264 more members gone

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
Just heard that so far there have been another 264 members of the Shrine suspended for NPD . I have no idea how they are keeping their doors open ....

In the last 4 years they have lost (number a member gave me) over 1,200 members or more as he said . more and more are leaving the Shrine (our local temple mind you) . Yet , the potentate balls are growing more and more expensive and extravagant with each new potentate trying to one up the last by spending more money . Each potentate ball costs the members thousands of dollars and the price tag gets higher every year . I will not reveal the price because I do not want to cause someone to choke on what one of these parties to ME (meaning the new potentate) costs .

are the brethren putting their priorities in order finally and doing away with the superfluities ? I do feel bad for those who are members of the board of directors at the hospitals and on the A-team , this is why they are Shriners in the first place . But those I know who are Shriners for the sole purpose of partying , I feel no pity . Sorry if you do not like that , but that's how I feel because I know far to many who can care less about the children/hospitals .

What's it look like in other Shrine temples ? I know I am not a Nobel , but this does interest me along with other bodies member ship losses . My old SR Valley is hemorrhaging also due to suspensions/demits . Their membership loss is more than double of what they are bringing in .

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I can't help but wonder if this situation is happening everywhere. Its sad because the Shrine as w hole does so much for children, but unfortunately all they are known for in masonic circles is their partying. Which IMHO, goes against the intention of the Compasses.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I am curious as to how other Shrine temples are doing myself . I was talking with a Nobel who is rather rejected by these loses . Not for the temple where they can go and "have fun" because he has not walked through the door of the Shrine for anything other than stated temple meetings to give his report on the hospital , he does not partake in the antics or "fun" that goes on . He is a board member of one of our hospitals and does not want to see it close . BUT he does understand how many of us view the Shrine and does not blame us for our views .

And I would not have a problem with all that partying IF IT STAYED in house and IN PRIVATE . But these open to the public parties is where the stories get out .

goomba

None of the young Masons I know have a interest in joining the Shrine because of the party crowd. They do have an amazing mission and I 100% support donations to the hospitals but not the parties.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
None of the young Masons I know have a interest in joining the Shrine because of the party crowd. They do have an amazing mission and I 100% support donations to the hospitals but not the parties.
I support the hospitals too . When I do donate , I give it DIRECTLY to the hospitals and not the local Shrine because I do not know where and what my money goes too when I donate to the Temple . I used to think all their (my local shrine) fund raisers were used to raise money for the hospitals , but learned next to none of the fund raisers support the hospitals . It goes to operating costs and to have their next fund raiser . So I now by-pass the middle man .

ETA: Very few new/young Masons have no interest in joining the Shrine here either . They are going to have to figure something out soon or they will no longer have enough members to keep their temples open .

edwmax

I support the hospitals too . When I do donate , I give it DIRECTLY to the hospitals and not the local Shrine because I do not know where and what my money goes too when I donate to the Temple . I used to think all their (my local shrine) fund raisers were used to raise money for the hospitals , but learned next to none of the fund raisers support the hospitals . It goes to operating costs and to have their next fund raiser . So I now by-pass the middle man .

ETA: Very few new/young Masons have no interest in joining the Shrine here either . They are going to have to figure something out soon or they will no longer have enough members to keep their temples open .

Shrine fund raisers must 'clearly state' the purpose of the activity. If the ticket or poster states the fund raiser is for the Hospitals, 100% of the monies goes to the Hospitals. These will be tax deductible. ... If the fund raiser is for the benefit of the Temple the tickets must say so; these are not tax deductible.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I have never seen the first sign nor any tickets for any of their fund raisers , unless you count a poster board that says "Hog Roast $12.00 for adults/$8.00 for children" that states where the money goes and what the money is for .

But I know how it works , so it really does not matter one way or another because what I was saying is that I am not going to donate to their operating costs or for their next fund raiser / party / ball /dance etc; etc; .Their operating costs should come from their dues just like any Masonic lodge and building rental ( they make a fortune from renting out their building) . Oh , and their weekly bingo , which is another huge money maker for them and I was just talking to a friend who used to run the bingo about that , no where does it say where that money goes or what it is for (but it all goes to operating costs ) .

If they can not afford to operate their building , then some changes need to be made .

edwmax

This is a partial copy of a " fund raiser request/approval forum to the Temple. This is as required by the Imperial Shrine.

We respectfully request permission to hold the following fundraising activity.
____Fraternal Purpose:
The statement of purpose and disclosure published on its solicitation material, tickets, programs and documents, including all electronically transmitted material, regarding the use of the proceeds shall read: Proceeds are for the benefit of (_________Shriners) (__________Shrine Club) activities. Payments are not deductible as charitable contributions.

____ Charitable Purpose:
The statement of purpose published on its solicitation material, tickets, programs and documents, including all electronically transmitted material, regarding the use of the proceeds shall read: Proceeds are for the benefit of Shriners Hospitals for Children. ...
If the Shrine Clubs and Temple of your area, do not include a statement of purpose for the proceeds, then they are in-violation of Imperial Shrine bylaws and requirements.

I don't have the specific bylaws section in hand, but the above is from the request form.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Our local (county) Shrine club has 2 fish fries a year, spring and fall. Both used to be advertised as just "_____ County Shrine Club Fish Fry."
Around 10 years ago, the advertising changed, due to state law on charitable event advertising: one is mentioned at the end of the radio spots as "...benefiting the Shrine hospitals," the other as "...benefiting local Shrine activities."
There was alot of grumbling among the Shriners I know about this new "interference" by the government.
This openness is advertising didn't seem to hurt them.

S&F

kblair210

Having just held a ceremonial this past weekend for new Shriners at our temple I can say Shriners in Florida are alive, well and growing. Would we love more members? Of course, so would any Lodge. The majority of the new Shriners this past weekend were younger (under 40) with several in their lower 20's. The past two ceremonials were along the same lines. Having talked with many of the new Shriners this weekend, I can say not a single one of them had any desire to neglect their Lodge or lessen their participation in them. Several were already officers and most talked about how great their Lodge was. I couldn't count the many past masters we have as Shriners at our temple.

Just as there are bad lodges and bad Masons, there are bad temples and bad Shriners. Just as there are plenty of hurting Lodges there are temples with the same problem. This should come as no surprise to anyone.

People also tend to forget every Shriner is a Mason first. Put some focus on that. It's the responsibility of a Lodge to insure no bad or questionable men are made Master Masons. If the Lodge does its job right, only good men would be capable of becoming Shriners.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Good post Brother. The Shrine as a whole has seen troubled times, but its good to hear a status report in the positive from our jurisdiction. The Work they do for the children is amazing.

Stinger in Kansas

Brother Ashlar I hope your comment at the end of your statement about "Devil Dogs" was not directed at the Shriners. The fact that it was cloaked in a foreign language... I am soon to be Master of my lodge and also serve on the Divan of my Shrine Center. The fact you are attacking an organization you are not a part of and you enjoy the fact it is shrinking is amazing to me. It honestly is not being very masonic at all. In my state and as I understand it worldwide Masonry does not outlaw alcohol or parties. It encourages us to be responsible men and to temper our actions. This attack on Shriners appears to be very similar to attitudes in other states like Kansas where our Grand Lodge wants a smaller fraternity. As I have suggested to our Grand Master remove the requirement on the masonic side and you will get what you want. You enjoy the fact the Shrine lost members how many did the Blue Lodge lose? In Kansas we have fallen into the 19K range. We are in danger of losing 60 lodges.