Advertisement

I was just reading an article on a trade website and noticed the Shriners are advertising......is this a sly way around the advertising prohibition in some jurisdictions???

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I believe that the Shrine may advertise . I see bumper stickers , billboards and the like all the time . There is a huge billboard out near the city limits in my town for the Shrine .

BUT...since you have to be a MM to be a Shriner.... and in KY you arent allowed to ask a man to be a mason (I think right?)....so, wouldnt the advertising to become a Shriner be a sly way around the rule....???

Winter

I've been here before
BUT...since you have to be a MM to be a Shriner.... and in KY you arent allowed to ask a man to be a mason (I think right?)....so, wouldnt the advertising to become a Shriner be a sly way around the rule....???
Appendant Bodies are not bound by the rule about asking. For years that was the only reason the SR and YR got the number of members it did was because the Shrine actively recruited and you had to be a KT or 32 to be a Shriner.

The Shrine would recruit their buddies and then rush them through the Craft Lodge and an appendant body at which point they would never be seen again.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I think the ads are geared more to get people to make donations to their cause or they would like many to think that . But I see what you mean , one bumper sticker I read yesterday stated " The Shrine : Helping Children and having fun ."

Yea...if you look around, it will tell ya you have to become a MM first and I believe it will direct you to the GL for your address....... not that I have a big issue with it...just found it to be a sneaky way around the rules....the Lodges arent advertising...but the Shrine is

Appendant Bodies are not bound by the rule about asking. For years that was the only reason the SR and YR got the number of members it did was because the Shrine actively recruited and you had to be a KT or 32 to be a Shriner.

The Shrine would recruit their buddies and then rush them through the Craft Lodge and an appendant body at which point they would never be seen again.

Unless I am extremely wrong, all appendant masonic bodies here have to abide by the rules of the GL of Indiana

That site's been up for a couple of years at least. It's no different then nearly every GL's website telling you what it takes to become a Mason, or the many fliers that I was given before I became a Mason. It's making information available. That's a lot different than meeting a guy at a bar or at church and soliciting him to become a Mason......Just my humble opinion, of course!

That site's been up for a couple of years at least. It's no different then nearly every GL's website telling you what it takes to become a Mason, or the many fliers that I was given before I became a Mason. It's making information available. That's a lot different than meeting a guy at a bar or at church and soliciting him to become a Mason......Just my humble opinion, of course!
Not knocking it..... just wondering about jurisdictions that dont have fliers or any info on a website...

Not knocking it..... just wondering about jurisdictions that dont have fliers or any info on a website...
Shriners International covers all Temples in US, Canada, and Mexico. I wonder what jurisdiction it should follow?? Headquarters are in FL, of course.

Shriners International covers all Temples in US, Canada, and Mexico. I wonder what jurisdiction it should follow?? Headquarters are in FL, of course.
In Indiana, I am fairly positive, that the Shriners have to abide by all masonic rules the GL of IN issues.....if they wish to remain a recognized masonic appendant body....

In Indiana, I am fairly positive, that the Shriners have to abide by all masonic rules the GL of IN issues.....if they wish to remain a recognized masonic appendant body....
Understandable. But they can't govern against Imperial posting a national website in FL/??

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Hmmm, IDK I've heard about the appendant body surge because of the Shrines recruiting befor from the Illustrious Brother who was my top line signer. I just finished my Masonic Code Course testing for Ohio and it says you can't say "Do you want to become a Mason? etc." but you can say "your a good man and if you became interested in Masonry I wouldn't mind sponsoring you..."

Hmmm, IDK I've heard about the appendant body surge because of the Shrines recruiting befor from the Illustrious Brother who was my top line signer. I just finished my Masonic Code Course testing for Ohio and it says you can't say "Do you want to become a Mason? etc." but you can say "your a good man and if you became interested in Masonry I wouldn't mind sponsoring you..."
I think MN is similar, but it seems to contradict itself a bit. Here's from our code:

SECTION G6.03 Beside violation of Section C8.01, of the Constitution, the following specific acts
shall be deemed unmasonic conduct and shall render the offender subject to discipline.
(a)! To improperly solicit the petition of a profane for the degrees of Masonry before he shall
have clearly indicated some interest in Freemasonry. Proper solicitation shall consist of the
following: A man of sterling qualities may be approached and informed, but only once. He must be
left to make his own decision. He should not be badgered.

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I think MN is similar, but it seems to contradict itself a bit. Here's from our code:

SECTION G6.03 Beside violation of Section C8.01, of the Constitution, the following specific acts
shall be deemed unmasonic conduct and shall render the offender subject to discipline.
(a)! To improperly solicit the petition of a profane for the degrees of Masonry before he shall
have clearly indicated some interest in Freemasonry. Proper solicitation shall consist of the
following: A man of sterling qualities may be approached and informed, but only once. He must be
left to make his own decision. He should not be badgered.
So walk up to a great guy hand him a "2B1Ask1" business card with your info and walk away?

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
[snip]I just finished my Masonic Code Course testing for Ohio and it says you can't say "Do you want to become a Mason? etc." but you can say "your a good man and if you became interested in Masonry I wouldn't mind sponsoring you..."
In NC (AF&AM) we have an official GL pamphlet entitled, "Have You Ever Considered Becoming a Freemason." I have found this pamphlet and this question VERY useful.

S&F

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
In NC (AF&AM) we have an official GL pamphlet entitled, "Have You Ever Considered Becoming a Freemason." I have found this pamphlet and this question VERY useful.

S&F
That probably is something that would be helpful. The last two years the GM has issued an edict saying that each Lodge will put on a Open House. The goal was to encourage members of the surrounding areas to come in to the Lodge see it ask some questions and learn about Blue Lodge and the appendant bodies we have here.