What Rowan Williams really dislikes about Freemasonry

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Why is Rowan Williams suspicious of Freemasonry? For the same reason, surely, that almost everyone else is: it is a secretive society with links to mystical gobbledegook that may or may not have a whiff of Satanism. A Christian leader should be particularly careful not to be associated with such stuff, for he wants the Christian faith to seem open, accessible, reasonable – utterly distinct from such cloak-and-dagger Harry Potter stuff.

Well, yes, but there is actually another dimension to Williams' aversion, which is somewhat counter-intuitive. Freemasonry may have links with ancient magic, but it also has links with modern reason. I think that this is what Williams really dislikes about it. Not the funny handshakes and creepy initiation ceremony, but the implicit claim that the rationalist God of the Enlightenment is an improvement on the limited Christian one.

In the 18th century, Freemasonry spread among middle-class men who felt that religion should modernise; it should be about rational moral progress, and it should unite people rather than keep old divisions alive. And it especially appealed to those who felt that rationalism was in danger of looking dull, mechanical, soulless. So it needed spicing up with an aura of mystery, and some cod ancient history, and some ritual. It often had a strong anti-Catholic bent; it was a secularisation of the liberal Protestant hatred of Church power

more What Rowan Williams really dislikes about Freemasonry | Theo Hobson | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

G

Gary

He obviously doesn't understand the allegory and foundation of his own religion. I liked him better when he played Mr. Bean the mute. :rolleyes:

johnj1582

lol that was Rowan Atkinson, though I made that mistake at first too. Rowan Williams is the Archbishop of Canterbury.

G

Gary

lol that was Rowan Atkinson, though I made that mistake at first too. Rowan Williams is the Archbishop of Canterbury.
DOH! :p:D:eek:

LOL I stand corrected! It was early, and I obviously didn't pay attention to the last name.