Am I joining for the right reasons?

Josh

Hello, my name is Josh. Lately I have been interested in joining the Freemasons. I am currently 17 ( 18 in 2 months ) and plan on joining when I turn 18. My uncle and I talk about it a lot because he has a few friends that are members and he himself is also considering joining ( to my knowledge ). What I am wondering is if I want to join for the right reasons. I want to join because like most humans, I am not perfect. I am looking to better myself as a person and learn things that will help me be the best man that I can be. I also have never been to involved with community work but I wouldn't mind getting involved, just the opportunities have never really popped up to me. Along with the goal of trying to better myself I also will not lie I want to learn the Freemason ways. I want to become a brother, I want to have a lifelong bond with people, I want to be apart of something that has been around for so long. I want to learn the history and the rituals to. I have been talking to my uncle about this question for months, maybe almost a year, and still am confused. I guess basically I want to join, because I want to learn what it means to be a Freemason. Every Freemason that has posted about joining, and post I've read, make me want to join more. The Freemasons seem so pure, and I feel joining them will give me some self enlightenment along with teach me how to be a better man. My main reason, as stated numerous times, I really want to better myself, I am a good person in my heart, but have made some mistakes, and I strongly feel the Freemasons will help me look at myself in new lights. After reading this, I simply ask, are these the right reasons?

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
As you have probably read on this forum, a lot of jurisdictions have in place a rule against any man joining who has a criminal history which includes a felony conviction. That being said, your reasons seem as right as any others reasons we have read from others. My advice to you is to seek out a man who is a Mason and inquire of him if the mistakes you have made will preclude you from joining, be honest with him and don't be afraid he will ridicule you, he won't. You will need to have 2 Masons to sign your petition anyways so if you will get to know some Masons it will be easier for you to petition for membership in a few months. Go to a local Lodge and check out the signage on the building for the Master's or the Secretary's contact information, and contact them.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Josh-
First of all...
Welcome.
Jump in and stir up some discussion...as you already have!

To concur with Custer148, talk to a Mason. So far, your information is second-hand.
One of our bumper stickers says, "Making good men better."
We don't claim to make bad men good, but we can find touchstones in the Masonic teachings that remind us what constitutes a good man and true. If you can accept these teachings, they will be of lasting benefit to your life and relationships. You will meet men of many walks and climes in the lodge. You would probably meet men you would otherwise not encounter, and you will learn that men of all social levels have their value to their God, their family, their neighbor, and themselves.
In the Lecture of one of our degrees are the words, "...and conciliates true friendship among those who otherwise might have remained at a perpetual distance." [Don't worry, this is part of the lecture that is printed out in plain text.]
One of the recent new Masons in my lodge is a man who had some difficulty in the memory work. He is not highly educated and his vocabulary is pretty simple. When we had a lodge building cleanup day in the spring, he noticed some work that needed to be done around the windows, and guided the rest of us through the repairs.
His hands have a college education, maybe a graduate degree!

Sincerely and fraternally,

Bill_F

I cannot tell a lie! About 18 years ago, a relative and I were talking about societies, and fratenalisim, and the Masons came up. I will admit, it was only out of curiousity that I sought out info about it, but never pursued it.
Fast forward 15 years... I had a business aquaintance that I came to really respect and admire, and after learning he was a Brother, it renewed my interest. I think that society has gone downhill, and each generation gets more and more numb to some of the atrocities that go on around us. To think that there was a place, a group of men, that still had high ideals and integrity and believed in the greater good and were commited to practicing them. Well, I just had to be a part of that! So what started out as curiousity turned into respect. The more I learned the more I liked.
I wonder how my life would differ had I become a Mason at 18!

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
I cannot tell a lie! About 18 years ago, a relative and I were talking about societies, and fratenalisim, and the Masons came up. I will admit, it was only out of curiousity that I sought out info about it, but never pursued it.
Fast forward 15 years... I had a business aquaintance that I came to really respect and admire, and after learning he was a Brother, it renewed my interest. I think that society has gone downhill, and each generation gets more and more numb to some of the atrocities that go on around us. To think that there was a place, a group of men, that still had high ideals and integrity and believed in the greater good and were commited to practicing them. Well, I just had to be a part of that! So what started out as curiousity turned into respect. The more I learned the more I liked.
I wonder how my life would differ had I become a Mason at 18!
I also was interested at 19 years old and didn't pursue it. At 34 I was raised. I also questioned "What if?". A good friend and Brother once answered my question with one of his own? How do you know if you were prepared to be a Mason 15 years ago? I have often thought of his question every time I hear "What if?" in relation to Masonry. And maybe, like me, you were not prepared yet.

