is where I did get many..many questions answered prior to my joining the fraternity and several of the Brothers/Admin/Mods were mentors for me....
I paid 300 bucks for the degrees and 125 for my annual dues all within a few months. Was it a strain on my budget? Yup! No doubt. I still say charge $300 for initiation and $500 + or more annual dues/ +GL per capita.

You want to know why? Every person that's responded so far has touched upon my point. "Gee... I would have to seriously think about my commitment to Freemasonry".

Will it keep good men out of the fraternity? Nope. I waited until I could afford to join. It took several years of hard thinking. It will also turn away many who are just looking for a title.

The point to my little rant? It's called guarding the West Gate.

I paid 300 bucks for the degrees and 125 for my annual dues all within a few months. Was it a strain on my budget? Yup! No doubt. I still say charge $300 for initiation and $500 + or more annual dues/ +GL per capita.

You want to know why? Every person that's responded so far has touched upon my point. "Gee... I would have to seriously think about my commitment to Freemasonry".

Will it keep good men out of the fraternity? Nope. I waited until I could afford to join. It took several years of hard thinking. It will also turn away many who are just looking for a title.

The point to my little rant? It's called guarding the West Gate.
I dont disagree..... but when you have the "advertisement" such as they do in MA..... then add the big increase in fees....it just might look like an attempt to just raise money....If you are gonna guard the West Gate.... I am all for it, but dont make it look like it is available for all to pass through.

Not bashing the GL of MA efforts to gain members.... just stating what the impression will or could be because of these actions.

Zack

I dont disagree..... but when you have the "advertisement" such as they do in MA..... then add the big increase in fees....it just might look like an attempt to just raise money....If you are gonna guard the West Gate.... I am all for it, but dont make it look like it is available for all to pass through..
Isn't that what it is?

Lax67

I can agree with this . But here is my spin , I say Grand Lodges should look at what the SR , YR , Shrine and OES dues are , add them all up , THEN add them to the Craft Lodge dues of each lodge and make this the mandatory dues for Freemasons of each jurisdiction . I would gladly give all the dues I pay in my other bodies to my Craft lodge , I would leave all the other bodies in a heart beat , and carry one dues card in my wallet . It is the only dues card that counts . I love the YR , can take or leave the other bodies , but I can live without it .

BUT , if money is such an issue with some lodges then they need to rethink things . I am a huge advocate for two or more lodges to move their charters and share one building or , if this is not an option , then RENT a room once or twice a month ( no operating costs , just the cost of rent once or twice a month) . I honestly do not understand this attachment to huge , outdated buildings and their operating costs . A building is not a lodge nor is it Masonry . I could , and would , happily meet my brothers in a small conference room down the road at the Holiday Inn just as easily as I could in my lodge's building . Would save us a pant load of money a year , and the money we do have in our accounts could go for more important things .
Have you gotten your copy of Observing the Craft yet? :)

Lax67

In my opinion the increment in dues recieved should not be used for marketing or to send GM on trips around the country. If that's what the extra money is used for that'd be disappointing. However, if the money is put to good use, say, updating lodges, expanding or creating educational programs, etc. then that would make more sense and benefit the craft.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
In my opinion the increment in dues recieved should not be used for marketing or to send GM on trips around the country. If that's what the extra money is used for that'd be disappointing. However, if the money is put to good use, say, updating lodges, expanding or creating educational programs, etc. then that would make more sense and benefit the craft.
If a GL wants to double their per capita , then the members really need to take a look at the Grand Treasurer's annual report on disbursements . Well , every Mason should be looking into that every year anyway . They are spending your money after all , you really should know how it is being spent . You will be VERY surprised !!

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
For those saying to raise the dues, what is the limit? Why not $5,000 or $10,000 to join and $2,500 a year for dues?

On a side note, at the Shrine one day a Noble was saying that the Prince Hall Shriners charges a large amount, that is where I got the initiation of $5k - $10k as one of those is what they charge and something like $1k a year in dues. They say it is to help keep only the serious people from joining. Not sure if it is true or not.

So at what point is the dues too much?

Lax67

For those saying to raise the dues, what is the limit?
Good question. What is the sweet spot, whereby membership is not too cost prohibitive but lodges are able to operate as they wish.

Prior to submitting my petition I looked for annual dues. I mistakenly misread a lodge's trestleboard and calculated annual dues to be $960 a year. I talked this over with my wife and we decided it'd be a worthwhile expenditure because joining meant that much to me. I was relieved to learn later on that dues were only $52/year and what I actually calculated was the total perpetual membership fee.

Anyway, the point being is that $900-$1000/yr for one brother was OK. How about for others?

In comparison, I pay $1000 for a family YMCA membership. How much do guys spend on golf? Bikes? ball games? So would $1000 be too much? What's the priority of Masonry relative to other, more expensive leisure activities?

WOW...... now we are comparing Masonry to leisure activities..... I would NOT want to be a member of a Lodge that would not accept me simply because I could not afford a very expensive dues.... $1000....STUPIDLY HIGH......sorry I dont mean to offend anyone but ANYONE that says raising the dues by hundreds of dollars is guarding the west gate.... I say that is total bullsh!t........ you are now putting a monetary price on Masonry. Now dont get me wrong... $100-$150 would be an acceptable rate for dues but and the same for degrees......

WE Guard the West Gate by doing better investigations of whom we are letting in.... their bank account or ability to pay hundreds of dollars is not a good judge for the type of man they are........