An Idea for a Lodge Library

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
About 15 or 20 years ago, when I was avidly buying books on Freemasonry, I kept hearing about Mackey's Encyclopedia of Freemasonry, but I couldn't find anywhere to buy one and was told it was out of print. After a while, I discovered one of my Lodge brothers had one though, and would loan me requested volumes if I wanted to read up on something.
It occurred to me after a while that maybe other brothers might have interesting books on Masonry, but not many other people knew they were nearby.
How about bringing all the titles together in a library?
Not the books...the titles.

Disclaimer Notice: The "We've never done it this way" attitudes prevailed and the idea never took off.

I still have a packet of 3x5" (that's 7.5x12.5cm) index cards with the title, author, and name of the book owner on each. I typed out an alphabetical list of the books and passed it out a few times at Lodge, first with my books on it, then later with a few owned by other brothers. Not many ever told me what books they might have.
If you wanted a book on the list to research or just read, you could call me and I could direct you to the brother who owned the book, or if the owner wanted to remain private, I'd be willing to arrange to get the book and pass it to you.
I never got a call, not one.

Just wanted to pass the idea along, in case another brother could use it.

S&F

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
FM Hall library

I would be willing to loan my new library with all of you.
Anybody else in?
We would post our titles here, then if one of us wanted to borrow something we would contact the person with that title, a little media mail later...

G

Gary

It's not a bad idea, but (there's always a but...) there have been instances where I've loaned a book out and never got it back.

Our Lodge had the same problem, and wound up pretty much closing the library. It takes an act of congress just to look at a book, and forget about signing one out. The books are locked away in the Secretaries office.

I'm not saying I won't participate, but I'll be VERY cautious as to who I loan my beloved books to. I do like the idea though.

Let's see if there is more interest, and we can start a separate thread for Inter-library loan or something of the sort.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
It's not a bad idea, but (there's always a but...) there have been instances where I've loaned a book out and never got it back.

Our Lodge had the same problem, and wound up pretty much closing the library. It takes an act of congress just to look at a book, and forget about signing one out. The books are locked away in the Secretaries office.

I'm not saying I won't participate, but I'll be VERY cautious as to who I loan my beloved books to. I do like the idea though.

Let's see if there is more interest, and we can start a separate thread for Inter-library loan or something of the sort.
Our Lodge's library is out in the lobby, haven't looked it over closely, many old volumes on those shelves.

I took 'The Builders' out of my local library, on the inner fly it stated that was was a goft from my Lodge, quite fun.

I agree, lets see what kind of interest, etc