Wet Shaving

DavisB

I started wet shaving about a month ago and so far I really like it. I have found that, in a similar way to Ashlar with his coloring, it really calms me down. Which is very good because I have had some pretty bad anxiety due to stress sense the start of my senior year of high school.

For anyone who doesn't know, Wet shaving involves mixing your own lather for shaving instead of using a foam or gel from the store. I do so with a creme from Taylor of Old Bond Street, a badger brush, and a soup bowl for the lather. I also use a Merkur double edged safety razor for shaving. Lots of nicks at first but I have gotten the technique down now and I really like it. Plus I get get about 100 blades for my DE razor for the price of 8 cartridges for my Fusion. I always hated spending so much money on those.

Any body else wet shave?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I used to. But I've been growing my beard so I haven't shaved since around April. That was for a wedding I was in. Before that the last shave was about a year ago.

Get a styptic pen. A good one. Those little q-tip style ones most grocery stores sell are crap. I ended up even sticking a few in the vehicles for emergencies.

DavisB

I used to. But I've been growing my beard so I haven't shaved since around April. That was for a wedding I was in. Before that the last shave was about a year ago.

Get a styptic pen. A good one. Those little q-tip style ones most grocery stores sell are crap. I ended up even sticking a few in the vehicles for emergencies.
I have been using something called "my nik is sealed" and it has been working really well so far.

G

Gary

I have been using something called "my nik is sealed" and it has been working really well so far.
Where do you guys find the styptic pens or the my nik is sealed? The q tip style pen is all I can find locally. I used to wet shave years ago. My grand father introduced me to it. With the economy in the crapper, I may just revisit it.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
It is the only way I will shave . I dislike shaving gels and foams .

Gary , surprisingly , I found my styptic pencil at Wal-Mart . Those things last forever .

DavisB

Where do you guys find the styptic pens or the my nik is sealed? The q tip style pen is all I can find locally. I used to wet shave years ago. My grand father introduced me to it. With the economy in the crapper, I may just revisit it.
I found my stuff on Amazon.

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
Gotcha beat on price...........

I bought 100 blades for less than what I was paying for 4 of the Fusion cartridge blades. I also bought a new Parker 99r as well as a 1965 Gillette Super Speed. I prefer the Gillette, the Parker takes some getting used to.

I'm probably going to add a Merkur, but I also have my eye on a Muhle and an Edwin Jagger razor. (Luckily the holidays are only a few months away!)

I got into wetshaving to save money, but it really has become a bit of a hobby. Finding the right razor/blade/cream/soap. :) There really is something addictive about it.

So far I have tried Van Der Hagen soap, Proraso cream and some Mama Bear mentholated soaps. I've liked them all for different reasons....I can see why people rotate on a daily basis. I also tried Arko, which lathered great and gave a great shave, BUT I had a horrible reaction to it. I looked like I had measles.

I'll stick with the others, but I admit to wanting to try some others like Tabac and Taylor of Old Bond Street

DavisB

I tried Proraso first but i didn't like the way it lathered all that much. I switched to a sandalwood creme by Taylor of Old Bond Street (from Amazon) and I love it. It lathers great and has a good sent that doesn't last too long.

Weekend wet shaver here. No time in the morning.

Feather blades
Gillette Fat Boy razor
TOBS shaving cream
Rooney Pure Badger brush

I used to take the time to wet shave every day, but 445 is a wee bit early to go through all that. The new Gillette ProGlide series do a fair job during the week.

jaya

I use a 1964 Gillette Slim adjustable DE razor. I also use a silvertip badger brush with various soaps and creams. Not a bad thing at all. I do love going and having a straight shave every now and then from a barber as well.

2SONDAD

Nope.

I enjoy shaving too much. Yes, hard to believe. I hated it until I started wet shaving and now it makes it really enjoyable. Kind of curious though, for those wet shavers out there- any favorite aftershaves?

MWS

I've been an avid wet shaver for years. What can I say, I'm a sucker for rituals! Started with a DE and have moved on to straights. Something about 30 minutes to myself in the mornings with a bowl of hot lather and a sharp blade...it can be very "zen" like.

There are many online shops and forums (badger and blade, straight razor place to name a few) to help you get the most out of the hobby...enjoy your journey and keep us posted!

FF Sparky

The one thing I have noticed lately in Lodge is the many different ways of having facial hair. The different mustaches, goatees, beards, and what not. I don't know, it just caught my interest for a couple minutes....lol

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
A different county heard from: I have worn a goatee for many, many years and will continue to do so for many, many years more. The grain of my beard is crazy. It goes every which way. As a result, I have NEVER been able to get a decent shave with a straight razor. Even when used by a professional. However, I've found that electric razors (which can be used in a circular pattern) clean my face quite adequately. Smooth as the proverbial baby's bottom! I do not use aftershave, either.

While I miss shaving with a safety razor sometimes (a safety razor can also give me an adequate shave), I find that the freedom from aftershaves, colognes, and styptic pencils more than makes up for the ritual of shaving with a blade.

2SONDAD

I realize this is an old thread but.......I bought a long handled Merkur razor and switched to Taylor of Old Bond Street shave cream. All I can say is "wow". It made a huge difference and brought shaving to a whole different level for me. Why am I excited about shaving now? Well, I suffered for years from ingrown hairs- sometimes requiring trips to the dermatologist for cortisone injections. Now I have none.