Advertisement

Winter

I've been here before
Personally, I despise all of these campaigns going on by some GL's. We need to close the doors and focus on developing ourselves as Masons, not recruiting new ones. If we actually offer something worth having, we will never have a problem attracting men.

Personally, I despise all of these campaigns going on by some GL's. We need to close the doors and focus on developing ourselves as Masons, not recruiting new ones. If we actually offer something worth having, we will never have a problem attracting men.
Bullseye....give the Brother a prize...its not quantity...we need QUALITY

G

Gary

Now, Convince all of the GL's of this and we'll be in business!

Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen. The fraternity needs members to support the machine financially. It is what it is.

I wouldnt be greatly surprised if the Shriners dont drop their masonic affiliation within the next 10 years.....I have read it has been considered to increase membership.

I wouldnt be greatly surprised if the Shriners dont drop their masonic affiliation within the next 10 years.....I have read it has been considered to increase membership.
I've heard these rumors as well, but I believe them to be only rumors. There are too many Shriners who believe strongly in the Masonic connection. As a Shriner, knowing that the fellow Nobles are all Masons means that I can usually count on them. I think those in the know also believe giving up the Masonic connection would backfire and kick them in the butt!

G

Gary

I've heard these rumors as well, but I believe them to be only rumors. There are too many Shriners who believe strongly in the Masonic connection. As a Shriner, knowing that the fellow Nobles are all Masons means that I can usually count on them. I think those in the know also believe giving up the Masonic connection would backfire and kick them in the butt!
I whole heartedly agree with that statement.

Winter

I've been here before
Not quite. You are forgetting the governing body of each jurisdiction.
My comment was just tongue in cheek of course.

But imagine this scenario that the only Masonic building to maintain in each jurisdiction was the GL offices.

I dont BELIEVE it will happen either just for the same reasons you mentioned...but I would not be surprised if they did drop the requirement

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I've heard the rumors too. It has been a few years, and before I joined the Shriners the last I heard those rumors.

I doubt it will kick them in the butt. There are people who do not join the Shrine because they have to go through Blue Lodge first. Some people can only afford to Blue Lodge and not both, so they hold off.

I do think that having to be a MM to join the Shrine makes better Shriners though. But the Blue Lodge recieves more benifits from having the Shrine stay on.

Either way though, it is sad to see the Hospitals under utilized and some in trouble. If those billboards get people to donate, and get the hospitals awareness out there, then all the better imho.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
If we are talking about the Shrine considering to drop their Masonic affiliation , then this is not rumor , but fact . It has been brought to floor , voted on and defeated at the Imperial what-ever you call it back in 2005 or 06 . This shows that some were/are considering it and I bet the ones that brought this to the floor before are just waiting it out till the time is right to bring it back up for a vote . My local Shrine's numbers are dwindling away as these young Masons and other men such as myself have no interest in it and the older generation is dying off . So , something is going to have to be done to bolster their numbers .

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
If we are talking about the Shrine considering to drop their Masonic affiliation , then this is not rumor , but fact . It has been brought to floor , voted on and defeated at the Imperial what-ever you call it back in 2005 or 06 . This shows that some were/are considering it and I bet the ones that brought this to the floor before are just waiting it out till the time is right to bring it back up for a vote . My local Shrine's numbers are dwindling away as these young Masons and other men such as myself have no interest in it and the older generation is dying off . So , something is going to have to be done to bolster their numbers .
That is what I thought I heard. it was voted down. I couldn't remember exactly though.

Our Shrine is doing better then the Scottish in term of new recruits. We do have a good number, at least from people I've talked to, who wish to join, but cannot afford to, or have the time. Some want to join just because you can drink there, some for the family interrogation they have, some for the children, and others for a combination of reasons.

The Shrine does great work at their hospital.....as for temples or whatever they are called....I have heard of several not doing very well and that was the reason/thought to allow non-masons to join....

I feel strongly enough about Shriners being Masons that I would probably demit from the Shrine should that occur. Most of the active members in our local Shrine club are also (couple of exceptions) very active in lodge. As a Shrine Officer, we take an oath of office to not stray from our Masonic Obligations.