Any pilots here

emarsh

Not there yet but I'm working on it. I just built a second trim tab for my Van's RV-6a project after the first one didn't come out right.

Bike Builder

Wow Respect

I have not built my own Aircraft due to several reasons , but i did went trough a part 141 commercial School a few years back . Right now the plan in the next week is to get myself current on all the stuff night and day landings approaches and then start my instructor , goal to be finsihed by next march .

Keep the shiny side up

emarsh

I'm building the RV because there's no way I can afford to buy the kind of airplane I'd like so I've gotta build. I've always been into high performance machinery. Since I'm still learning to fly I'm clearly not capable of performance oriented flying yet but if history is any past indication I expect that eventually I'd like to at least take a shot at some aerobatics to see if I like it. I've been taking lessons in a Cessna 150 and it kind of feels like a flying Volkswagen Bug (the old style Beetle).

Bike Builder

C150

I am just a renter ,
still dreaming of my own plane ,... some day . I like the old 150 actually all cessnas they are so forgiving and with th high wings great for crosswind ( as far as the rudder has effect never further) I have flown so far 172Rg 172 with G1000 plenty of regular 172 150 to build time a T-Tail arrow and a started my twin in a Seneca with rayjays oh a catabria was in there too but i am not a taildragger friend and i had to stop due to personal rear right pocket low tide :)
This year seems to be a tough one with business so have just kept my tickets up .

But the need for speed does not go away.

emarsh

So what kind of bikes are you into? When I was younger I wanted to get into drag racing but couldn't afford a car. Back in 1973 I took my first bike, a Suzuki TS-185 down the track. One think led to another and by the early 1980s I was riding a Pro-Stock GS-1000. I became less active in the mid 80s though I did have Ninja 900 that I built to a 1024. In about 2002 I got a Hayabusa that I started to mod - first a pipe, then a dry nitrous system and finally a turbo. That kind of power turned out to be kind of useless for the street so I set it up for the strip and bought a ZX-14 for putting around town.

Duncan1574

Lodge Chaplain & arms dealer
I have my PPL with complex & hi-pref ratings, I was well on my way to my Instrument rating when I lost my high paying job in IT.

I have flown many aircraft: Piper Arrow, Archer, Warrior; Cessna 172, 182; Nanchang CJ-6a, Yak-52, BT-13, SE-240.

I miss it, but with my new balance issues, cateracts starting, and a floater in my right eye the chances of me getting back into flying seriously are small.:mad:

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
Not a pilot, but my uncle had a two planes. I honestly felt more comfortable in them then some commercial planes I have been on. He offered to let me fly one once but it was my first time up with him and nervous as heck as I'm not a height person.

publius

Master Mason
I'm not a pilot yet but my father is and yeah Jason, I'm much more comfortable in a private plane than commercial. Unless you are in the mountains or over water you usually can find a place to set down a prop plane if you have problems. private jet is a little more dicey but I'd rather be in it landing in a field or on a highway that a 737. Private plane also operates on your schedule and you don't have to be sexually assaulted by the TSA before you board.

emarsh

I don't much care for heights either - but that's one of the reasons I decided to learn to fly. In fact I asked my wife for some aerobatic lessons for my birthday. There can be a lot of personal satisfaction to facing one's fear and moving to the other side of them.

Well out to the shop. I'm trying to get some momentum going on my build. I will probably be fitting the skin to the right wing before too long.

G

Gary

Take some pics brother! I don't fly, but I love aircraft. I'm sure the others would love to see your project too.

D.J.Elliott

I started taking lessons ( An expensive hobby ) and was just about ready to solo when I found out I need to have a heart valve replaced and that will disqualify me medically. I'm hoping after the surgery I'm able to get a waiver from the FAA

Duncan1574

I started taking lessons ( An expensive hobby ) and was just about ready to solo when I found out I need to have a heart valve replaced and that will disqualify me medically. I'm hoping after the surgery I'm able to get a waiver from the FAA
Bernoulli effect has nothing to do with aircraft overcoming gravity, its money that makes airplanes fly. The more money you have, the faster, higher, and farther you can fly.:)

If you don't have one already, get yourself an AME that is NOT your regular doctor.

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
Bernoulli effect has nothing to do with aircraft overcoming gravity, its money that makes airplanes fly. The more money you have, the faster, higher, and farther you can fly.:)

If you don't have one already, get yourself an AME that is NOT your regular doctor.
About 25 years ago, a USAF pilot told me that all the Bernoulli theories of flight were rubbish. F-4s were only able to get off the ground because of ugliness.
The Earth repelled them.
I can also believe this about helicopters!

;-})

Duncan1574

About 25 years ago, a USAF pilot told me that all the Bernoulli theories of flight were rubbish. F-4s were only able to get off the ground because of ugliness.
The Earth repelled them.
I can also believe this about helicopters!

;-})
Agreed and I am just not sure about an aircraft were the wings fly faster than the rest of it! :eek:

FamilyMan

Fidelis ad Mortem
I agree with this suggestion for everyone!

You don't want your AME picking apart your last 20 years of medical records and knowing every time you came in with an ingrown toenail. Similarly, you wouldn't want to worry about telling your PCP about something serious, wondering if your medical certificate might get yanked in the process. IMHO.

Winter

I've been here before
I was a Helicopter Crew Chief in the USAF with Search & Rescue and was part of the aircrew. It's the only way to fly!

If it doesn't hover, it sucks and blows! :D

Oh, and helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission. And they're not aircraft, they're 10,000 nuts, bolts, and spare parts flying in close formation.

(When 9/11 happened I went back in the miitary, but in the Army that time, and as a Paladin Gunner (mechanized artillary). Not nearly as fun as screaming in NOE on a hot pick-up, but at least I got to blow stuff up with my one five five!

Bob Franks

Past District Deputy Grand Lecturer
I was a Helicopter Crew Chief in the USAF with Search & Rescue and was part of the aircrew. It's the only way to fly!

If it doesn't hover, it sucks and blows! :D

Oh, and helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission. And they're not aircraft, they're 10,000 nuts, bolts, and spare parts flying in close formation.

(When 9/11 happened I went back in the miitary, but in the Army that time, and as a Paladin Gunner (mechanized artillary). Not nearly as fun as screaming in NOE on a hot pick-up, but at least I got to blow stuff up with my one five five!
You can have the NOE stuff! I tried that ONE TIME with a rotary pilot friend at the end of a training deployment; no thanks.

Blowin' stuff up with a 1-5-5? Oh, yeah, baby!
And one time the engineers let me pull the activator on the detonator for a complex shot. 500 lb cratering charge, det cord to fell some tactical trees and some other stuff. Woo-woo!!
I had a pretty checkered career providing medical support...