this might be odd question but how do you know if you are ready to become a Mason

Cls

My father is a Mason(inactive) and my grand father was a Mason. and i have been for a while considering joining the brotherhood but i wonder in my mind would i be joing for the wrong reasons. I mean i see Masons driving nice cars and the brotherhood and the fact that my i have family members in it as well as Masons being very visible in Virginia. and i hope on a sub conscious level i dont just want to join for the shiny things i respect the history too much for that i like all history in general. Im only 23 so i know i have time to still grow up an mature about my reasons. Also i believe in God but im not a big church goer or feel strongly about a certain faith I just believe in a God i could go on but id be rambling so if you all have any input it would really really greatly appreciated.

brothermarc

Hi, if I may...
To be a Mason, you don't need to 'grow up' to become a Mason. If you know you are a good person, believe in God (being religious is very different than believing in God by the way - as you probably know) then there is nothing but yourself to stop you from taking the step to be one.
It is a lifetime commitment but it is a lifetime commitment to yourself only. As far as your age, it matters not since age does not add to people's knowledge of things (or themselves). Age matters if you keep going through years without the attempt to better yourself - which is what every brother entering Masonry is striving for. In other words, your age might be an advatage if you think you know enough about yourself to be humble enough to build on your strengths and better your weaknesses.
I am hoping this will help you a bit ;)

RevDrCLRogersSr

There are a number of reasons why a man becomes a Mason. One of the best reasons is the fellowship with a group of men that all share a belief in God. I joined 30 years ago, not realizing that my uncle was a Mason and my grandfather had been a Mason also. Shortly after joining my father came up to me and said, "I guess you are going to want me to join too!" It was my honor to petition him for membership and take part in his work.
I have not benefited financially from being a Mason, but have been proud to be recognized as someone of the highest character, honest, and ready to help others.
So what can you look forward to if you join? Your father may want to become active again and this would be something that you could share together. I know that I cherish the memories of the time my father and I spent together. After he had completed his initial degree work and became a Master Mason, we attend our degree work together both through the York Rite and Scottish Rite for our 32nd degree. Later we both joined the Shrine together, but I can tell you that we were only active within the Blue Lodge - the place it all begins.
Talk with you father and consider joining a great group of guys.
Oh - in closing let me say that when my father passed away earlier this year the Masonic part of his memorial service was fantastic. I conducted the rest of his service so as to include his service to this country for 23 years being a veteran of 3 wars and his faith in God. I nominated my father for the Golden Trowel Award - the highest award given at the Blue Lodge level and our Masonic brothers came to his home New Years day to present it to him. He passed away just 6 weeks later.
Sorry - it is too easy for me to ramble on too when it comes to the great memories I have from my Masonic past.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
CLS-

As the other respondents have pointed out, there are countless, and we do mean countless, reasons for becoming a Mason. Not all of them are 'valid', perhaps, but that's a call you have to make yourself. If you are joining to get "shiny things" (as you put it) you are going to be very disappointed. The only shiny thing that Freemasonry provides you is the beaming glitter of a glad heart. But a glad heart is a wonderful thing to have and a treasure of such value that people around the world constantly strive to achieve it.

In fact, you will pay (petition and degree fees, dues and assessments) to be a Mason. You will be asked to contribute to charities of your own free will. You'll reach into your pocket to attend dinners and special programs. And you know what? You'll do it gladly. Gladly because (if you are truly a Mason in your heart) you will be supporting our causes. Gladly because your dues open the door of the most amazing fraternity unto you. Gladly because of the fellowship you receive.

Freemasonry is the most ancient and most honorable fraternity surviving in the world today. That says something about us: the years have not dimmed the light of our order. We have always provided, and continue to provide, an environment where good men can interact, where they can hold each other by the hand AS BROTHERS, and where they can find ways to make their communities a better place to live. Now, my friend, if that is something you want, and if you think it's worth the price; if our community is something that your heart and mind call for; and if you want to make a difference in this world, then our doors are open to you. Just submit a petition and very soon we will be able to take you by the hand as a brother.

Cls

thank all of you for that now i see what you all mean i think im going to submit my petition sometime in the future

pdh825

Master Mason
Cls,
How you know you are ready is different for each person. Since you are questioning it, is a good indication that you are ready.

Brother Liberty

Service Officer
The best thing to do is talk to your father and grandfather (if possible) and find out why they chose to join. Also talk to your father about why he is not active. This will help you shape your answer. Don't look at the cars they drive, you don't get on if you join. I am a master mason who is very active and I drive a beat up old minivan.

When you are ready, if you ever are, you will find your way to a lodge.

Highpriest42

I'm ready to join where can I get a app?

I'm ready to join where can i get a app? I've been reading amazing stories through history of brothers helping each other in times of trouble even in the middle of a battle field...stopping to help a masonic brother who is on THE OPPOSITE SIDE of the war! Truly amazing!!! I am a Kabbalist..I studied it for over seven years...I'm not Jewish...I come from a Seventh Day Adventist background. Religion damaged me badly back then...but once I read the ZOHAR I practiced the teachings I found in it and I was able to heal myself with the light of the ZOHAR to overcome the pain caused by the religion. So I know full well what is talked about about spark in the heart...or doing things to work on your character that is a part of my daily Kabbalistic life. The teachings of the Infinite One the EIN SOF taught me how to tolerate all other religions and the gods the other people worship do to my understanding of how we are all on different paths heading to the same goal. I am also aware how one can acquire power in there life by using these ancient and deep secrets found in the ZOHAR. And from what I have read on this site...Mason seems to fit living that lifestyle...and it will be nice to be a part of a large body of members that "Tolerate all religions and backgrounds yet can be united and one in brotherhood! I think the ZOHAR and its priceless teachings(I have fell deeply in love with the light of the ZOHAR...and I consider it the greatest treasure over all physical monies things or possessions that I have)I have found has prepared me for such fellowship! Email me for how I can join I am in the Ohio region of the US. Mountainofheaven@aol.com

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
You need to ask a Freemason for a petition . If you do not know a Freemason , then find a lodge near you and their meeting times and stop in and say hello and ask for a petition . Here is a link to the Grand Lodge of Ohio ....The Grand Lodge of Free & Accepted Masons of Ohio , here you may find a list of lodges along with the times and days of the month they meet .

thebrianmo

For me personally, it was 15 years in the making before I finally petitioned my local lodge and am now an EA. I grew up in a "church" that was very much against the Masonic Lodge and I got to the point where I did my own study and research and learned as much as I could and already it's been a fantastic experience. I love that in the Lodge we are all brothers. I enjoy the fraternity and the friendships as well and I wanted to offer myself to an organization that I believe in and serve and give in every way possible.