Josh

Thanks everyone so far who has responded. I am glad to hear that my reasons are not so far-fetched as I thought they were. I have to say for about a few years now I've been wanting to join. I did a research paper a few years back in school about societies, and obviously, the Freemasons popped into my mind. It was about 6 or 7 pages long and honestly I went into it with a biased mind after hearing all the stuff on the internet, but, after the paper was done It's safe to say I support Freemasons 100% regardless if I get accepted when I turn 18 or not (and I checked the local lodges I am of age at 18). Even reading your posts you all seem like such whole-hearty people (I believe that's the word). I really can not wait to get my foot in the door and meet some people and give this "fraternity" (ill call it that for now) everything I have to offer. Also, just to start up some talk if anyone is still posting here, If I am aloud I would love to hear some of your stories, meaning, what, or how has the Freemasons changed you? Do you meet new people that have that same interest just walking around? And for the record whoever posted above, when I said I have done some things I am not proud of, I don't mean anything severe. There are a lot of little things I have done in the past that to me add up to big things you know? Also, I was wondering are the meetings and things usually at a standard time for everyone? Lastly, being 18, does that hurt my odds of getting accepted because I would be a little on the younger side? Thanks everyone who is contributing to this conversation, really enjoy reading all you's have to say. ( sorry for the poor grammer ).

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Freemasonry is not about a perfect person joining a club, it is about taking a person with a good soul being given further direction towards being a better person. The path towards Master Mason is just that, a process, a journey, experiences that can help you forge yourself into a better version of you.
As for your age, every Lodge wants younger Brothers to prepare the way for the next generation.

Winter

I've been here before
It is not a potential candidate's soul I am as concerned with since there is no quantitative test for me to tell how "good" it is. But I can judge a potential candidate on his past behavior and his actions in his community. Does he have a criminal record? How was he in high school or college? Is he involved in a community service? Does he belong to any service organizations? What are his familial connections and obligations? What is his job history? Basically, what has he done so far in his life that shows that he is dedicated to the betterment of his community and self? And if he has made mistakes, what has he done since?

The Freemasons are not a self-help group or new age church that promises to help a person turn their life around and get on the right path. What we are, is a Fraternal Order in the ancient sense. A group of men who have been bound together by the ritual of our initiation and the direction of our purpose. I always tell a person who wants to join to do a few things before I will help them.

1. Form an honest opinion of why you think you want to join the Freemasons.
2. Do research from any source available. Public library, internet, friends who are Masons.
3. Ask questions about what you learned. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.
4. Make a serious effort to get in contact with the Lodge nearest you to get to know them.
(Whether you join or not, it will go a long way to making life long friends with good men.)
5. Be willing to make a life long comment to learning and improving yourself and the world around you.
You can usually tell if someone is serious just based on number 1. If they cannot be bothered to learn about the seriousness of committing to the Freemasons, they are not worth my time.

The ball is in your court Josh.

P.S. On a side note and as a friendly piece of advice. One of your posts makes an apology for the grammar. This is an important part of being an adult. How we communicate with others is often directly responsible for how we are perceived. If you want to be accepted by your peers as an intelligent and thoughtful individual then your grammar is going to be the primary vehicle for that perception. There are some things you can do to improve your grammar if you feel it is lacking. First, read. Read a lot. Reading serves multiple purposes. Even if you are reading crappy science fiction you are being exposed to new thoughts and ideas. But more importantly, most books have gone through an extensive editing process so that they contain correct grammar. The more you read this, the more it sticks in your subconscious what correct speech looks like. Even if you cannot diagram a sentence and tell the predicate from the subject, you should be able to write with a more grammatically correct style.

Bill_F

I also was interested at 19 years old and didn't pursue it. At 34 I was raised. I also questioned "What if?". A good friend and Brother once answered my question with one of his own? How do you know if you were prepared to be a Mason 15 years ago? I have often thought of his question every time I hear "What if?" in relation to Masonry. And maybe, like me, you were not prepared yet.
Very true, I had not thought of it that way.

Josh

I have another question to anyone who wishes to answer. I have been reading a few of the other post, because like I said I still have 2 months but I am just really trying to be prepared and want to know as much as I can before I waste anyone's time. I was reading one of the post on here and one of the Masons says at the home interview thing he said he usually ask about what they can offer to the brotherhood. I was thinking about myself, I make music ( hip hop/R&B/rap ) (not like that hood rap though, I just like the rap beats, and I usually just write how I am feeling and record). That's all I really have though, I honestly cant think of many things I can personally bring to the Freemasons, I can offer my loyalty, my dedication, my respect, my knowledge, and my will to be the best I can be, but that is all. I cant really bring anything special or materialistic, I do not have many other talents other than music. Does everyone typically have something to contribute to the Freemasons, because honest I cant think of much that I have to bring.

Winter

I've been here before
We all have a multitude of talents and skills that we make use of us on a regular basis. You need to figure out what your contribution to the betterment of society and your fellow man is, or is going to be, for yourself.