Where did The Freemasons go?

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
The Grand Master of Freemasons Victoria, Vaughan Werner has been a Freemason for 48 years and thinks it has a lot to offer someone in the 21st Century.
As long as you aren't female or an atheist, then maybe you should look elsewhere.

Vaughn was Assistant Commissioner to Police in Victoria and says it helped him with a difficult job at many difficult times.
According to him Freemasonry won't be taking over the world, but they won't be dying out either.
Whatever happened to The Freemasons will screen 10pm Sunday night on ABC TV

Where did The Freemasons go? - ABC Newcastle NSW - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Winter

I've been here before
I agree, but 'MAYBE'? Only if you are in Europe.
Why only in Europe? Nowhere in the world can a woman or an atheist be made a Freemason. Nothing against them, I know some outstanding individuals who are avowed atheists. And even a few women. ;) But it's just not possible.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
That is awesome! I love that.
Why only in Europe? Nowhere in the world can a woman or an atheist be made a Freemason. Nothing against them, I know some outstanding individuals who are avowed atheists. And even a few women. ;) But it's just not possible.
We have a female WM (perhaps PM by now) on this forum, so there are atheist and female Masons in the world, your and my OBs has more than a few restrictions about our interactions with them and our involvement with their I/P/R, but they still exist, in clandestine lodges.

Winter

I've been here before
And I am sure she is a wonderful person. I don't know, having never spoken with her. And unfortunately I cannot.

But the fact remains, a woman or an atheist cannot be made a Mason. It does not matter what they call themselves, they are not Freemasons. That's just the way it is. And I won't bend on the matter. Not saying they are not great people who do many outstanding things.

CoachN

Builder Builder
What are facts to some are viewed and taken as fantasies by others. This argument is old, crusty and is supported by opinions that have more to do with personal values and alliances than anything else.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
At this time the GL that I have sworn to uphold the L/R/etc, does nor recognize several types of people for I/P/R n or discussing the secrets of Mason with, sitting in a clandestine lodge, so it is a mote point, however should that stance change, I will welcome the newly 'found' FMs as I welcome any other MM/FC/EA, based upon their membership in Freemasonry, not upon any external manifestations. Until old men, young men, and women need not apply in my GL.

FF Sparky

Is it in France? that you can be athiest or female to join? Grand Orient I believe. Am I right or wrong. Are they considered clandestined? I think I read about it in 'Freemasonry for Dummies'. Will have to double check.

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
This argument is old, crusty and is supported by opinions that have more to do with personal values and alliances than anything else.
Are you referring to the argument that women cannot become Freemasons? Or that Brother Winter, along with more than a few others, do not recognize clandestine lodges as actual Freemasonry?

Winter

I've been here before
Are you referring to the argument that women cannot become Freemasons? Or that Brother Winter, along with more than a few others, do not recognize clandestine lodges as actual Freemasonry?
You say that like it's a bad thing.

G

Gary

Funny (odd) thing about that argument. We are bound to the decisions of others, but it doesn't mean we have to agree with it.

As free thinkers, it makes me wonder how free we actually are when others make the rules for our particular jurisdictions. Let's face the facts. He who has the most money gets to the GL. Therefore, his particular biases or agendas are very likely made into masonic law. That does not equal free thinking for the whole of the fraternity. Politics is what it equates to.

I agree with some decisions, others I don't. Do I have to follow the rules laid out for my jurisdiction? Yup.

CoachN

Builder Builder
... We are bound to the decisions of others, ...
Only if you want to continue associating with them.
As free thinkers, it makes me wonder how free we actually are when others make the rules for our particular jurisdictions.
Freedom and Liberty are not synonymous. You are free; you cannot take liberties unaccepted by the group with which you associate.
... Do I have to follow the rules laid out for my jurisdiction? Yup.
Nope. You do not have to; you choose to.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Only if you want to continue associating with them.

Freedom and Liberty are not synonymous. You are free; you cannot take liberties unaccepted by the group with which you associate.

Nope. You do not have to; you choose to.
RABBLE ROUSER!

:p