Why

In teaching Masonic Ed, why is allegory and symbolism used? I only ask because with either it leave so much for interpretation and what one teaches may be totally different from another......
Would it not be so much easier to put the lessons in plain words so as to relay exactly what is meant?

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I don't believe he is, but I don't speak for Bro. Coach. To me his words are implying that Masonry is a moral science and moral teachings are a huge part of religion.

Now my answer to this topic...

The same reason we use symbols for traffic, technology, and many other things. A symbol is able to hold meaning and convey it at an instance of recognition. I am not a member of any Eastern religion practices but when I see a ying-yang I'm reminded of the duality of man and life, and the same with the checkered pavement and so forth. Plus when trying to commit things to memory what's important or needs a deeper look stands out. I have that issue when memorizing something for Lodge that is in plain text vs the cipher portions of my book.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
You have to remember, when it all started the majority of the population could not read or write. Symbols were much easier to teach.

There are some other reasons, I am sure, but I have not had my coffee and thoughts are cloudy.

FF Sparky

It also make the degrees alot shorter. Considering each symbol does have multiple meanings you would have to have multiple explainations. look up just one symbol in the internet and you will find paragraphs or pages on just the one. or you can write a sentence then educate on the meanings

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
No.... but I will ask... Are you implying Masonry is a faith?
Seriously? Somebody needs to slap you. :eek:

To eliminate allegory and symbolism from Masonic education is the equivalent to giving a test with the correct answers filled in. Where is the discourse, study, and reflection when the answers are plainly given?

CoachN

Builder Builder
No.... but I will ask... Are you implying Masonry is a faith?
Well, if I were, then I'd have to imply that Theology, Philosophy, Politics, Religion and the 7LAs&Ss are too, which I am not. The fact is, Allegories and Symbols have Used men from His beginning. And in that Use, we are both enriched and enslaved.
I don't believe he is, but I don't speak for Bro. Coach. To me his words are implying that Masonry is a moral science and moral teachings are a huge part of religion.

Now my answer to this topic...

The same reason we use symbols for traffic, technology, and many other things. A symbol is able to hold meaning and convey it at an instance of recognition. I am not a member of any Eastern religion practices but when I see a ying-yang I'm reminded of the duality of man and life, and the same with the checkered pavement and so forth. Plus when trying to commit things to memory what's important or needs a deeper look stands out. I have that issue when memorizing something for Lodge that is in plain text vs the cipher portions of my book.
Yup.
You have to remember, when it all started the majority of the population could not read or write. Symbols were much easier to teach.

There are some other reasons, I am sure, but I have not had my coffee and thoughts are cloudy.
Yup.
It also make the degrees alot shorter. Considering each symbol does have multiple meanings you would have to have multiple explainations. look up just one symbol in the internet and you will find paragraphs or pages on just the one. or you can write a sentence then educate on the meanings
Yup.
Seriously? Somebody needs to slap you. :eek:

To eliminate allegory and symbolism from Masonic education is the equivalent to giving a test with the correct answers filled in. Where is the discourse, study, and reflection when the answers are plainly given?
Yup. :D

Sure makes ya think, doesn't it? ;)

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Other than the slapping part LOL , Bro. Gary is in my head .

The use of Symbols and allegory leads us to study deeper , to think about and ponder on Masonry . This is why Masonry is a life long study . If the answers were given to us , we would not have so many wonderful tomes to pour through and find those wonderful "AHA" moments .

Though it has essentially been said by Brother Gary, I will add my thoughts.

Masonry, and life in general, is not about the destination but rather the journey. Seeing something or being taught something allows you to receive information. Information does not equal knowledge. Masonry is taught through symbolism and allegory because it forces those who truly seek to understand to study and reflect. It isn’t a book of secrets that lists out all of the wisdom of the ages in clear and legible print. It is a map that, when properly applied, will guide you to the place where the knowledge is found. I have also found that much of what I learn in Masonry is not new to me. However, I find that through study of the ritual and symbolism I am forced to reflect upon many virtues and tenets in a much deeper context and therefore find myself applying it much more efficiently in life. Hearing that a point within a circle represents a Brother surrounded by a boundary, guided by the VSL and flanked by two Saints does not do much for me. To dig in to where the circle came from…understand what it means…and where it can be found causes a noticeable change in my behavior….it is about the study....those are my thoughts 

Your Brother,

Jason

FF Sparky

I find that through study of the ritual and symbolism I am forced to reflect upon many VIRTUES and tenets in a much deeper context and therefore find myself applying it much more efficiently in life. 

Your Brother,

Jason
Exactly, name 7 virtues and explanations and you now have a whole new chapter

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
In teaching Masonic Ed, why is allegory and symbolism used? I only ask because with either it leave so much for interpretation and what one teaches may be totally different from another......
Would it not be so much easier to put the lessons in plain words so as to relay exactly what is meant?
We will value that more if we have some 'sweat equity' in it.

S&F

CoachN

Builder Builder
Allegory invites different thinking that benefits those who partake in it beyond the doubtful shadows.

For the sake of the discussion.... lets not include ritual work.... just comment on after one has completed the degrees and is now looking more into M/E

PS...for those that do not know me, I tend to ask open ended questions not because I disagree..... but as a tool for discussions...it is interesting to read what others think of a topic.

CoachN

Builder Builder
So, it is meant to be open ended to allow each to come to their own conclusions.
One will always come to one's own conclusions. There is no allowance one is afforded by others in this; it simply occurs naturally. The key though is whether that conclusion bring about greater understanding of reality's nature or greater delusion of nature's reality.

One will always come to one's own conclusions. There is no allowance one is afforded by others in this; it simply occurs naturally. The key though is whether that conclusion bring about greater understanding of reality's nature or greater delusion of nature's reality.
Couldnt ones understanding of reality's nature be anothers delusions of nature's reality and vice versa?

How do we differentiate between understanding and delusions when two people can look at the same thing and come up with different conclusions?

CoachN

Builder Builder
Couldnt ones understanding of reality's nature be anothers delusions of nature's reality and vice versa?

How do we differentiate between understanding and delusions when two people can look at the same thing and come up with different conclusions?
You'll know which is which when one stops breathing due to delusional conclusions and the other one is forced to bury the body due to the overwhelming odor and health concerns.