Wwyd? Q4

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Say you are passing away from a disease. You have between 6 months and 5 years. A 5-10% chance of being cured. Your life insurance would not pay your family if you were to pass away from said disease. However, if someone was to kill you your family would get a 7 figure (x,xxx,xxx) settlement. It would cost you in the low 5 figure range to hire the person.

Would you rather spend the time you have left with your family, or allow them to enjoy the money after your passing away?

I would take my chances with the disease..... medical technology just might find a cure. Besides, you just may ruin someone else family because they may be sent to prison for murder.......

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
Having been in a similar situation with two cancers (Prostate cancer 8 yrs ago and currently battling bladder cancer) I can tell you without hesitation that I chose to fight the diseases.

2SONDAD

Husband, father, son, Mason.
Total agreement

Having been in a similar situation with two cancers (Prostate cancer 8 yrs ago and currently battling bladder cancer) I can tell you without hesitation that I chose to fight the diseases.
I too have battled two different cancers and I am in remission. Fighting IMHO is the only option. Fighting for myself and my family. It's why my tag line says what it says.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I have not battled with a life threatening disease (thank the GAOTU) and hope that I never have to. However, if I remember my 1st degree lecture correctly (& I ought to as I'm working on proficiency), "to be good men and true is the first lesson" taught by our fraternity. Hiring a hit man to get a payoff is neither.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I too have battled two different cancers and I am in remission. Fighting IMHO is the only option. Fighting for myself and my family. It's why my tag line says what it says.
I changed my signature file when I started treatment of the bladder cancer.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I have not battled with a life threatening disease (thank the GAOTU) and hope that I never have to. However, if I remember my 1st degree lecture correctly (& I ought to as I'm working on proficiency), "to be good men and true is the first lesson" taught by our fraternity. Hiring a hit man to get a payoff is neither.
Good answer.
Agreed, good answer, but how about our OB to help poor, distressed, etc, etc, etc, & etc? Wouldn't performing that act qualify?

2SONDAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SONDAD View Post

Windrider replys:
I changed my signature file when I started treatment of the bladder cancer.

God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much.

Windrider, I couldn't agree more. On the positive side however, my faith grew stronger and it drew me to exploring Freemasonry as well.

I wish you luck and most of all good health.

As far as an obligation to help the poor, etc.......I haven't taken my obligation yet, but even if I had, I think there is a more important obligation to follow our laws and not engage someone in criminal behavior.

If you can afford 5 figures to hire someone,odds are you could have afforded life insurance while you were healthy.

Just my two cents.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Keep in mind that I'm the exception to the rule... My stance on this will not be understood by most who read it.

I plan on exiting stage left as soon as my number comes up. I don't plan on any kind of intervention with that whatsoever. My wife has been instructed as to what my wishes are.

As far as the hit man goes, that's simple. I'd just go somewhere that I'd very very likely be killed rather than spend the money to hire someone to do it.

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
It's interesting to follow this discussion. My mother in Law was a member of the Hemlock Society. She was Agoraphobic and always said she would someday take her own life rather than waste away from disease. When she got lung cancer, I asked her what she wanted me to do for her. I told her I would be happy to help in any way she would like and completely understood her wish to not suffer if there was no hope. In the end, she battled the disease until she lost. She did not end her life with pills or a gun although both were available to her. She died in her sleep and my wife found her. She suffered for months with no hope of recovery.

Answering these kinds of questions when the idea of death is an abstract is one thing. Actually inviting the grim reaper to come early is something else.

2SONDAD

I agree with Windrider, it is an interesting discussion. We lost my father-in-law almost 2 years ago, while I was in the middle of one of my battles. After watching him suffer, my wife vowed I wouldn't. We discussed alternatives, however I'm in remission, so the discussion, at least for now, was moot. Again, as I said, I feel I need to battle- I have 2 young boys and after losing my mom at a young age, I vowed I would be there for them. I really don't think I could ever hire anyone.