Angels

Winter

I've been here before
I've always found study of how cultures view angels as fascinating. Here is an article by a respected Rabbi about the subject. I'm a little farklempt, talk amongst yourselves! ;)

By Rabbi Louis Jacobs
Oxford University Press.

Angels are supernatural beings who perform various functions at God's behest. The Hebrew word malakh comes from a root meaning "to send" and is used both in the ordinary sense of a messenger and in the sense of an angel "sent" by God. (The English word "angel" is derived from the Greek angelos with the same meaning of messenger.) In Genesis 32:2, Jacob meets the angels of God (malakhey elohim) but in verse 4 he sends messengers (malakhim) to his brother Esau, though in a Midrashic fancy it is the angels mentioned in verse 2 that Jacob sends to Esau.

In the Bible

References to angels are found throughout the Bible but with the exception of Gabriel (Daniel 8:16; 9:21) and Michael (Daniel 13; 12:1) in the late book of Daniel, the angels in the Bible have no name. When Manoah asks the angel to tell him his name, the angel replies that it is secret (Judges 13:17-18). The inter*esting observation is found in the Talmud that, in fact, the names of the angels came into the possession of the Jews from Babylon. The word el appended to an angel's name means God; thus Gabriel (from gevurah, "power") means "power from God."

In the later Jewish tradition the angel Michael is the angel of mercy; Gabriel the angel of justice; Raphael the angel of healing; and Uriel the angel of illumination. In the prayer before going to sleep the words occur: "In the name of the Lord, the God of Israel, may Michael be at my right hand; Gabriel at my left; Uriel before me; Raphael behind me; and the Shekhinah of God be above my head."

Rabbinic Literature

As in the Bible, there are numerous references to angels in the rabbinic literature. But there is not a single reference to angels in the Mishnah, although it is hard to tell whether this silence is simply because the Mishnah had no cause to refer to angels or whether, as some scholars think, the editor of the Mishnah wishes to discourage belief in angels.

Angels are never the objects of worship. This is severely condemned by the rabbis as idolatry. The Palestinian Talmud remarks that there is no need for Jews to pray to God through the mediation of the angels, but in the Babylonian Talmud it is implied that one of the angelic functions is to bring the prayers of Israel to the throne of God. Some later rabbis disapproved of the few passages in the liturgy in which angels are invoked, but others defended these prayers on the grounds that the angels are only entreated to be the messengers of Israel as they are the messengers of God.

A device found in a number of Talmudic passages is to place apparent moral objections to God's conduct of the world into the mouths of the ministering angels, as if to say that these objections seem to be weighty and have spiritual force, although eventually, God provides the answer. Good men are said to be higher in rank than the angels. The angels are not al*lowed to sing their praises of God on high until Israel has done so on earth.

Philosophers, Kabbalists, & Modern Jews

The medieval thinkers, though, believing in the existence of angels as found in the Bible and the rabbinic literature, tend to interpret the whole subject of angelology in a highly spiritual and more or less rationalistic manner. Accord*ing to Maimonides, angels are creatures pos*sessing form without matter. They are pure spirits differentiated from one another not by any bodily distinctions but solely by spiritual form and purpose.

For Maimonides, the angels are only seen in the Bible as creatures of fire and human form with wings as a feature of the prophetic vision. Wherever it is said in the Bible that angels appear to men in human guise, the meaning is that they so appear in a dream, which leads Maimonides, to the con*sternation of Nahmanides and others, to ex*plain away some biblical passages as relating not actual events but dreams. Jacob did not really wrestle with the angel (Genesis 32:25-*30 ), but only dreamed that he did so. Other commentators take the biblical passages liter*ally, accepting that the angels actually become men when they appear on earth.

The Zohar adopts a compromise position. For the Zohar the angels are pure spirits and in their natural form they cannot appear in the natural world, for the world could not contain them if they did. They are obliged to assume the garments, as the Zohar puts it, of this world.

The Kabbalah as a whole is full of references to angels and in the practical Kabbalah names of angels are used in amulets. Interestingly, Maimonides (Guide of the Perplexed 1:49) quotes a Midrashic comment on the words (Genesis 3:24): "the flaming sword that turns every way" which suggests that this refers to the angels who change constantly, sometimes appearing as men, at other times as women.

In one passage in the Talmud it is said that angels accompany a man wherever he goes except when he goes to relieve himself. Before a man enters the privy he should address a special apology to the angels for his having to take leave of them.

Among many modern Jews, belief in the existence of angels is very peripheral. Even when those parts of the liturgy referring to angels are still maintained, they are understood more as sublime poetry than as theological statements. However, there are comparatively few outright denials of the actual existence of angels and some Jews, even today, look upon belief in angels as an important part of the religious life.

Rabbi Dr. Louis Jacobs (1920-2006) was a Masorti rabbi, the first leader of Masorti Judaism (also known as Conservative Judaism) in the United Kingdom, and a leading writer and thinker on Judaism.

johnj1582

brother Winter, thank you for sharing this insightful article. I really enjoyed it.

