Anti-Matter trapped...

Winter

I've been here before
I'm not so sure I'm ok with them running experiments on antimatter! LOL Did you notice how many times the word "annihilation" was used in that article?

What happens when the magnetic containment they are using fails during one of those experiments? When matter and antimatter come into contact they "annihilate" each other which results in the release of kinetic energy.

For example, 1 kg of antimatter reacting with one 1 kg of matter is the equivalent of a detonation of 43 megatons of TNT!

It's no wonder they are exploring antimatter as an alternative fuel source. But it still makes me a little uneasy.

Note: I am an anthropologist, not a physicist. But I do love to keep up on all the tech journals!

G

Gary

Yup. The word comes up a LOT when discussing anti-matter. They don't call it the G-d particle for nothing...

I'm just waiting for Dilithium crystals to be discovered so we can build warp drives like on Star Trek...:D

Winter

I've been here before
I'm just waiting for Dilithium crystals to be discovered so we can build warp drives like on Star Trek...:D
Yeah right. That'll happen the same time we solve obesity and can all fit into those nifty uniforms they have on TNG!

G

Gary

It went wrong when my cohorts in crime started having a little fun.:D

G

Gary

Wrong when fun was had? Impossible!
It made me laugh, so I see no wrong done. I was however a little disappointed that Coach didn't bust out a lesson on anti-matter in relation to Freemasonry...:p:p;)

It made me laugh, so I see no wrong done. I was however a little disappointed that Coach didn't bust out a lesson on anti-matter in relation to Freemasonry...:p:p;)
Give the Brother time.....I am sure he can formulate a theory that would make even the most knowledgeable Brothers brow wrinkle a bit.....

G

Gary

No doubt. I'm sure that if he does decide to share a little something, we'd better have some fire extinguishers handy for the brain overload that will undoubtedly ensue upon those that ponder his lesson... :D

I am sure this would be the general reaction :eek::eek::confused::confused::eek::eek:

followed up by Coach saying "Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth" :D

Ouch.... careful there Bro.....we have active Brothers that are of the Catholic faith...this could be taken bad...even though it had the "LOL" at the end....

G

Gary

I think there is more "Anti" matter out there than just the Catholic Church.

That said, I know a couple of Catholic Brother's and they don't mind being Freemason's so it don't matter.... what anyone else has to say about it.

Winter

I've been here before
Yeah, I know how close that statement came to crossing the line! :D

I also know what a difficult decision it is for many of my Brothers who come from the Catholic faith to choose the Order over the dictates of the Vicar of Christ. They believe so strongly in what we do that they have chosen excommunication and being forbidden from receiving communion to associate with us. But let's face facts. Holy Mother Church (especially Benedict, NOT JP II) in her current incarnation is no friend of ours. So I feel they're fair game.

I respect and tolerate all faiths. Even Catholicism. But my contempt for the Vatican will always remain.

Sorry. This was not the place for a rant! ;)