A Question about a Chaplin's Box

CoachN

Builder Builder
A Question about a Chaplin's Box:

(This question was given to me by a very close Brother.)

Brother, would you please share this with our online Brothers?

“My Lodge Chaplain has floated the idea of leaving a 'Chaplain's box' accessible to the Brothers within Lodge. I am wondering if something like this has ever been done in other Lodges. In presenting the Chaplain’s box, he explained that the box would be placed in Lodge to receive hand-written concerns or information that may be presented to the Lodge, by the Chaplain concerning Brothers in need. The Box is not locked but we, as Masons, are on our honor not to review its contents, leaving this to the Chaplin.

The Chaplin’s commitment is that he would follow up on any submissions and discuss private information with the subject of the submitted information before bringing it up in Lodge, and only if appropriate. He reminded us that Masonic relationships are already in place yet the Lodge cannot support a Brother unless the Lodge is made aware of their concerns.

To the best of your understanding, is this in line with Masonic Tradition? Have other Lodges sponsored a program, similar to this in the past? Do you see any problems with this idea?”

Thank You

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I personally think it would be a great idea, as you stated a lodge cannot help a brother in need if the lodge doesn't know about his needs. Some brothers are too proud to personally ask for help and this may be just the thing to allow them to ask and retain their pride.

As to your question about being in line with Masonic Tradition, IMHO, yes it is, our tenents are Brotherly Love, Relief, and Truth which are the tradition and therefore this idea would not go against said tradtions.

Yes, it would be great if each lodge had a mindreader who would know when a brother needs help, but the last time I checked a mindreading brother was not issued to my lodge. And my Secretary abilities do not include this skill.

A brother's closest friends may or may not know when he needs assistance, so we need to be as observant as possible to a brother's needs.

Zack

Why involve the Chaplin?

According to Fl Masonic Digest(pg 213 10.06) every Lodge should have a Board of Relief, consisting of the WM and Wardens.

I would think that this assumes that a Lodge has a "Relief Fund". I would hazard a guess that most lodges don't have a fund set up for "t r o w d mm's, t w a o" even though it is strongly suggested that it be done.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Why involve the Chaplin?

According to Fl Masonic Digest(pg 213 10.06) every Lodge should have a Board of Relief, consisting of the WM and Wardens.

I would think that this assumes that a Lodge has a "Relief Fund". I would hazard a guess that most lodges don't have a fund set up for "t r o w d mm's, t w a o" even though it is strongly suggested that it be done.
I've never heard of such an animal. My guess is if there was a chaplains box, it wouldn't get used for the same reasons that brothers don't tell the WM of their issues. Although, it is a good idea.

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Why involve the Chaplin?

I know every once in a while the WM will say at a business meeting he took X amount of money out of the relief fund for a worthy Brother at his discretion. Never is a Brother named.

To the best of your understanding, is this in line with Masonic Tradition? Have other Lodges sponsored a program, similar to this in the past? Do you see any problems with this idea?”

Thank You
I have tried twice to setup something for Brothers for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I wanted to go to publix and get one of their "ready meals" that has a turkey, sides, stuffing, and basically everything you need for a good Holiday meal. I offered to buy one or two meals and give them to a Brother that may not be having a meal due to financial reasons. It usually ends with other people jumping in and wanting it to turn into a whole Lodge "party" type of thing, and then fizzles out to nothing.

Casey

MM, RAM, 32nd.
I personally think it would be a great idea, as you stated a lodge cannot help a brother in need if the lodge doesn't know about his needs. Some brothers are too proud to personally ask for help and this may be just the thing to allow them to ask and retain their pride.
I can concur with that. There have been times where my bank account was smaller than my shoe size. Asking for help wasn't even an option- my pride wouldn't allow me to admit what seemed at the time to be a failure.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
I can concur with that. There have been times where my bank account was smaller than my shoe size. Asking for help wasn't even an option- my pride wouldn't allow me to admit what seemed at the time to be a failure.
One might ask the question; Is pride a vice or a superfluity that a Mason must divest himself of?