MM Topic Allegory in Freemasonry...

G

Gary

Who needs it? with all of the changes that have been done to the fraternity over the years, is it even necessary?

CoachN

Builder Builder
Who needs it? with all of the changes that have been done to the fraternity over the years, is it even necessary?
As long as mankind continues to be chained to the cave wall, there will be a need for those who can provide Light to them who want more.

G

Gary

1) yes
2) it is the inability to see beyond their illusions that prevents sighted people from seeing.
But what use does allegory have in a fraternity that has purposefully simplified it's symbols and changed it's ritual? Literal interpretation seems to be the preferred method of instruction.

G

Gary

Yup???? That's it? :p

One might come to the conclusion that allegory is not necessary because in this day and age, it is neither widely understood or appreciated.

A lack of understanding would also lead to a loss of useful information.

CoachN

Builder Builder
But what use does allegory have in a fraternity that has purposefully simplified it's symbols and changed it's ritual? Literal interpretation seems to be the preferred method of instruction.
Yep.......
Yup???? That's it? :p
Yep
One might come to the conclusion that allegory is not necessary because in this day and age, it is neither widely understood or appreciated.
If one were not spiritual, that would be the conclusion for most.
A lack of understanding would also lead to a loss of useful information.
Yep.
Which would naturally put one at a disadvantage to those who do understand. In fact, those that do understand would become a very valued commodity... :cool:

And, of course, there's all that instruction that becomes necessary for those who want the same. Allegorically speaking of course. :rolleyes:

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
With all the simplification over the years, if FM continues down that path, what is would be the point of any of the things we do in the name of allegory? Why not start wearing funny hats and making water buffalo noises? (no offense to the Shiners).
Having done that, why have an examination committee, petitions, and caring what the fraternity has stood for for centuries?
Allegory also filters our Brothers, those that truly understand allegory grow, develop into good Masons and grow the fraternity.

IMHO: Allegory is what makes FM worth doing, to have to work for a thing makes it more valuable to me.

Allegory...... the first step in a journey once we have cleared the literal in which a mason should learn to remove the walls of the box we had previously used for thinking???

G

Gary

Allegory...... the first step in a journey once we have cleared the literal in which a mason should learn to remove the walls of the box we had previously used for thinking???
That is pure brilliance. Talk about hitting a brass tack with a sledge hammer!

G

Gary

OK, so if allegory is a necessary vehicle in FM, why is it that so many Freemasons (I used that term on purpose) shy away from it?

OK, so if allegory is a necessary vehicle in FM, why is it that so many Freemasons (I used that term on purpose) shy away from it?
To many enjoy the shade in the shadows..... being out in the sun would put them into a place not as comfortable as they are in the shade....

G

Gary

To many enjoy the shade in the shadows..... being out in the sun would put them into a place not as comfortable as they are in the shade....
If the shade is so enjoyable, what comfort is given to the Mason ( I used that term on purpose) who works in the light?

What mystery is revealed by a shadow? I think we are treading into some 'ruff' territory...