Why I decided not to wear a ring...

G

Gary

Warning- This is a rambling of my personal opinion about my personal path in Freemasonry. It in no way suggests that I feel this way regarding other Masons.

I decided not to wear any form of Masonic ring at this point in my life.

Don't get me wrong, I love rings. I just don't feel that I'm at the point where I've "mastered" anything regarding Freemasonry enough to warrant a display of such a designation. I don't need a pin to prove my self importance to anyone either.

It's funny. Before I was raised I couldn't wait to get one. Heck, even my wife wants me to have one. Then I began to really study Freemasonry and what work in entails. Then I realized that three simple degrees don't make you a "Master" Mason any more than the ring does. It's the work that you do during, between, and after taking those degrees that allows you to master your craft.

Yes I've been raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason... but for me, I like to simply think of myself as a Fellow of the Craft. I've still got work to do.

harley1

Gary,
I feel the same way at times. Especially when I am in the company of some of our older brethren. However, I feel that once we have been raised to the sublime degree of MM that we are in fact Master Masons and worthy to wear a ring if we chose. If not now, at which point in our search for more light should we feel comfortable to wear a ring, shirt, hat ect? We should always search for more light, and our knowledge of the craft will grow over our lifetime.

Just a thought.

I dont believe Brother Gary feels he isnt entitled to wear a ring.....I believe it is more of just a public expression of his feelings about our journey.....

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Sidebar: I see the 3 obligations I have taken as additive not exclusive, I am an EA, and a FC, and a MM. I review my catachisms for all three degrees and I am helping a new EA with his catachism for his degree.

DavisB

Very good point Brother Gary. I guess I think about the ring differently. I think of it not as saying that I have accomplished all I set out to, or for that matter anything beyond some memorization, but as a badge that I am forever searching for more light. It is a outward sign of what I have committed to be and become. Also it serves as a reminded to myself of what I have committed to and how I should be acting. I would like to think that I don't need a constant reminder of how I should be acting, but I seem to catch myself more and more.

G

Gary

Brothers,

You have all made valid points. I thank you for your insight. Fireman was correct in his statement.

Sometimes during this journey I find myself going through peaks and valleys regarding my feelings about certain things. I often find it helpful to put these sorts of things out there for the sake of discussion, and to help me process.

Interestingly enough, it seems that I'm not alone! I really appreciate the different perspective.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Brothers,

You have all made valid points. I thank you for your insight. Fireman was correct in his statement.

Sometimes during this journey I find myself going through peaks and valleys regarding my feelings about certain things. I often find it helpful to put these sorts of things out there for the sake of discussion, and to help me process.

Interestingly enough, it seems that I'm not alone! I really appreciate the different perspective.
I put on my ring in the morning, I look at the direction of the Compasses and make their direction, towards the world or towards me, a deliberate, conscience effort of how to direct my FM work for the day. Since the ring is right there all day I get re-enforcement. (I used to draw the S&C on the sole of my right thumb before I was Raised)

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I've found wearing a ring to be an invitation to other masons to share their light with me, too. I've learned more because I wear a ring than I would have if I didn't. The best part of wearing the ring is that you meet the best men you ever will have as friends.

G

Gary

I get that it can promote conversation. I guess my point is that, I don't lack the resources for conversation with other Masons. My issue with the symbol is internal.

While I certainly agree that much light can be shared between two brothers, The light received isn't the work. It's actually the instruction.

I'm taking the instruction, and working on applying it to my life. The caveat for me is that internally I don't feel that I'm worthy to wear such an item at the moment. I'm my own worst critic. It's not a self esteem issue at all. I'm proud to say that I'm a Mason and also proud to hold an position in the Lodge line.

I just feel that the best way for me to display that I'm a Freemason is by my character and deeds.

I'm divesting myself of vices and superfluities. In doing so, I've identified a necessity to refrain from drawing attention to my outward appearance. It's what's inside that counts.

Call me crazy, but it is what it is.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I know many Brothers who do not wear rings or any other emblems , even one brother who has been in for 60 years . His reasoning being that the world does not need to know he is a Mason , only he does and act accordingly as such .

G

Gary

I know many Brothers who do not wear rings or any other emblems , even one brother who has been in for 60 years . His reasoning being that the world does not need to know he is a Mason , only he does and act accordingly as such .
I don't plan on not ever wearing a ring. Some time in the future, I probably will get one. Although, it is nice to know that I'm not crazy in my thought process!

Brother Gary....let me throw you a curve ball here..... not having a ring on may prevent a Brother you do not know, from gaining some valued knowledge just because he doesnt know you are a Brother too....

G

Gary

Hmmm....

Interesting point...but...I would reply, that if the brother is not known to me, then I wouldn't divulge anything of signifigance anyway. I'd simply be leading by example through my actions. Just because I see someone wearing a ring or whatever, doesn't mean I'm going to talk to them in-depth about Freemasonry.

I'm not opposed to identifying myself as a Freemason, I said that I have difficulty wearing a ring as a badge of honor. I'd wear my lodge shirt in public for example.

I know, your going to ask me what is the difference between a ring and a shirt now aren't ya... :D

DavisB

Hmmm....

Interesting point...but...I would reply, that if the brother is not known to me, then I wouldn't divulge anything of signifigance anyway. I'd simply be leading by example through my actions. Just because I see someone wearing a ring or whatever, doesn't mean I'm going to talk to them in-depth about Freemasonry.

I'm not opposed to identifying myself as a Freemason, I said that I have difficulty wearing a ring as a badge of honor. I'd wear my lodge shirt in public for example.

I know, your going to ask me what is the difference between a ring and a shirt now aren't ya... :D
yes ;) and now its over 10 characters.

G

Gary

The difference (to me anyways) is that the shirt Identifies me as a Mason belonging to a Lodge.

The ring on the other hand (pardon the pun) signifies a Master Mason. The shirt I take off when I'm not doing a lodge related function. The ring would generally be worn all of the time.

Again, it's not so much about advertising that I'm a Mason as much as it is about divesting myself of a superfluity that I've identified.

Valid points.....I see nothing wrong in your thoughts on a ring.... I know plenty of Brothers that dont for various reasons. I take mine off when at work for safety reasons and at home when I sleep or if it is really hot outside...it is not what makes me who I am..... A ring should mean more than just a small sign on your finger.....

G

Gary

Exactly. The ring represents more than a trivial trinket of jewelry. My problem with it is that I've earned every badge I've ever worn.

I just feel odd wearing this one knowing I'm not where I'd like to be along my journey.

Come on Brother...you just like being the Jimmy Dean of Masonary.... LOL....a rebel without a sausage...

Seriously..... I do applaud you for stand by your convictions.....

I don't wear mine often, because I'm not a jewelry kind of guy. But I'm proud to be a Mason, and seeing that S&C when I am wearing it makes me feel good! How about this.....wear it as a reminder of the work that still needs completion, not a badge of that which is done/???