What to say and what not to say

topdown09

As a new mason i often get asked the question"What do ya'll do and what do I have to do to become one.. sometimes after giving the basic answers i hav had folk continue to press and me being new i was courious in some Ideas on how to get past this w/o saying to much.... also what is 2 much i know modes of recignition are a non no but beyond that im not sure if there are other things i should keep amoung Brethren!????

As a new mason i often get asked the question"What do ya'll do and what do I have to do to become one.. sometimes after giving the basic answers i hav had folk continue to press and me being new i was courious in some Ideas on how to get past this w/o saying to much.... also what is 2 much i know modes of recignition are a non no but beyond that im not sure if there are other things i should keep amoung Brethren!????
I wish I had the "problem" of often being asked these questions. Speak from your heart. Tell them what masonry means to you. I don't think there's a good "elevator speech". As long as you stay away from the details of the ritual and the grips/passes, you should be able to speak very freely. Good luck!

G

Gary

First off, are you a Master Mason? What did your obligation teach you?

When in doubt, refer the person to someone who can better answer their questions and keep quiet. ;)

topdown09

yes i am a MM as of june 2010i do remeber my obligation i just wasent sure how far that steated into what we do.... Mdonahue66 your reply helps!

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I wish I had the "problem" of often being asked these questions. Speak from your heart. Tell them what masonry means to you. I don't think there's a good "elevator speech". As long as you stay away from the details of the ritual and the grips/passes, you should be able to speak very freely. Good luck!
First off, are you a Master Mason? What did your obligation teach you?

When in doubt, refer the person to someone who can better answer their questions and keep quiet. ;)
And there you have both sides of this question :)

Unfortunately, what's acceptable to one Mason would be offensive to another. So, in reality answer number two is the best one. I checked at LOI and was told "just keep it general and mind you Obligation." When I pressed, they agreed that only the means of recognition and the details of ritual must be kept secret.

G

Gary

Unfortunately, what's acceptable to one Mason would be offensive to another. So, in reality answer number two is the best one. I checked at LOI and was told "just keep it general and mind you Obligation." When I pressed, they agreed that only the means of recognition and the details of ritual must be kept secret.
That's what I was getting at with my response. I don't have a problem discussing Freemasonry. The symbols aren't secret, who we are and what we do isn't secret. The modes of recognition, ritual, etc... are.

My point was, if you aren't sure what to say, then it's better to point the person in the direction of someone qualified to answer. There are some who will talk for the sake of talking. We should avoid that as a rule and practice.

pdh825

Master Mason
Bro. topdown, I would not only direct you back to your EA obligation, but also to the book Freemasonry for Dummies by (Ill.)Bro. Chris Hodap and the Complete Idiots Guide to Freemasonry by Ill. Bro. S. Brent Morris. If it is discussed in either of those places, you should be ok discussing it.

Just my .02 worth.

Well, we all have our opinions, and I go out of my way to respect them all. With that being said, I stand by my statement. We all joined this fraternity for a reason, and many of our reasons may be different. But, I would hope, all master masons would have, within their hearts, something special that the fraternity means to them, something they can articulate and help to enlighten a non-mason, (I really dislike the word profane) and why they hold that something close. While we must all take our obligations, our masonic constitutions and codes, and the opinions of our brothers seriously, we must also remember that we were all taught that the most useful tenets of our institution are friendship, morality, and brotherly love, not secrecy, masonic education, and ritual. I know that many of the members of this forum take the latter three very seriously, as do I, but they are not the reasons most masons became masons.
Respectfully submitted,
Mike