Aquariums

BG_TRBL

Watcher of the posts
I will check them out Ashlar, I appreciate the info. We have actually tried both though. The weird thing to me is, they will live 1 to 1 1/2 months, then we start to have problems. Very frustrating to me, as we have diligently been trying to establish a system. Then all of the sudden, things go south FAST.

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
When you set up a new aquarium the first month or two are the toughest . Cycling can be a pain because you are constantly running water tests , keeping an eye on the Ammonia , Nitrites and Nitrates and the pH . If the Ammonia spikes , then you have to do a Partial water change to keep it in check if you are in-fish cycling , then the bacteria will start to build up and convert the ammonia to Nitrites , then Nitrites will spike and then convert to the less poisonous Nitrate . The excess Nitrates will be removed by weekly water changes .

Ashlar2006

Masonic Mafia
I will check them out Ashlar, I appreciate the info. We have actually tried both though. The weird thing to me is, they will live 1 to 1 1/2 months, then we start to have problems. Very frustrating to me, as we have diligently been trying to establish a system. Then all of the sudden, things go south FAST.
Goldfish are messy and carry a big bio-load on an aquarium . One goldfish needs at least 20 gallons of water and 10 gallons per each additional Gold fish . So if you had 3 gold fish you would need a 40 gal. aquarium ideally . With a 10 gallon , I would go with Neon Tetra . They have a small bio-load , they are not as boisterous as other tetra and do well in a 10 gal. set-up .

Another thing , while you are cycling , do not change out your filter media . Leave it alone . If it does need to be cleaned , just rinse it off in dechlorinated water that matches the water temp of your tank . I have not changed my filter media in a year . I just rinse it off in the old tank water I have removed from the aquarium and replace them back in the filter .