Zero masons?

tHanks

6 nicknames, guess which.
How many people here have some experience in dealing with say, those who live in the "Bible Belt" that also get a little confused when anything mason is spoken of. We were having a nice lovely chat and a woman has asked why in "all her time" (she was about 70 or so) she had never heard of any masons, ever. :confused:

G

Gary

She lives under a rock maybe? :p

I live in the bible belt, and there are two types of people I've found. Those that know a Mason and or have good things to say about the fraternity, and those who don't know a Mason and buy into all of the conspiracy satan worship BS.

I've never found a person that had flat out never heard of Freemasonry.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I don't know , I am sure there are some who has never heard of it . It is just not something that some never have given any thought too .

I live on the Ohio river where many , many , many of us make or have made our living working on towboats , shoving fuel , chemical , sand/gravel and coal barges up and down the river . We move more tonnage of product than trains or semis' . All along the river front in my town are towboat landings and barge fleets , but when you tell people you work on towboats on the river , most of the time we are asked " You work on Gambling boats ?" or are flat out asked " What are towboats?" . They have never heard of towboats , even though it is one of the biggest employers in my area and part of the fabric of our town .

McCloud

Freemasonry has been around for a long, long time involving A LOT of famous people. It's really hard for me to believe that someone has not heard of freemasonry.

tHanks

Under a rock, in a cave, I am actually surprised they are even aware there is the internet "now a days" or "in this here time". Its always entertaining to see what people like to randomly say when the topic comes up.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Freemasonry has been around for a long, long time involving A LOT of famous people. It's really hard for me to believe that someone has not heard of freemasonry.

Yes , but there has been a lot of things that have been around for a long , long time that I have never heard of . This may seem stupid , more so from a war veteran , but not until a month ago I had no idea there was any such thing as AmVets . And I have lived 4 blocks from there Post most of my adult life , passed by it most everyday and never gave it a second glance because it was never on my radar . A lot of the Ladies in my OES Chapter are " Red Hat" ladies and "Home Makers of America" , I have never heard of these groups before and they have been around for years . As a matter of fact , I didn't know what the OES was until I was a Fellowcraft . I didn't study up on Freemasonry before I petitioned so it was not an interest of mine .

I also lived down the road from a Masonic Lodge , which is clearly marked , and never knew it was a lodge until , on a whim , I filled out a petition . I had know idea what Freemasonry was or what it stood for . And it is now my home lodge . Freemasonry was not on my radar .

And I do know people who know the word Freemason and that is where their knowledge of begins and ends . They know absolutely nothing of what it is about , who can join , how we do it or why we do it .

The thing is , they may have heard about it before throughout their life , but it did not register in their minds because they have no interest in it and have just forgotten about it . I know that happens to me all the time , if I don't not have an interest in something , it goes in one ear and out the other and I do not save it in my memory . Just ask my wife . As a matter of fact , I bet a shiny penny I have heard of the Red Hat ladies , OES and AmVets before in the past and never put it to memory because at the time they did not matter to me .

Eoin

Well, my Dad was a Mason so I knew what was going on. I have met people who don't know what Mason's are but they are few and far between where I live. We have a lot of people who are either in Masons or Eastern Star so there aren't many. But then I live in a very small town.

iMav

-==-
I recently had a conversation with a friend who thought Freemasonry was only for tradesmen (carpenters, electricians, brick layers, etc). A friend of his (who, he said is a Mason) told him this. Sounded to me like his friend was really trying to keep him from any interest in joining. Weird.

Of course, now he has been on the internet doing "research" and now thinks the Freemasons control the world. :)

tHanks

Under a rock might be a good idea but I am still surprised in the year we are now and so many people still seem to "live in the dark". And if its not something like "I had no idea you were..." then its still random acts of unkindness towards others. Its like grow up already, eh?