Another Winter of Extremes, Forecasters Say

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
A colder and wetter than average winter is in store for the Pacific Northwest, while the southern United States and California are expected to see a warmer and drier winter, government forecasters announced today (Oct. 21).

Overall, forecasters expect another winter of extremes ahead based on the strengthening La Niña, a climate phenomenon that is associated with cooler-than-normal water temperatures in the equatorial Pacific Ocean.

This includes increased chances of storms and flooding in the northern plains and the Ohio and Tennessee valleys, while drought conditions continue in Hawaii.

La Niña has the opposite effect as its cousin El Niño, but both occur every two to five years and drive extreme weather around the globe. Last winter's El Niño contributed to record-breaking precipitation and flooding in some parts of the United States, while other areas experienced record heat and drought.

more Another Winter of Extremes Forecasters Say | Winter Weather Predictions, El Nino & La Nina, Drought & Snow | LiveScience

McKitch

I suppose it depends where you are at!

I have always wanted to know the difference between the two. I want to read a nice news report that says we are gonna have a warm dry and uneventful winter. Is that to much to ask for? Heh.

Winter

I've been here before
That will never happen. I want to read the headline that says: "Psychic wins the lotery!!!!"

McKitch

That will never happen. I want to read the headline that says: "Psychic wins the lotery!!!!"
I guess I am always the dreamer. Of course I know you are right or I would not have been buying winter coats for the family yesterday. By the way JCPennys is having a REALLY incredible sale. Plus when I got to the counter I asked if they had extra discounts and they gave me an extra 15% for spending more than $75 dollars. In the end we got four nice winter coats for $88.50.

Jacobson

I wonder what the weather has in store for Europe? I used to love it when I lived in Scotland and we had thick snow. My daughter in Anchorage can always pretty much guarantee snow as well!