MM Topic Alchemy, Hermetics, and the Kabbalah... Oh my!

Zack

FWIW,
On my local Bright House cable they have a Kabbalah program on JLTV (JewishLifeTV)
channel 172. Pretty interesting but perspectives differ

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I may have to look for that. I do not visit many channels beyond the History type channels. Although with all the "reality" stuff they are playing, those channels are becoming useless.

CoachN

Builder Builder
There are some verey good youtube videos on Kabala available to those interested in pursuing further study. Brother Gary's Disclaimer should apply there too.

Winter

I've been here before
If I may weigh in on this subject to give it the Jewish perspective. The Kabbalah (there are several spellings) is very important part of the Jewish mystical tradition. With that being said, be VERY WARY of any book you find on a bookstore shelf concerning it. It will most likely be filled with mystical mumbo jumbo that will do very little in furthering your actual education and knowledge on the matter!

I would, however, reccomend that you read a brief introduction on the subject that might shed some more light on the subject.

Judaism 101: Kabbalah and Jewish Mysticism

But the only real way to learn anything about the Kabbalah is to find a Rabbi who is willing to teach you. The ones who know it, tend not to publish books!

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
If I may weigh in on this subject to give it the Jewish perspective. The Kabbalah (there are several spellings) is very important part of the Jewish mystical tradition. With that being said, be VERY WARY of any book you find on a bookstore shelf concerning it. It will most likely be filled with mystical mumbo jumbo that will do very little in furthering your actual education and knowledge on the matter!

I would, however, reccomend that you read a brief introduction on the subject that might shed some more light on the subject.

Judaism 101: Kabbalah and Jewish Mysticism

But the only real way to learn anything about the Kabbalah is to find a Rabbi who is willing to teach you. The ones who know it, tend not to publish books!
I wonder why that is? :confused:

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
A book can be read by forty people and you'll get forty interpretations.... but if you have to sit with him and he can correct you on the spot it might help.

Winter

I've been here before
Knowledge is dangerous. Anyone who is willing to learn to read can open a book and use the information inside. The person who distributes the knowledge bears responsibility for the persons actions that uses that knowledge. The years of requisite study before a Rabbi who knows kabbalah will teach you serves as a weeding out.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
That's a possibility, but I would venture to say that even a rabbi would have his own interpretation on the subject. However, I do think it's possible to convey accurate and succinct information in the form of a book if one chose to do so.

I'm thinking that there may be other reasons why they don't publish works on the subject. I do agree that one on one instruction would be most beneficial though.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Knowledge is dangerous. Anyone who is willing to learn to read can open a book and use the information inside. The person who distributes the knowledge bears responsibility for the persons actions that uses that knowledge. The years of requisite study before a Rabbi who knows kabbalah will teach you serves as a weeding out.
You know, that rings true for just about any esoteric subject. One might wonder if that's the reason so much of the Work in Masonry is coded in allegory.

I think subjects like the Kabbalah are very deep subjects to trust a book for the sole source of understanding. I'm content with my vague knowledge of what it is. Meaning I don't see myself digging too deeply into the subject, as I lack the resources to do it properly.

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
I always found the Chronicles of Narnia to have some remnants of the mystic traditions in them behind the stories of Christianity.

PatrickWilliams

I could tell you ...
I think subjects like the Kabbalah are very deep subjects to trust a book for the sole source of understanding. I'm content with my vague knowledge of what it is. Meaning I don't see myself digging too deeply into the subject, as I lack the resources to do it properly.
Truer words were never writ. I've tried to study the Kabbalah several times in my life, and I've discovered (for myself, anyway) that a) without the background of a Jewish education and b) with the depth and breadth of the subject matter, it would be almost impossible to glean anything but surface material from independent study. But what I have learned from my forays into the subject gives me plenty to think about in those odd hours when I have time to contemplate.

Brother Gary,

Thank you for the great post! I have not gone far beyond the surface level of any of the three schools of thought that you cover, but have a few thoughts to share on them if you will indulge me.

Alchemy: My understanding is that Operative Alchemy was not, despite common perception, about turning base metals into gold, but rather removing impurities from a “base” and distilling it into its purest form. This is the process of transmutation. Certainly, Gold could be one of the objectives, I suppose, but I know that there were many other desirable outcomes for the Operative Alchemists. This, in my mind, makes the Speculative Alchemy piece much easier to understand. We are seeking to remove impurities from ourselves, rough edges of the ashlar, or “vices and superfluities”. This is certainly a process, as you have called out, as we learn what those impurities are, seek to understand how to control them, and finally teach others to do the same. The aforementioned WB Timothy Hogan has a great thread on Operative Alchemy and how it relates directly to our ritual on the TSS forum here (The Sanctum Sanctorum).

