Anyone reading

pcwardlaw

The book by Michael A. Halleran The Better Angels of Our Nature: Freemasonry in the American Civil War

I've not been to interested in the Civil War history but this book seems like I may enjoy it

jason

Seanchaí
Staff member
I finally got it back from a friend. Well I got it back earlier this month. I think it will be my next Masonic book I read.

CoachN

Builder Builder
Not sure i have the freemson for dummies book.I bought a few weeks after joining.And American freemasons by Mark A. Tabbert,
Let me ask my question differently: Are you more interested in masonic history or ritual or members... etc??? as in "Which topic interests you most?"

Michael Karpovage

Author, Crown of Serpents
pcwardlaw,

I read Michael Halleran's book and here is my review as posted on his Amazon link:

"The Better Angels of Our Nature is an incredible study of individual Masons acting on one of their most sacred tenets - charitable relief of a fellow brother in severe distress. What is astounding is the setting: the killing fields of the Civil War, for these Masons are enemies. One minute they are locked in brutal combat killing each another, the next they are displaying unequaled acts of kindness. What is the basis for their actions? Michael A. Halleran not only tells their stories, but he also explains their motivations. The answer comes down to a man keeping his promise, his Word, his obligation to the fraternity of Freemasonry regardless of his political allegiance to state or nation. These stories are verified by Halleran's in-depth research and cross-source referencing in a history detective passion for the truth. From life-saving battlefield examples to prisoner relief to protecting property, the soldiers of Freemasonry show through their actions what Halleran writes in his Afterword, "...that the fraternal bond transcended nationality."

If you're looking for another great book, but in the mystery thriller fiction category, look no farther than the bombshell Crown of Serpents by yours truly! A page turner for Masons and non-Masons alike that is garnering excellent reviews by Brothers.

Crown of Serpents

pcwardlaw

Let me ask my question differently: Are you more interested in masonic history or ritual or members... etc??? as in "Which topic interests you most?"
I usually read biographies mostly.But the history interests me.Sorry for the delay in reply.

Custer148

Masonic Traveler
The book by Michael A. Halleran The Better Angels of Our Nature: Freemasonry in the American Civil War

I've not been to interested in the Civil War history but this book seems like I may enjoy it
Just got this book from Amazon, I started reading it last night and got about 1/3 of the way finished before I heard my pillow calling. It is a good book so far.

safira218

pcwardlaw,

I read Michael Halleran's book and here is my review as posted on his Amazon link:

"The Better Angels of Our Nature is an incredible study of individual Masons acting on one of their most sacred tenets - charitable relief of a fellow brother in severe distress. What is astounding is the setting: the killing fields of the Civil War, for these Masons are enemies. One minute they are locked in brutal combat killing each another, the next they are displaying unequaled acts of kindness. What is the basis for their actions? Michael A. Halleran not only tells their stories, but he also explains their motivations. The answer comes down to a man keeping his promise, his Word, his obligation to the fraternity of Freemasonry regardless of his political allegiance to state or nation. These stories are verified by Halleran's in-depth research and cross-source referencing in a history detective passion for the truth. From life-saving battlefield examples to prisoner relief to protecting property, the soldiers of Freemasonry show through their actions what Halleran writes in his Afterword, "...that the fraternal bond transcended nationality."

If you're looking for another great book, but in the mystery thriller fiction category, look no farther than the bombshell Crown of Serpents by yours truly! A page turner for Masons and non-Masons alike that is garnering excellent reviews by Brothers.

Crown of Serpents
I usually read biographies mostly.But the history interests me.Sorry for the delay in reply.