Winning Coach In 100-0 B-Ball Game Fired

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
The coach of a Texas high school basketball team that beat another team 100-0 was fired Sunday, the same day he sent an e-mail to a newspaper stating he will not apologize "for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity" and posted a detailed explanation on a hoops Web site.

Winning Basketball Coach In 100-0 Game Fired - cbs11tv.com

Should he have let the other team score?

Should he apologize?

rescue48

Firedawg
I think part of it lies in today's society of youth competition. We seem to push our kids a little too hard sometimes and not concentrate on being a good sportsman. I think that the problem is that the teams did not seem to be equally matched and the game should not have even been played.

In short, my opinion is that no, the coach should not have been fired.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Why no he shouldn't be fired , that is ridiculous . I remember back in the 90's a high school basketball team in Cincinnati Ohio beat a little rural high school around the same point margin . There was no reprucussions .

I find the school board calling the game "shameful" , silly also . What was shameful about it? They played great ball . It's a game , they can not help it that the other team couldn't play . And it is even more ridiculous that this has made nation wide news .

rustybones49801

A Rough Ashlar
The "everyone is a winner" attitude is lowering the bar for sports. Even in some areas, soccer teams don't keep score..... whats the point. The kids are being misled by parents. When they get out in the real world, they will see that there ARE winners and loosers...

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I truly do agree, there should not have been anything held against the coach. The players played, the other coach could have forfeited. Anyway, at some point the kids have to learn one thing. As Bill Gates has supposedly once said, life isn't fair, things don't just get given to you, if you win you win, if you lose you lose, but, someone is going to win, and someone is going to lose. Losing sucks, but hey, live with it, it's going to happen more often than winning.
The PC bull of today has quite effectively polluted the sportsmanship and competition of everything. I say re-instate the coach.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
The "everyone is a winner" attitude is lowering the bar for sports. Even in some areas, soccer teams don't keep score..... whats the point. The kids are being misled by parents. When they get out in the real world, they will see that there ARE winners and loosers...
I was going to say the same thing . Not only is it lowering the bar for sports , but in life .By learning to lose in a game prepares you for life . I can tell you from experience , life can beat you down . You have to learn to roll with the punches early in life .

jvlighting1

PA The Keystone State
You took the words right out of my mouth...Very well put..