Hermetics: There are Seven Hermetic Principles (from the Kybalion) that I am aware of: Mentalism, Correspondence, Vibration, Polarity, Rhythm, Cause/Effect and the Principle of Gender. These can each be found in the three degrees of Blue Lodge Masonry and the working tools that we are given. I think you hit the nail on the head, however, with “As above, so Below”. This is the overriding theme and if a Mason takes only one thing (knowingly) from Hermetics, it should be this concept. Also symbolized all throughout the degrees(d-g of an EA is the easiest to see), it teaches us that there must be Balance and that we aspire to perfect below (earth) what has been perfected above (heaven).

Kabbalah: Like many of the other posters here, I have tried a few times to research this further but have been overwhelmed thus far. I hope to push a bit deeper into it as time allows, but see it happening much further down the path I am currently on.

I agree with your perspective that the three schools should be approached in order. This has been proven to me by my several attempts at studying Kabbalah without success. It simply reminds me that I have yet to complete the work in the other two that will give me the keys to understanding the third.

Sorry if this is long-winded  Thank you for bringing the topic up and I look forward to more discussion.

Your Brother,

Jason

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Brother Gary,

Thank you for the great post! I have not gone far beyond the surface level of any of the three schools of thought that you cover, but have a few thoughts to share on them if you will indulge me.

Alchemy: My understanding is that Operative Alchemy was not, despite common perception, about turning base metals into gold, but rather removing impurities from a “base” and distilling it into its purest form. This is the process of transmutation. Certainly, Gold could be one of the objectives, I suppose, but I know that there were many other desirable outcomes for the Operative Alchemists. This, in my mind, makes the Speculative Alchemy piece much easier to understand. We are seeking to remove impurities from ourselves, rough edges of the ashlar, or “vices and superfluities”. This is certainly a process, as you have called out, as we learn what those impurities are, seek to understand how to control them, and finally teach others to do the same. The aforementioned WB Timothy Hogan has a great thread on Operative Alchemy and how it relates directly to our ritual on the TSS forum here (The Sanctum Sanctorum).

Hermetics: There are Seven Hermetic Principles (from the Kybalion) that I am aware of: Mentalism, Correspondence, Vibration, Polarity, Rhythm, Cause/Effect and the Principle of Gender. These can each be found in the three degrees of Blue Lodge Masonry and the working tools that we are given. I think you hit the nail on the head, however, with “As above, so Below”. This is the overriding theme and if a Mason takes only one thing (knowingly) from Hermetics, it should be this concept. Also symbolized all throughout the degrees(d-g of an EA is the easiest to see), it teaches us that there must be Balance and that we aspire to perfect below (earth) what has been perfected above (heaven).

Kabbalah: Like many of the other posters here, I have tried a few times to research this further but have been overwhelmed thus far. I hope to push a bit deeper into it as time allows, but see it happening much further down the path I am currently on.

I agree with your perspective that the three schools should be approached in order. This has been proven to me by my several attempts at studying Kabbalah without success. It simply reminds me that I have yet to complete the work in the other two that will give me the keys to understanding the third.

Sorry if this is long-winded  Thank you for bringing the topic up and I look forward to more discussion.

Your Brother,

Jason
Thanks for your input Bro. Jason! I especially liked your view of Alchemy. You explained it a little better than I did.

Brother Sam

I agree that the Kabbalah is important and should be taught to all Masons. I am preparing a paper to be presented to the Marquis deLafayette Council #392 AMD on this topic in April. Since I am new to Kabbalah I find it a challenge. I thought your description was extremely good as a basic explanation. There are not enough of those running around lately. Good job.

Winter

I've been here before
I think that all Masons should be taught "about" the tradition of Kabbalah since it plays a role as one of they mystical traditions that has greatly influenced Masonry. An overview study of all of the mystery traditions should be requisite.

But I would not recommend that any Mason actually try to study Kabbalah. For one, it cannot be divorced from Judaism. To do so and attempt to study it as a separate entity would make it lose its meaning, essentially perverting it.

Gary2112

Troll Stomper
Staff member
Winter didn't kill this thread.... It's just that no one seems to want to engage him in discussion. He can be intimidating to some I would imagine. I ain't skeered... ;)

I'm not Jewish, but I have a very basic understanding of the Kabbalah. Alchemy and Hermetics are more interesting to me. Alchemy, not for it's operative practice, but rather it's speculative work. Bro. Winter is right though, to be a true student of Kabbalah it would make sense to be of Jewish faith. The two are inter mingled. I wouldn't go so far to say that a Gentile would be perverting the art though. Although, I do see the point that he was trying to make.