Oh, and remember: the enemy gate is down.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
Writing about angels

The rite of Anam Cara that this couple just partook in is one of deep meaning and yet there is another meaning to Anam Cara. The term just used is two words, which mean “soul friend”; there is another usage of this term where it is one word Anamcara; which is the Celtic term for an incorporeal spirit messenger, an angel.
Angels are common to most of the world’s religions. The word ‘angel’ comes from the Greek word ‘Angelos’, meaning ‘messenger’, the Thai word ‘nang-faa’ laterally means “sky-woman” and is translated into English as angel. The Shinto’s of Japan have their ‘kami’, who are deities and often manifest the attributes that we as humans aspire to. Little needs to be said about the Jewish or Christian angels, they are the messengers of God, warriors, guardians, and are the fallen; demons lead by Lucifer, the Christian God’s pipe organ. Buddhists have devas; Islam has the archangel Gabriel reading the first revelation to Muhammad.
So why all this talk about angels, nang-faa, Anamcara? Well, the ancient Celts had no concept of Heaven or Hell, and believe that their ultimate goal is to rejoin the Godhead and still they believed that there are Anamcara ‘messengers’, for to a Celt death was a stopping point on their journey and they did not fear it.
So the words this couple have just uttered to each other have much deeper meaning, they have a truly eternal perspective: forever and a day is literal not figurative, this couple has joined to each other eternally and someday as their physical life together ends, the eternal one they proclaimed today will continue unabated.

THE COUPLE'S WORDS

Daniel and Shari have now made their vows, pronounced their “I-Do’s” and exchanged rings. On this wedding day we celebrate the Celtic spirit of anam cara. Anam cara is translated from the Gaelic as “soul friend” I guess today we would say “soul mate.” By entering in a partnership with your anam cara, you are joined in an ancient and eternal way with this person whom you must cherish, in everyone’s life there is a great need for an anam cara and so I ask you to:

Recognize each other as your aman cara.
Make each other your first priority.
May you be smart enough and determined enough to take every chance with each other.
May you have the words and actions to let the other know how important you are to each other.
Today with your anam cara,
You have become one.

And now, please drink to the love you’ve shared in the past.
(the couple takes turns sipping from the loving cup)

Drink to you love in the present, on this your wedding day.
(they drink)

And drink to your love in the future and forever more.
(they drink)

I now pronounce you husband and wife, you may now kiss the bride.

G

Gary

Writing about angels

The rite of Anam Cara that this couple just partook in is one of deep meaning and yet there is another meaning to Anam Cara. The term just used is two words, which mean “soul friend”; there is another usage of this term where it is one word Anamcara; which is the Celtic term for an incorporeal spirit messenger, an angel.
Angels are common to most of the world’s religions. The word ‘angel’ comes from the Greek word ‘Angelos’, meaning ‘messenger’, the Thai word ‘nang-faa’ laterally means “sky-woman” and is translated into English as angel. The Shinto’s of Japan have their ‘kami’, who are deities and often manifest the attributes that we as humans aspire to. Little needs to be said about the Jewish or Christian angels, they are the messengers of God, warriors, guardians, and are the fallen; demons lead by Lucifer, the Christian God’s pipe organ. Buddhists have devas; Islam has the archangel Gabriel reading the first revelation to Muhammad.
So why all this talk about angels, nang-faa, Anamcara? Well, the ancient Celts had no concept of Heaven or Hell, and believe that their ultimate goal is to rejoin the Godhead and still they believed that there are Anamcara ‘messengers’, for to a Celt death was a stopping point on their journey and they did not fear it.
So the words this couple have just uttered to each other have much deeper meaning, they have a truly eternal perspective: forever and a day is literal not figurative, this couple has joined to each other eternally and someday as their physical life together ends, the eternal one they proclaimed today will continue unabated.

THE COUPLE'S WORDS

Daniel and Shari have now made their vows, pronounced their “I-Do’s” and exchanged rings. On this wedding day we celebrate the Celtic spirit of anam cara. Anam cara is translated from the Gaelic as “soul friend” I guess today we would say “soul mate.” By entering in a partnership with your anam cara, you are joined in an ancient and eternal way with this person whom you must cherish, in everyone’s life there is a great need for an anam cara and so I ask you to:

Recognize each other as your aman cara.
Make each other your first priority.
May you be smart enough and determined enough to take every chance with each other.
May you have the words and actions to let the other know how important you are to each other.
Today with your anam cara,
You have become one.

And now, please drink to the love you’ve shared in the past.
(the couple takes turns sipping from the loving cup)

Drink to you love in the present, on this your wedding day.
(they drink)

And drink to your love in the future and forever more.
(they drink)

I now pronounce you husband and wife, you may now kiss the bride.
This sounds distinctly like a Hand Fasting ceremony. The cup is known as a Quaich if memory serves me correctly.