Another Ring Discussion

dajofa

To be brief as possible!

Was at dinner solo at the bar of a high end restaurant, a husband and wife couple sitting next to me. The wife noticed my ring and endeavored into a conversation about Masonry. It turns out that her father is a Mason who, from what she described, was being an officer in the within a Grand Lodge in Canada. He is elderly. He gave her his masonic ring as a token.

She asked me if I thought if is was OK for her to re size and wear it as a sign of her respect and love for her father.

My advice to her:

1. Ask her father.

2. I told that I would personally not have a problem with it as long as she was not trying to use it as a Masonic identification tool. Being female would surely make it obvious she was not a Mason. Yes, I know there have been female masons!

Besides that one can tell another very quickly even in this day of an overabundance of internet information!

Question :

What advice would you have given?

Fraternal Regards
Dave
Connetquot #838

Windrider

Plus-sized tuxedo model
I would explain that wearing the ring as a memento of her father is wonderful. I would also caution her to not allow any male members of her family to wear it. I might also explain the Masonic Blue Slipper to her and suggest she get one.

I'm often asked by candidates when they could wear a ring or pin. I explain that the ring identifies them as a Master Mason and they shouldn't wear the symbol until they have earned that privilege. I also tell them that other brothers will ask them questions which they couldn't answer yet and as a result would not make a new friend and possibly be treated with scorn.

Manderthal

I'd have suggested she wear it around her neck on a gold chain. There are many women in the world who's fathers were masons. I'd not like to see them all wearing masonic rings as jewelry.