MM Topic Allegory in Freemasonry...

If the shade is so enjoyable, what comfort is given to the Mason ( I used that term on purpose) who works in the light?

What mystery is revealed by a shadow? I think we are treading into some 'ruff' territory...
Knowing he has done the work....and the "wages" he will receive for his labors...

as for your second question....allow me to use the words of a wise man:
Yup!!!

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
I think we've hit on this before but FM is just the vehicle for Masonry. We need the ruffians that just pay dues to oil the gears and keep those in the light working. (Note the use of oil he he noticed post sentence) The parrots are there to keep the ritual as the shadows show it to pass the Masonry on to the next generation. Then there are those who step into the light and are blinded. Slowly, however, the eyes adjust. As they must for Masons to carry on this work. This adjustment gives them a way to see the key to breaking free the chains.

A few men are parrot and Mason (Ashlar), to me they become Poets for with the use of their teaching words (Coach), strong headed debate (Fireman), or carefully played barbs (Gary) we are shown an ART that many miss. This is the Art added that makes the whole picture of Masonry shine. I have FM Brothers and Mason Brothers. They point help painted a picture that will be veiled to those who can't step free.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
One must work on studying the allegorical side of Freemasonry , to break down the walls of their little box , step outside of their own little world . We live in a time when everyone wants it now , they want to take the path of least resistance , they want everything handed to them on a silver platter . The ruffians who do not want to look deeper into the allegorical side of Freemasonry take comfort in that they do not have to face their own faults and foibles .

Those who work out "in the sun" are not afraid to point out the corners of rough stone of their imperfect ashlars and work on smoothing them . They Do not want the take the easiest path because it would not be a worth while journey , and the journey is where we learn to better ourselves .

I have not had my coffee , so I will probably be heavily editing this !

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Allegory is the winnowing fan of FM, only by applying labor to the endeavor of separating the grain from the chaff can a useful product be gleaned.

By hiding the truths of FM within allegorical references we are provided an opportunity to have sweat equity to our membership. That for me, at least, is why FM is appealing (and my portion of the national treasure :D ).

jonesvilletexas

MWSA Secretary
Who needs it?

Who needs it? with all of the changes that have been done to the fraternity over the years, is it even necessary?

We as good men need it, that is if we are trying to be better men. I cannot speak for other Grand Lodges or my own, only for myself. I love studying the symbolism of our great fraternity and the deep meanings contained in the floor work and try to apply it to my life. Yes I believe, speaking for myself, yes I do believe it is necessary.

Winter

I've been here before
Who needs it? with all of the changes that have been done to the fraternity over the years, is it even necessary?
Lordy I hope that question was posed for shock value, Brother! LOL And how in the heck did I miss this thread! :)

FF Sparky

Allegory meaning the use of symbols to represent something? I thought thats what Freemasonry I all about? I know Im new to this. But what has changed?

BukeyeJackson

ViMH Advisory Board
Allegory meaning the use of symbols to represent something? I thought thats what Freemasonry I all about? I know Im new to this. But what has changed?
Not sure about your GL but some of the programs that delve into the mysteries are lacking. Masonic education consisting of the foremost thought given to the symbols instead of pushing into the baser meanings of each and seeing how they can apply so much further and develop you into a MASON not just a Freemason.