Amazing Sunspot Image from New Solar Telescope

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
The most detailed sunspot ever obtained in visible light was seen by new telescope at NJIT's Big Bear Solar Observatory. Credit: Big Bear Solar Observatory

A new type of adaptive optics for solar observations has produced some incredible results, providing the most detailed image of a sunspot ever obtained in visible light. A new telescope built by the New Jersey Institute of Technology’s Big Bear Solar Observatory has seen its ‘first light’ using a deformable mirror, which is able to reduce atmospheric distortions. This is the first facility-class solar observatory built in more than a generation in the U.S.

The New Solar Telescope (NST) is located in the mountains east of Los Angeles. It has 97 actuators that make up the deformable mirror. By the summer of 2011, in collaboration with the National Solar Observatory, BBSO will have upgraded the current adaptive optics system to one utilizing a 349 actuator deformable mirror. The telescope has a 1.6 m clear aperture, with a resolution covering about 50 miles on the Sun’s surface

Amazing Sunspot Image from New Solar Telescope | Universe Today

Yup, I'm a nerd, first thing I thought of was the Eye of Sauron.

G

Gary

Yup, The Eye of Sauron was definitely "spot" on...:D

As an backyard astronomer I find this stuff fascinating.

johnny

Wow!

I absolutely love this picture! And as a fellow geek I also love Lord of the Rings and Sauron's eye was also one of my first thoughts! I enjoy teaching my son of the solar system and we enjoy looking through our telescope on clear nights. Too bad we can't ever have one that will show us this from home!