Visiting

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Another topic ......

I have read and heard on other forums and talking with out of state Masons that when visiting other lodges (within your own jurisdiction ) that it is not good to show up unannounced and that one should let the lodge one is intending to visit know in advance . This is an alien concept to me , we travel freely and I sometimes go to sister lodges on a whim .

Heck , I travel across the river(s) to out of state lodges on spur of the moment also and there has never been a problem . I showed my dues card , was properly tried and I was allowed in and the other way around .

So , does your jurisdiction require you to give advance notice to sister lodges in your area/state prior to visiting ?

MWS

Within our jurisdiction, I just show up and there has been no issues, and have been welcomed. Outside the district I send an email to their secretary...they appreciate the "heads up" so they have enough refreshments prepared. I have yet to travel Stateside, for which I would have to request contact via my GL. I look forward to visiting our "sister Lodge" in Niagara (USA) later this fall, but it is an official visit and our officers are working out the details...

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I've travelled to many lodges both within and outside my jurisdiction. I always contact the lodge secretary or Junior Warden before I visit for two reasons: 1) make sure they have enough food and 2) So I know what I'm getting into. I am very active on another forum. So active that they made me a moderator. I try to help everybody I can. As a result, I get invited by many candidates to come to their lodge and their degrees. One lodge I went to has a professional caterer and if I had not made a dinner reservation I would have gone hungry. Another lodge I was invited to had a dinner that would have cost me $50- (way beyond my budget) So I didn't go.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I've travelled to many lodges both within and outside my jurisdiction. I always contact the lodge secretary or Junior Warden before I visit for two reasons: 1) make sure they have enough food and 2) So I know what I'm getting into. I am very active on another forum. So active that they made me a moderator. I try to help everybody I can. As a result, I get invited by many candidates to come to their lodge and their degrees. One lodge I went to has a professional caterer and if I had not made a dinner reservation I would have gone hungry. Another lodge I was invited to had a dinner that would have cost me $50- (way beyond my budget) So I didn't go.
Off topic- A moderator on another forum? Hmmm... I wonder why you participate so much there, and not so much here? You dont have to answer that if you dont want to. Lol

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Off topic- A moderator on another forum? Hmmm... I wonder why you participate so much there, and not so much here? You dont have to answer that if you dont want to. Lol

I just checked my post count: 1,031. I'm such a slacker around here :rolleyes:

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Lol!!! No you arent a slacker. Im just ribbing you in good fun Brother. Your contributions are appreciated here.
John, we enjoy your "slacking" both here and on the other forum. You can use names, we know which forum it is!!

I I appreciate the ribbing, guys. It's a good natured thing brothers do. If I were offended, I would have used a different emoticon

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
$50 freaking bucks for a meal !?!? Are they high ? I want some of what they are smoking .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
$50 freaking bucks for a meal !?!? Are they high ? I want some of what they are smoking .

Actually, the explanation was that not only was I getting shrimp and steak but all the booze I could drink after the meeting. By the way, the lodge meets in our Grand Lodge building. Sounds more like a Shrine event to me :D

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Actually, the explanation was that not only was I getting shrimp and steak but all the booze I could drink after the meeting. By the way, the lodge meets in our Grand Lodge building. Sounds more like a Shrine event to me :D

What if you did not want to partake of the spirits , would it have still been $50 I wonder ? I , for one , am not paying $50 for a steak and some shrimp .

cemab4y

I have visited lodges in 14 states, WashDC, and five foreign countries. I have never had a problem with any lodge anywhere. I just show up, and I am always welcome. It is considered good form, to arrive about 30 mins or so, prior to the opening time, if you need to be examined.

The only lodge I have ever heard of which actually requires advance notification to visit, is the Lodge of the Nine Muses, in Washington DC.