Who can best work, and best agree?

G

Gary

Lately, I've noticed quite a bit of disagreement among Brothers fraternity wide that has caused either great contention or a total breakdown of a harmonious discussion.

It leads to either a Brother's Demit from a Lodge or Forum, or it dismantles the cohesiveness of a group that was once fruitful in their endeavor to work together. This saddens me greatly.

Are we not Brothers regardless of our opinions? Are we not Mason's bound by our obligations? More especially the MM degree?

Where have we failed as a fraternity to support this venerable institution and prevent such things from happening?

Zack

Where have we failed as a fraternity to support this venerable institution and prevent such things from happening?
I believe it to be a matter of NOT being able or desirous of putting principles before personalities.

I also "plead guilty" to the above.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
From my point of view, we, as Freemasons, agree to disagree. We are not all alike, that is the strength of the fraternity, our diversity.

There are some who have not subdued their passions adequately to separate their personal opinions of that diversity from their obligation to support their Brothers.

That said, rather than realize that they lack that maturity as a Freemason and using the experience to grow, they run away by demitting from the thing that would help them most, Brothers who are willing to help them gain more knowledge and thereby more tolerance.

G

Gary

I would like to believe that every Brother is able. Desirous? maybe not. That would lead me to the conclusion that we as builders need to remember to review that which we have learned and apply it regardless of our ego. Easier said than done. I know that from personal experience.

Again, reality is what it is... but I myself find even our disagreements cause for me to reflect upon my inner self and use it for a positive outcome. But then, I'm purposefully looking for ways to improve myself in Masonry on a constant basis.

You guilty? Ha! I obviously view you in a different light than you see yourself my Brother. The fact that you would admit such a thing speaks volumes.

We are all guilty at one point or another, but the question really is; what are we going to do about it!

G

Gary

From my point of view, we, as Freemasons, agree to disagree. We are not all alike, that is the strength of the fraternity, our diversity.

There are some who have not subdued their passions adequately to separate their personal opinions of that diversity from their obligation to support their Brothers.

That said, rather than realize that they lack that maturity as a Freemason and using the experience to grow, they run away by demitting from the thing that would help them most, Brothers who are willing to help them gain more knowledge and thereby more tolerance.
Where is the "like" button on this forum?

I don't know if it's necessarily a "running away" thing, or if it's just an avoidance of conflict. Regardless it takes two to tango. Each and every one of us has something to offer. Whether we use it in a constructive manner is another thing entirely.

Brother Nagy posted a comment on another thread that pretty much sums it up I guess... When your work is done, move on. No need to damage the building you've created.

I guess I just hate to see things like this happen because we can always learn something from each other if we are open minded enough to receive it.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Where is the "like" button on this forum?

I don't know if it's necessarily a "running away" thing, or if it's just an avoidance of conflict. Regardless it takes two to tango. Each and every one of us has something to offer. Whether we use it in a constructive manner is another thing entirely.

Brother Nagy posted a comment on another thread that pretty much sums it up I guess... When your work is done, move on. No need to damage the building you've created.

I guess I just hate to see things like this happen because we can always learn something from each other if we are open minded enough to receive it.
As a former 'runner' aka conflict avoider (my wife says its genetic in my family), I have to properly control my gnetic disposition, urges, passoins, and desires to be able to stand up and be counted, so I feel for the Brothers who have not discovered the balance.

G

Gary

As a former 'runner' aka conflict avoider (my wife says its genetic in my family), I have to properly control my genetic disposition, urges, passoins, and desires to be able to stand up and be counted, so I feel for the Brothers who have not discovered the balance.
It may also be in some situations, that the Brother(s) has already discovered this balance and recognized that something needs or needed to be done to preserve harmony for the whole, and took the option to diffuse a situation before it got out of hand. They have essentially moved on to work in a environment more suitable for them.

Sometimes in our "selective" fraternity, we have some that feel the sun shines on them just a little brighter....the "EGO"....is the hardest passion to subdue......sad thing is, those with inflated egos are really weaker individuals that want to keep others below them in an effort to not disclose their own inabilities or weaknesses.....

Winter

I've been here before
Some Brothers are unable to overcome differences. Some that I have seen were warranted while others were not. And sometimes the wisest course of action is just to stay away from each other. Unfortunately, sometimes this means that a Brother leaves the Lodge if they feel the conflict or the potential for it is unavoidable.

Many of you have hit the nail on the head that we should always try to help any Brothers out that may be having difficulties.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Some Brothers are unable to overcome differences. Some that I have seen were warranted while others were not. And sometimes the wisest course of action is just to stay away from each other. Unfortunately, sometimes this means that a Brother leaves the Lodge if they feel the conflict or the potential for it is unavoidable.

Many of you have hit the nail on the head that we should always try to help any Brothers out that may be having difficulties.
There's an other issue I've been seeing lately in my Lodge, the economy. Brethren who would like to be active get layed off, can't afford to pay the dues and allow their membership to lapse without contacting anybody out of shame.

I talked with a Brother in that circumstance last week. I encouraged him to talk with the secretary and even offered to do the talking for him. An other Brother just got fired through no fault of his and is pursuing legal remedies. Attending Lodge is the last thing on his mind.

I'm reaching out to these guys. When they say they don't need anything, I ask them if positions were reverse would they want to help me out? Since the answer is always, "yes", I ask them to allow me to help them. I've been out of work. I've been in debt. Each of us has been through the rite of destitution. If I can't help my brother why am I a Mason?

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
My wife gets on to me because of my nonchalant , easy going attitude to things that should get me upset . A person (or Brother) could be bad mouthing me and I can care less , if they are running me down , then they are leaving someone else alone .

I used to be extremely hot tempered to the point of becoming violent , those days are now long gone mostly for two reasons , my wife and Freemasonry . Are there Brothers I dislike ? There sure are , we are human after all . But I would still help them if they were in need . I simply ignore them , I will shake their hands and be cordial to them in lodge if need be , and allow them to do their own thing .

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
My wife gets on to me because of my nonchalant , easy going attitude to things that should get me upset . A person (or Brother) could be bad mouthing me and I can care less , if they are running me down , then they are leaving someone else alone .

I used to be extremely hot tempered to the point of becoming violent , those days are now long gone mostly for two reasons , my wife and Freemasonry . Are there Brothers I dislike ? There sure are , we are human after all . But I would still help them if they were in need . I simply ignore them , I will shake their hands and be cordial to them in lodge if need be , and allow them to do their own thing .
I am a rather large man and a brother from another lodge decided to try to hang a nickname on me. He started calling me "brother Mongo". Well, after a couple of evenings of this, He comes up to me, puts out his hand and says, "Hi brother Mongo." To which I replied, "Hi brother A**hole." He backed away with a look of shock on his face so I continued with, "Oh, didn't you know that's what all the guys call you?" He now greets me with my name.