What Makes A Hero?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
What does it take from someone for you to call them a hero? Is it achievement, courage, perseverance? It seems like the word gets used everywhere these days, especially in sports. Every weekend we hear about the heroes of the games, but what is a real hero?

Jccze

that is a tough question... on one hand it is pure opinion ..like fathers mothers friend ..someone significant...then on the other hand it is more of a given firefighters ,soldiers, historical people like rosa parks , martin luther king, etc...but then again i guess that would be an opinion as well ....sorry i guess that was just a wasted reply....

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
a hero (in my opinion) is a frivalous title granted to someone who did something that a person felt was heroic or exceptional / beyond man. I feel that the unsung hero(s) of course are our nations finest, all branches of the military (who keep us safe, and allow us this freedom to write this the way we want) the firefighters and police officers and emergency services who risk their own lives to protect and serve a population that does not know them. Hero(s) of the family are those who have had the greatest impact on our lives, and have led us in the right direction. Hero(s) of the fraternity are the same as family, those who have had the greatest impact on our "masonic" lives. A hero to me is anyone who puts themselves in harms way to assist and aide those who are in need, want, or otherwise unable to help themselves. The true hero is also the very first one to say, "I just wanted to help", or "it's just part of my job", or even worse is those you never get to say thank you to at all. THANK YOU to all of the brave men and women of the United States military who have, are, and will be serving to protect my freedom and ability to say what I want, you are my hero. After that I will end by saying of course "That is just my opinion"

ncjwr

U.S. military and emergency service workers are the first to come to mind when i think of the word hero. i could not have any higher respect for our soldiers and the wonderful job they do. we would not be the country we are without them.

i believe there are also so many people out in the world that perform different kinds of heroic acts. i come across this in my line of work every day with parents of disabled children. it may be thier job...but it is one of the hardest, and most honorable, i have ever encountered.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Hero

IMO a hero is a person who does what he doesn't really want to do, for the good of others.

I don't know what Dad did in the Navy in WWII, but after he left an industry after 17 years to go into sales in the same field, I happened to ask him about how he'd liked working at that plant.
He said he'd hated it.
I expressed disbelief. He'd worked there 17 years!
He said he had to. He couldn't take the chance on leaving until I (the youngest) was nearly out of high school.
Heros are among us, every day.