Wiccans in Masonry

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
This came up the other night at LOI. The DDGM was giving a really good talk about the responsibilities of being on an investigation committee. One of the more senior men in the room stood up and informed us that he had been on an investigative committee that disqualified a man based on the fact that he was a Wiccan.

I live in the next town from Salem, Mass. and know quite a few Wiccans. So I raised my hand, was recognized and asked why a Wiccan would not qualify to become a Mason. The DDGM answered because they are polytheists and we require a monotheistic belief system. I explained that most Wiccans believe in a large number of "Spirits" who were the equivalent of "Saints" but the top level of their beliefs are in a God and Goddess who are aspects of a single Deity. This didn't have the desired effect, so I asked the DDGM if a man who believed in three gods and practiced ritual cannibalism as part of his worship service would be acceptable to the Craft. He said, of course not. I then suggested that he confiscate all the dues cards of the Christians in the room. At this point, the guest speaker, a Past Master from England, Stood up and said, "He's right, Christians are Trinitarians and I'm a Unitarian."

I went on to explain that my point was that from an outsider's perspective just scratching the surface of any man's beliefs can lead to wrong and harmful conclusions. We should take a careful look at any important aspect of a man's character and beliefs before making snap judgments or we are no better than the tin foil hat crowd who misunderstand and misquote us.

I have since found numerous references to Wicca being recognized as a Religion by the US Government including burial of Wiccan Service Personnel in Arlington National Cemetery with the symbol of their faith on the headstone. I also found references and discussion supporting Wiccans in Masonry on several other well respected web sites including Grand Lodge. I passed these all along to the DDGM.

I met with my Minister about this issue and she not only confirmed my beliefs about Wicca but offered to meet with the DDGM or anyone else to explain their belief system.

Your views, Brethren?

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
[snip]
I met with my Minister about this issue and she not only confirmed my beliefs about Wicca but offered to meet with the DDGM or anyone else to explain their belief system.

Your views, Brethren?
I'm glad your minister was better informed than one I met at a place i used to work.

I looked over the Nursing Assessment of a newly admitted young woman. Under the 'Religion' section, the RN wrote that the patient had said, "I'm wicked."
When I saw her for her physical exam, I asked her if she'd actually said, "I'm Wiccan." and I got the "Uh...YEAH!"
I saw the chief chaplain a few days later, and thought he'd get a laugh over the misunderstanding. Instead, he said, "DEVIL worshipper!" and wanted to know who she was, to 'counsel' her. I declined to identify her, lying that she'd already been discharged...

S&F

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I have studied and performed Wiccan ceremonies. There is nothing in most Wiccans that would prohibit them becoming a Mason.
As was stated earlier in this thread, Trinitarians, Unitarians, Bi-tarians, bit only One Deity.