14 big space rocks discovered beyond Neptune

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Astronomers have discovered a cache of 14 large space rocks beyond the orbit of Neptune while sifting through archival observations from the Hubble Space Telescope.
Icy rocks like the newfound objects are known as trans-Neptunian objects because they typically reside outside Neptune's orbit. These objects include the former planet Pluto, now classified as a dwarf planet, as well as comets like the famed Halley's comet.
The newfound objects range from 25 to 60 miles across (40 to 100 kilometers), said the researchers.
Most trans-Neptunian objects are faint and hard to spot. To find the new group, researchers searched through Hubble photos for the telltale streaks of light that images of these rocks leave as they move through space during time-lapse exposures. After its initial success, this method could reveal hundreds more trans-Neptunian objects over time, hopeful scientists say.

more 14 big space rocks discovered beyond Neptune - Technology & science - Space - Space.com - msnbc.com

Necktie

Neat

It is interesting that they call these the building blocks of the solar system. It is all good and well but it is also a bit vague. Wasn't there a Dr. Who episode where the earth was attacked by spaceships who took that form? Lol.

McCloud

I'm not an astronomer, so I guess that's why I don't understand how these could be the building blocks of the universe. And what exactly are the scientists hopeful for?

G

Gary

I'm not an astronomer, so I guess that's why I don't understand how these could be the building blocks of the universe. And what exactly are the scientists hopeful for?
These are considered the "building blocks" because they are remnants of the very elements that created our universe.

These remnants get trapped in the gravitational pull of celestial bodies (planets. Saturn for example) and form rings. Other times Stars will hold such a gravitational pull and trap the debris in the form of an asteroid belt ( the Keiper belt in the outer region of our solar system).

Any time things like this can be studied, it gives the opportunity to understand our universe, and how it was created.